Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,269,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Stay away from any for-profit school especially corporations. Only go to: government funded, non-profit, or private (with good track record).

Here is the stock ticker for UoP

APOL - Apollo Group, Inc. - Google Finance
Yeah, this should be a deterrent, but apparently there are happy customers.

Here is an article discussing some of their for profit tactics and how that translates into poor education:

Troubles, Complaints Grow For School Built on Profits - The Tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,384 times
Default My UOP degree will NOT be an online degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I have a good friend who graduated from U of P and is doing very well in Atlanta working for a tech company, supervising the folks who design software for major health insurance companies like Blue Cross.
I personally am wary of online degrees, but I can say it worked out for at least one person.
This is replying to all UOP cridicts.

I am a senior student of UOP. I attend the campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Yes, I attend an actual class for 4 hours a night, 2 nights a week. I am NOT taking taking online classes. Many wrongly accuse UOP of only online classes.
PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

I am not earning my degree easily. Each class counts for attendence, participation, and I must submit at least a minimum 2000 word assignment weekly, plus a 3000 to 5000 word final paper for each class.

Papers are checked for grammer, content, and plagieriesm. Papers which are plagierized receive a "0" and the student will face legal issues.

I have a 3.0 average, but do NOT have "A"s in all my classes, because UOP does NOT give out "A"s.

I work for a large Baton Rouge hospital which does reimburse UOP tuition.

Before enrolling at UOP, I attended LSU. All thirty of my credits earned at LSU transerred easily to UOP.

I transferred from LSU to UOP, because UOP offers a schedule with no semester breaks, which is typical of a traditional college. No semester breaks means faster completion.

Once again, my UOP classes are NOT online and my passing grades are NOT earned easily. Please get the facts straight.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,915,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannahlaine View Post
This is replying to all UOP cridicts critics.

I am a senior student of UOP. I attend the campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Yes, I attend an actual class for 4 hours a night, 2 nights a week. I am NOT taking taking online classes. Many wrongly accuse UOP of only online classes.

I am not earning my degree easily. Each class counts for attendence attendance, participation, and I must submit at least a minimum 2000 word assignment weekly, plus a 3000 to 5000 word final paper for each class.

Papers are checked for grammer grammar, content, and plagieriesm plagiarism . Papers which are plagierized plagiarized receive a "0" and the student will face legal issues.

I have a 3.0 average, but do NOT have "A"s in all my classes, because UOP does NOT give out "A"s.

Before enrolling at UOP, I attended LSU. All thirty of my credits earned at LSU transerred transferred easily to UOP.

I transferred from LSU to UOP, because UOP offers a schedule with no semester breaks, which is typical of a traditional college. No semester breaks means faster completion.

Once again, my UOP classes are NOT online and my passing grades are NOT earned easily. Please get the facts straight.

I know I am FAR from perfect, but if someone is going to come on and defend their college as quality, one should check for spelling error's in the post. The software underlines them in RED! Its really easy to check. I put the correct spelling in green after the misspellings.

I have definitely made typos and grammatical errors in my posts here at C-D, but if I were to come on and talk about how great/tough my program was, I would use the automatic spell check function provided in the C-D forums.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,405,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I have a good friend who graduated from U of P and is doing very well in Atlanta working for a tech company, supervising the folks who design software for major health insurance companies like Blue Cross.
I personally am wary of online degrees, but I can say it worked out for at least one person.
He probably would have done well regardless of the school. UOP is not one of the best. Your friend probably would have excelled regardless where he went.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I am a senior student of UOP.

Many wrongly accuse UOP of only online classes.

I am not earning my degree easily. Each class counts for attendence, participation

Papers which are plagierized

I have a 3.0 average, but do NOT have "A"s in all my classes, because UOP does NOT give out "A"s..
You've made quite a few grammar errors. I indicated some of them in bold.

The red highlighting indicates a circular statemtent. I do not have A's in all my classes because I have a 3.0 average because I do not have A's in all my classes. This sentence needs to be re-written.

Stateing that a school refuses to grant an "A" grade is a serious accusation. If true, it would bring their accredation into question. Please explan that assertion further.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,013,950 times
Quote:
This is replying to all UOP cridicts.

I am not earning my degree easily. Each class counts for attendence, participation, and I must submit at least a minimum 2000 word assignment weekly, plus a 3000 to 5000 word final paper for each class.

Papers are checked for grammer, content, and plagieriesm. Papers which are plagierized receive a "0" and the student will face legal issues.

Before enrolling at UOP, I attended LSU. All thirty of my credits earned at LSU transerred easily to UOP.

Just because the classes are not easy and you have to write long papers does not mean you are receiving a good education.

U of P is being sued constantly and the BBB is consistently receiving complaints about their business practices. In fact, U of P is one of the most complained about businesses in the U.S.

How do you think a organization that does not practice ethical or correct business practices to teach them to their students?

One of their favorite things to do is to receive tuition from a financial aid source and then tell the student they never received the money and then bill the student. When they dont pay, they kick the student out of school and turn them over to collections.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:03 AM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,889 times
Personally I would try and stay away from University of Phoenix if you can get away with it.

The reason I'd stay away isn't because of the quality of education. I have never personally attended UoP classes so I will never know.

The main reason is because of the current stigma UoP is under. It's like getting a D.O instead of a M.D. D.Os and M.Ds are both ceritifed medical degrees that go through the same training, same residency processes with the same salary and distinction (lets disregard minor philosphy/selection differences).

However you may recieve some stigma with a D.O, maybe with your patients or arrogant M.Ds (D.Os are much nicer in general anyways). Therefore whether justified or not, it will sometimes hurt you. This is much like going to UoP and you must make your own decision of whethers it worth it. You can be perfectly successful if its a reasonable education.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,013,950 times
It just doesnt make sense to attend U of P. They are really expensive and as you mentioned they have a stigma that could jeopardize a good job opportunity.

It's like if someone was selling a Ford for $20,000 and a Lexus for $10,000. Why would you buy the Ford?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,366,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
You've made quite a few grammar errors. I indicated some of them in bold.

The red highlighting indicates a circular statemtent. I do not have A's in all my classes because I have a 3.0 average because I do not have A's in all my classes. This sentence needs to be re-written.

Stateing that a school refuses to grant an "A" grade is a serious accusation. If true, it would bring their accredation into question. Please explan that assertion further.
And you spelled "stating" wrong, so what? I'm not a fan of UOP, but I understood what she was trying to say; she didn't mean that they don't give out A's at all, she was just trying to say that they don't give out easy A's.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It just doesnt make sense to attend U of P. They are really expensive and as you mentioned they have a stigma that could jeopardize a good job opportunity.

It's like if someone was selling a Ford for $20,000 and a Lexus for $10,000. Why would you buy the Ford?
UoP has a graduation rate of 16%--that is the lowest in the nation according to the article linked to above. The average for all American universities is 55% (Freshman to graduation in six years is the measure). The measure for UoP is 6% at the Southern California campus and 4% among on-line students.

“Their business degree is an MBA Lite,” said Henry M. Levin, a professor of higher education at Teachers College at Columbia University. “I’ve looked at their course materials. It’s a very low level of instruction.”

THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN APPLIED FOR ACCREDATION FROM AACSB. (ouch!)

Look at www.ripoffreport.com and www.uopexperience.com

There are plenty of good schools that work with the employed adult:
www.ncu.edu
www.tesc.edu
Online Program Information | Extended Education | CSU (also in the search box for the California State University system type in "distance degree")

Also look here: Bachelor In Business - Degree Programs & Business Resources (http://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/degree/bachelor-degrees-in-business.html - broken link)
...but be careful....research the institution BEFORE you talk to them.

Last edited by dcashley; 05-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: left out tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities