Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,174 times

Advertisements

I have recently made the decision to become a secondary school English teacher. I had originally planned to apply for a Masters certification program, which is 13 months. I would get classroom experience, certification, and I would most likely get placed in a school.

However, now I am thinking about the advantages of grad school. However, I'm unsure whether or not I should get a masters in education or literature. I would prefer literature. That's what I studied in my undergrad.

I guess my question is how much more would I make with a Masters and is it worth an extra three years of school(grad school, then certification)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 PM

78 posts, read 331,763 times
In my opinion, it would be better in your situation to go for the masters in education. However, there is a glut on the market of english and history teachers. The MIE would at least give you a feel for the education field and possibly introduce you to other teachers and school systems for an IN. You could also try subbing or apply for a job at the independent or Cath schools.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:57 PM

605 posts, read 2,165,013 times
Go for the 13 month M.Ed. In about a year, you'll be all set to face a classroom, and you will have met the requirements for certification in your state. You're also correct that it's a great way to land your first job. (Of course, I'm biased as I'm currently enrolled in such a program).

If you pursue literature, you will spend not only two more years in school, but you will expend more $. As well, you will not receive instruction on education psychology, classroom management, or teaching methods to the extent that an alternative certification program will provide.

Teaching is a very high-turnover profession, with many new instructors leaving within five years. Your best shot at having a successful, enjoyable experience in teaching is to be trained specifically in classroom instruction. Programs, such as the M.Ed. you are considering, seem to have the highest success rates for preparing new teachers.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 AM

551 posts, read 1,579,398 times
I have a Master's in Education and highly recommend it. It was a great program. However, the money should not be a deciding factor. In my experience as a teacher the Master's degree is only going to get you an additional $1000-2000 per year(though you can write M.Ed. after your name!)

Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 AM

5,029 posts, read 10,759,785 times
If you really want to be a secondary or elementary teacher, and you are certain that is what you want to do, then get the MAT.
However, from what you have said, it sounds as if seconadary/elementary teaching isn't the proper career for you. Most s/e teachers automatically gravitate towards studying [the field of] education rather than their particular subject area. Those who are really interested in their subject area usually teach at the university-level and eventually get a Phd. It really depends on what level you wish to teach.
That said, I think a Master's in English would give you a lot of flexibility. However, you will probably have to take additional education courses to meet certification requirements. From what I have seen, an MAT is great for those who wish to teach at the s/e level. But if you are going to eventually get a Phd, then a straight Master's would be better.
As another poster said, though, there are a lot of English Master's candidates flooding the job market right now so most schools are weeding out by focusing on candidates who seem to be focused on education rather than their subject area. And the MAT does makes you a better teacher, especially at the s/e level, which is why most states require education clasees now for prospective teachers; it is very difficult to be a successful teacher without those classes, unless, as another poster stated, you teach in private or parochial schools.
It all really depends upon what you want to do.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
If you really want to be a secondary or elementary teacher, and you are certain that is what you want to do, then get the MAT.
However, from what you have said, it sounds as if seconadary/elementary teaching isn't the proper career for you. Most s/e teachers automatically gravitate towards studying [the field of] education rather than their particular subject area. Those who are really interested in their subject area usually teach at the university-level and eventually get a Phd. It really depends on what level you wish to teach.
That said, I think a Master's in English would give you a lot of flexibility. However, you will probably have to take additional education courses to meet certification requirements. From what I have seen, an MAT is great for those who wish to teach at the s/e level. But if you are going to eventually get a Phd, then a straight Master's would be better.
As another poster said, though, there are a lot of English Master's candidates flooding the job market right now so most schools are weeding out by focusing on candidates who seem to be focused on education rather than their subject area. And the MAT does makes you a better teacher, especially at the s/e level, which is why most states require education clasees now for prospective teachers; it is very difficult to be a successful teacher without those classes, unless, as another poster stated, you teach in private or parochial schools.
It all really depends upon what you want to do.
Thank you all for the advice. As far as literature, I love it, but what I really want to do is write. I have no desire for a Ph.d and I'm already laying the groundwork for a freelancing career. I do want to teach literature at a teenage level.

I always have time to go for the Masters. I already have the the bachelors literature. I think I need tools to better an effective teacher.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 AM

5,029 posts, read 10,759,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle_elle213 View Post
Thank you all for the advice. As far as literature, I love it, but what I really want to do is write. I have no desire for a Ph.d and I'm already laying the groundwork for a freelancing career. I do want to teach literature at a teenage level.

I always have time to go for the Masters. I already have the the bachelors literature. I think I need tools to better an effective teacher.
Then I would definitely get the MAT. It will give you a Master's as well as fulfill all of the cert requirements in a very efficient amount of time. And a lot of private schools (and some public schools, depending on where you are located) provide teachers with a professional development stipend to cover education/coursework costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities