Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times

Advertisements

My DH went to Cal Tech, which is rated higher than many IVies. He went to grad school at the University of Illinois. He had an oppotunity to work in the same lab with JOhn Bardeen, who won one of his Nobel Prizes while DH was there. He was also accepted at Berkeley. You go with what is best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM

157 posts, read 494,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My DH went to Cal Tech, which is rated higher than many IVies. He went to grad school at the University of Illinois. He had an oppotunity to work in the same lab with JOhn Bardeen, who won one of his Nobel Prizes while DH was there. He was also accepted at Berkeley. You go with what is best for you.
UIUC would be considered "top tier" school no problem, in one of fields I am familiar with---material science engineering, it is ranked #1, so in that sense, UIUC is in same group with UMich or UCB as "top tier", even in many other fields Illinois is greatly respected.... UMich and UCB were just two random examples I gave, point was to show academically elite public schools. Therefore going from CalTech to UIUC makes perfect sense to me. But from Ivy to UVa I just dont see it yet. Mr.Juggernaut, why?!

Last edited by zoo_x; 04-14-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 PM

652 posts, read 1,789,359 times
Default Ivy schmivy

Wow. It's hard to believe what I already know is true even when I see it. First of all to be a plumber among those who did not go to school, or blue collar as some like to call it is like being a ceo among the white collared. Besides electrician it is the best job an uneducated (relative term) person could hope to get unless they generated their own business. Plumbers and electricians routinely make over 100K in cities (if they are any good) even bad ones and travelors make 45-60K working less than 7 months a year.
Most uneducated, non union working people make 30K or less.
I bring this up because money has become the way to measure ones abilities. The OP points out that many fall into this category of snob, and yes they are played to by those who wish to create a larger group of snobs for their own reasons. But as a rule people do not assume superiority over one another due to class in the US unless they have been raised to do so, or simply are that weak of character.
I know and have known many BA, MA, MBA, and PhD's. The fact of the matter is most of them could not reason their way out of a wet paper bag for all the "reason" they learned at school. Higher education seems to have become so specialized or perverted in it's intent that those whom reach the pinacles are left completely w/o any concept of their fellow man as anything other than a peer. Those whom are not so molded find they are not peers for long or have it very hard.
The "average Joe" once the everyman hero of American society is now a joke (in the media at least) and making enquiry and using deduction to arrive at conclusions is non-existent. The mind as a thing that is able to figure things out is not even a concept any longer and wrote memorization is put forth as knowledge and what the result of such an education should be.
We may or may not be seeing trained snobbery in Ivy League schools, we certainly are seeing the progressive, calculated, directed destruction of modern American society for the apparent ends of creating a classed society controlled by sex and propaganda, where only the entitled few are on top and the rest live in poverty always struggling to find the next meal or make the next payment w/o hope of ever making it out of the ditch they are in. All the while repeatedly being told they only have to try a little harder and they will "make it". Once in a while someone is publically lifted above the rest to show us it is possible. These lifted ones almost always fall back to the lower levels as they do not have the knowledge to be able to stay at the heights. and no assistance is given. Of course this is their own fault.
Too paranoid? maybe but not far off I think.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 AM

67 posts, read 269,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo_x View Post
I was trying to be a bit funny but o well, my point is why don't you stay at top tier school ? for example, do you have many Ivy graduates around you? my guess is most of your Ivy friends like to stay at top schools.

I can understand there is this prof at UVa you want to work with, but there's gotta be a better professor doing same/similar work at a top tier school. why settle at UVa? is it because you applied to top tier school and got rejected?
You appear to be well out of touch with reality on several levels.

It looks like you're one of the people several of us have been describing in this thread--an academic snob. A guy/girl who cares about nothing other than status and rankings. A person who, if he/she could, would wear a badge stating all of his/her academic and professional accomplishments for all to see.

The truth? Nobody cares but you.

If you believe that's a good way to go through life, be my guest. Just remember that once you step out of the company of your like-minded circle of friends and colleagues, nobody else cares. Nobody else even knows what you're talking about. If you haven't experienced this by now, then I'm very sorry--you apparently lead a sheltered existence on this earth. I'm willing to bet that to the vast majority of Americans, there is MUCH more to life than university rankings and self-appointed sense of academic entitlement.

Do yourself a favor and read nutleynut's post for a different perspective, if you don't find that persepctive to be too low-class for you, that is.

Last edited by Juggernaut1547; 04-15-2009 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1547 View Post
You appear to be well out of touch with reality on several levels.

Do yourself a favor and read nutleynut's post for a different perspective, if you don't find that persepctive to be too low-class for you, that is.
thanks for your nice words and sarcasm, I honestly was asking you nicely why did you do it, because yes I maybe out of touch with reality. No one is born in touch with the reality, right? I was hoping to hear you opinion and learn, but you decided to not answering my questions.

I think you took my words the wrong way, I didn't understand your choice so I asked you, I didn't mean to say you made a wrong choice or anything.

but seems like you feel like to make fun of this "snob" and judging my "sheltered existence" rather than helping me out, o well. Are Ivies all like this..? too cocky to help out others?

Last edited by zoo_x; 04-15-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM

I do think nutleynut is protesting too much.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:41 PM

67 posts, read 269,619 times
Quote:
I think you took my words the wrong way, I didn't understand your choice so I asked you, I didn't mean to say you made a wrong choice or anything.
The wrong way? Really?

Quote:
May I ask why did you go from Ivy to UVa, did you fail some courses in Ivy? if you were to go to a public school shouldn't it be UMich or UCB?
Quote:
I was trying to be a bit funny but o well, my point is why don't you stay at top tier school ? for example, do you have many Ivy graduates around you? my guess is most of your Ivy friends like to stay at top schools.
Quote:
UIUC would be considered "top tier" school no problem, in one of fields I am familiar with---material science engineering, it is ranked #1, so in that sense, UIUC is in same group with UMich or UCB as "top tier", even in many other fields Illinois is greatly respected.... UMich and UCB were just two random examples I gave, point was to show academically elite public schools. Therefore going from CalTech to UIUC makes perfect sense to me. But from Ivy to UVa I just dont see it yet. Mr.Juggernaut, why?!
Well, I guess at least one of us needs to go back to English class.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM

like I've mentioned one time on this forum, English is not my native language, but I don't plan to go back to English class, if you think we are not same level, you can ignore everything below:

I looked over my comments you quoted, the first comment about your failing courses was slightly inappropriate, but I commented right afterwards said I was trying to be funny. besides that, I do not see anything wrong with the bolded text, basically I asked the same question three times, which is: why did you go from a well respected Ivy school to a non-top tier public school.

I asked a legit question and you decided to calling me "academic snob" and judging my "existence on earth", I don't know why you got mad and decided to attack me, I just hope not every Ivy is like you.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,357,614 times
By UVa, do you mean, University of Virginia? If that is the case, there is nothing abnormal about going from an Ivy to UVa. There are many that consider UVa the best public university in the country.

And Katiana, even though I agree with you quite a bit, the reason why a lot of people discredit the US News rankings now are because of the year they ranked Caltech first. That was a huge joke.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
By UVa, do you mean, University of Virginia? If that is the case, there is nothing abnormal about going from an Ivy to UVa. There are many that consider UVa the best public university in the country.

And Katiana, even though I agree with you quite a bit, the reason why a lot of people discredit the US News rankings now are because of the year they ranked Caltech first. That was a huge joke.
I don't know what year that was. My 2005 guide lists them #8, which is probably where they belong. Yes, they are an "institute of technology" not a university, but you can't do a lot better than them in science and engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities