Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 AM

378 posts, read 626,368 times

Advertisements

Before you answer that question, let me give you some background on the high school I went to in a bad city in California.

In my high school, the kids didn't want to learn. The teachers didn't actually teach things (I recall one teacher always put in reality TV shows on TV, instead of us doing anything). The education in this high school just didn't exist. I learned nothing. The substitues also hated being there... and sometimes they got mad at a disruptive class and said it.

The high school I went to was also over 70% Latino, and I think a lot were kids of illegal alien parents. The school was also ugly and I've heard before that it was poor in money to fix things. It was just pointless going there, and it's the only high school I've ever been to.

I was just wondering... how does Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc, compare to this high school? Are Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc, really any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
first of all. the biggest scam is the lie that schools do not get enough funding. they may misappropriate their funds but most schools get what they need and more. throwing money at a problem where money is not the issue is the case of denial. students don't want to learn because they have other issues or just moronic values (cultural), and teachers don't teach either because they don't take the students seriously or they feel it's pointless to try. i was in a school that had many disruptive students but i still tried to apply myself, meaning i did not disrespect teachers or students without warrant etc. this is a problem of values as well, not just a case of money. some students expect the teacher to figure out everything for them and spell it out on their level and are slothful. there has to be a balance. also, there are many bad teachers that are condescending, do not relate well or are not sincerely interested in helping students understand the material. i've seen both.

the most pathetic and silliest movies i've seen are of inner-city schools and how they are patronized and felt sorry for. it's a pretty accurate reflection of the moronic societal values though. these students did not care and did not try. even if they were in bad situations at home, then it should have behooved them to even be more interested in education to get out of it if they could, not that all could unfortunately. there is less money thrown around in other country's school system and they actually are interested in education.

vandalism and school graffiti, violence, general disruptiveness and disrespect not only to teachers but their classmates(though some students do have legitimate psychological and physical problems and learning disbilities) is more a symptom of the negative aspects of the culture, upbringing and also their parents generally. Unfortunately, this also occurs in schools in nice areas and students with money!

Last edited by leaana; 03-25-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Why are you attempting to compare a high school to old, established research universities?

Last edited by photobuff42; 03-25-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Before you answer that question, let me give you some background on the high school I went to in a bad city in California.

In my high school, the kids didn't want to learn. The teachers didn't actually teach things (I recall one teacher always put in reality TV shows on TV, instead of us doing anything). The education in this high school just didn't exist. I learned nothing. The substitues also hated being there... and sometimes they got mad at a disruptive class and said it.

The high school I went to was also over 70% Latino, and I think a lot were kids of illegal alien parents. The school was also ugly and I've heard before that it was poor in money to fix things. It was just pointless going there, and it's the only high school I've ever been to.

I was just wondering... how does Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc, compare to this high school? Are Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc, really any good?
A "bad city" in a "bad school" with "70% Latinos" whose parents are "illegal aliens"...

You're trying to start some mess.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post

to answer your question, no, Harvard, Yale, and Oxford are actually very mediocre, not much better than a community college in Mississippi. very low standards, the kids that go there tend not to be the smartest card in the stack, and your prospects post graduation are so low, you might as well go to University of Phoenix or some podunk trade school. bad schools all around

are you serious with this question? or did you just crawl out from underneath some rock and have never heard of Harvard, Yale, or Oxford? how do you even compare these things? seriously, I hope this isn't a serious question or that you're just some silly troll. if you need to ask this question, than I wouldn't worry too much about getting accepted to either one of those schools since you wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting in

Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
Are Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc, really any good?
They're overrated. Probably not better than some HS in east LA. Don't bother going there.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
The biggest difference between the elite schools is the profs. At the truly elite schools you have the profs who are among the tops in their fields. Princeton is a great example their economics department is headed by the most well known economist of our time in Paul Krugman. He has a Nobel price and writes an op-ed in the NY Times. Cornell West heads the religion department. Go to a very good middle tier school and you will have professors who were either students of Krugman or studied under the same people as he did but didn't make it like he did. The same for Harvard, Yale, etc. The top schools have Nobel prize, Fields Medal, or Pulitzer winners as profs. They are the best in their field.

Also the top schools recruit from the middle tier schools very aggressively. I lived in Ohio for most of my life. Chase Law school at the University of Cincinnati was a tier one law school. Which means it is a top 50 school. One year Chase lost five profs to top 10 schools or retirement. The next year they dropped out of the top 50. The result many of their students lost jobs as many firms base hiring upon ratings.

The biggest difference is the people.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
to answer your question, no, Harvard, Yale, and Oxford are actually very mediocre, not much better than a community college in Mississippi. very low standards, the kids that go there tend not to be the smartest card in the stack, and your prospects post graduation are so low, you might as well go to University of Phoenix or some podunk trade school. bad schools all around
Using your evaluation I guess Univ of Penn, Drexel and Princeton are also schools to avoid. So I wonder what school can you bring to this forum that can send a positive message to the sender and readers...Funny you mention Univ of Phoenix and a trade school in a negative fashion. I wonder if you tell your plumber or electrician who will come to your rescue as someone the world could just be without their knowledge.

Also I am not sure what you mean by "some podunk trade school". Care to rephrase?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,678 times
Hi there. Do you understand what the difference is between mandatory public education and private, selective higher education?

Public schools educate all children. These are people under the age of 18. Harvard and Yale educate adults. These are people over the age of 18.

Public school is required for people under 18, unless they can attend
private school or be homeschooled. Private universities are not required for people over 18 because people over 18 are adults.

Public schools teach everyone regardless of ability, aptitude, and interest. This means public schools teach everyone. Harvard and Yale have extremely selective application processes. This means they teach who they want.

Public schools cannot build multiple theaters, Olympic-sized pools, gyms, and libraries that stock one million volumes. This is because public schools do not have enough money to do this. Private universities can build multiple theaters, Olympic-sized pools, gyms, and libraries that stock one million volumes. This is because private universities have a lot of money.

Public schools do not cost money because they are free. Private universities cost a lot of money because they are not free.

I hope that helps. As for your comment that your inner city school was a failure because of all those Latinos, a ton of whom you "think" were the children of illegal immigrants...Harvard and Yale take plenty of people like that too. Turns out a lot of them are smart, driven, and dedicated. You know, kind of like any other social group. So in that way, I suppose your high school and the Ivies do have something in common: they're kinder to immigrants than you are.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Using your evaluation I guess Univ of Penn, Drexel and Princeton are also schools to avoid. So I wonder what school can you bring to this forum that can send a positive message to the sender and readers...Funny you mention Univ of Phoenix and a trade school in a negative fashion. I wonder if you tell your plumber or electrician who will come to your rescue as someone the world could just be without their knowledge.

Also I am not sure what you mean by "some podunk trade school". Care to rephrase?
*psst* I was being sarcastic lighten up a bit, will ya! I'd like to hope that i won't need to use a rolleyes smiley face every time I'm being sarcastic!

I just find it amusing that the OP is seemingly asking us to compare 3 of the top universities on planet Earth w/ a inner city high school he spends most of his original post bashing and complaining about how bad it is. again, not even sure how one compares these two completely different entities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities