Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times

Advertisements

Here's a thread for you to tell us about one professor you absolutely adored or rather despised and why?

I'll go first ... one professor I despised was one who was supposed to write letter of recommendations for me for grad school, I applied 6 grad schools and I asked him to write 3 of 'em, well he forgot and I couldn't get a hold of him until the deadlines were due and those apps didn't go through. In the end I got into 2/3 of the rest I applied. I guess I wouldn't say I despised him but he was really irresponsible and a bad role model for his students.

A professor I adored and I guess I would have to name more than one but they all fell into the same category where even in a class of 300, they would remember your name (given you show up in class) and even take some time to get to know you one and one and treat you as an individual more than just a number. Some of 'em were exceptionally helpful during my school years and I still keep in contact with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I had a chem professor who told everyone (all RN's working toward their BSN's)that he would, of course, curve the grades. After all, we weren't looking for a career in chemistry. There were around 24 of us. After the finals, he posted the grades and curved no one. He always had a snied smile on his face, too, about the whole deal. Jerk.
I had alot of decent professors, but can't think of one that particularly stands out. Long ago...

Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times
It's always the bad apples that are more memorable ain't it.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,527 times
I haven't really had a prof i despise. I had a really bad one that would go off on wild tangents and not teach but he was a good guy. My favorite prof was one of phil. I came in as kinda anti-christian until i took his class and i got hooked on his teaching methods and the information he gave. After it was all said and done i went through every single phil class he offered and ended up with a minor in phil. Now I have a good deal of respect of the christian religion. Maybe not all christians, but i do for the religion.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
I went to one of those colleges geared to the non-traditional adult learner, and had a simply astounding variety of instructors.

The worst one was in a required gen-ed course called "Natural Science." For whatever reason, the college had this notion that all instructors must possess a Master's Degree in order to teach there, no matter what. And for that reason, they had a guy with an MBA teaching this science class, which, by the way, was on a par with your average 10th grade science curriculum. I took verbatim notes of some of his more egregiously ignorant quotes:

“I don’t know how they came up with that.” (Referring to the speed of light.)
“I don’t know the conversion from a metric ton to a regular ton.”
“The nucleus is a mass and there’s energy in there.”
“I couldn’t quite understand the importance of the hydrogen bond but maybe we can figure it out.”
“I don’t know how they tell the difference between Carbon-12 and Carbon-14.”

Interestingly enough, the best instructor I ever had was at the same college. I took Cost Accounting and both sections of Advanced Accounting from a professional in the field who was absolutely passionate about the subject, and who was also extraordinarily gifted at delivering instructional material, and I was honestly sad when the courses came to an end. She was a phenomenal instructor, and to this day I use things she taught me.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM

117 posts, read 394,646 times
A professor that I really dispised was this last semester In a research writing Course. He was one of the people that had a really sarcastic and fake personality that I could not stand. He was a teacher that would play favorites in the class and the favorites 99% of the time would get A's. He would always give me a C no matter what I did because he knew I disliked him but wouldnt fail me cause he knew he would probably get in trouble.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
Adored- I had a graphics design professor who wrote letter of recommendation for me that helped me get into a study abroad program

Despised- Had an art teacher I told her from the beginning I had absolutely no art skill what's so ever. She made me feel like trash because my work didn't look like everyone else's. She even told me the one piece I worked 14hrs on looked like I slopped paint on it and said in front of the class it was so horrible and disgusting she couldn't look at it.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
Not despise, but serious disrespect.

After one semester of college Spanish (none in high school) I took semester two. The prof came in the first day and instructed us to read the assigned Spanish novel and if we had and questions or difficulties she had a list tutors who were available for $10 an hour.

This is teaching? Oh yeah I guess it is--after you get tenure.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
Interestingly, all the best college instructors I ever had were in Jr/Community colleges. They had smaller classes and were available and interested in the students.

When I moved to a higher university into classes with tenured professors, none of them gave a damn about the students or teaching. Every single one of them was distant, inaccessible, and completely indifferent to the students in the class.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM

113 posts, read 425,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Adored- I had a graphics design professor who wrote letter of recommendation for me that helped me get into a study abroad program

Despised- Had an art teacher I told her from the beginning I had absolutely no art skill what's so ever. She made me feel like trash because my work didn't look like everyone else's. She even told me the one piece I worked 14hrs on looked like I slopped paint on it and said in front of the class it was so horrible and disgusting she couldn't look at it.
That's Horrible!!!!!!!!!! I'm an art teacher (child development through 6th grade), but holy moly! What a horrible teacher! When kids tell me they have no skill or can't do it, I tell them to keep practicing & you can the best you can do & that nobody's work looks the same. I couldn't imagine ever saying to a student that their work was so disgusting I couldn't look at it! She's given up as a teacher & shouldn't be teaching!

I never despised a professor. I did a high school teacher though. She taught Algebra 2 & she was 2 years away from retirement. She told me the 2nd week of school that I might as well give up because I was going to fail anyway! Can you believe that?!

Most adored: I had many of those! A math teacher who helped me to like math (after the previous devil who turned me off of it). An art teacher who made me see that I was capable of making anything I wanted as long as I kept trying. I'm 26, my art teacher has retired & I still talk to him! He was & always will be my role model to be the best teacher ever! & that teacher I despised... She also made me be a great teacher... I will NEVER be like her!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities