Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lots of douchebag good ol boys?
Classy.

Agreed with the poster who wrote that there are just as many organizations in the north... they just aren't necessarily Greek-affiliated... which is almost worse because they are typically individual and not supervised by a national board.

A lot of good comes out of Greek systems for some kids. Philanthropy is a core concept and trust, fellowship, leadership, sense of respect and pride for community, etc, etc.

Those are the same ideals shared in Southern culture... so it's a natural fit for a lot of us who are natives and choose education in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,698,442 times
You're forgetting too, Southern Colleges and U. no matter how good can never truly qualify as "Ivy League". William and Mary was around BEFORE Harvard, but it doesnt get that credit.

I feel these Frat Houses and Sister Clubs are to make up for that
But then again, there are quite a few Southern Hipsters who shun them- especially at state schools such as VCU in Richmond , and U. of Georgia in Athens.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
You're forgetting too, Southern Colleges and U. no matter how good can never truly qualify as "Ivy League". William and Mary was around BEFORE Harvard, but it doesnt get that credit.

But then again, there are quite a few Southern Hipsters who shun them- especially at state schools such as VCU in Richmond , and U. of Georgia in Athens.
I don't think too many colleges in the south want to be "Ivy League." Most people can't even name all 8 ivies... let alone aspire to care about admission to one of their programs. A few have far higher acceptance rates and lower admissions standards than established southern university systems.

Also, people who don't join the Greek system aren't necessarily shunning it... they just make different choices and that's ok. Why should any group of students be bashed for their choice to participate in a particular sub culture?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,541,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Classy.

Agreed with the poster who wrote that there are just as many organizations in the north... they just aren't necessarily Greek-affiliated... which is almost worse because they are typically individual and not supervised by a national board.

A lot of good comes out of Greek systems for some kids. Philanthropy is a core concept and trust, fellowship, leadership, sense of respect and pride for community, etc, etc.

Those are the same ideals shared in Southern culture... so it's a natural fit for a lot of us who are natives and choose education in this area.
there are plenty of douchebag good ol boys in the north as well. The southern business culture though relies highly on networking even more so, so many fields if you want to be high up, a fraternity is a good spot. I am all about academic fraternities and sororities by the way. For most people, it is an excuse to party, etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,541,157 times
Quote:

Duke, Emory and Rice also offer Ivy quality educations, to a lesser extent WF, Vanderbilt, UVA and UNC in various departments are also up there.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,351,430 times
Quote:
Duke, Emory and Rice also offer Ivy quality educations, to a lesser extent WF, Vanderbilt, UVA and UNC in various departments are also up there.

Vandy and UVA are up there period.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 AM

655 posts, read 2,184,643 times
As a member of a fraternity in a southern school, I didn't intend to join, but found that I got along with the guys and decided to go ahead and take advantage of that opportunity.

I don't know that it would have happened had I not gotten to know the guys in my fraternity, but I can definitely say that it was a great decision. I do not regret it, at all, and find that it has truly made me much happier. I consider my brothers to be my closest friends - and no, I did not join for friends. I actually had more friends before I pledged. (Go figure.)

I couldn't be prouder!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 AM

806 posts, read 2,961,964 times
Quote:
there are plenty of douchebag good ol boys in the north as well. The southern business culture though relies highly on networking even more so, so many fields if you want to be high up, a fraternity is a good spot. I am all about academic fraternities and sororities by the way. For most people, it is an excuse to party, etc.
So being a member of fraternity makes you a douchebag? Wow. Pretty sure I had a great group of buddies (even now), ample fun, was able to get good access the academic aid, scholarships, etc. The benefits are great. I don't see why you'd put it down.

(btw: Northern fraternities....aren't the same... not all bad but some seem to be more Animal House like, dress up less, wear gel in their hair, Jersey beach, etc.)

Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
He doesn't seem interested anyway, but we told him no fraternities his freshman year.
You should really rethink this. The best time to join.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I dont ! Im Southern and I hate them.
Why? Fraternities represent the South well.. and have a lot of pride in it (like I know you do... especially in Richmond)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities