Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times

Advertisements

I know the academic field is very tight... And I am about to go into a terminal masters then a better doctoral program in philosophy.
I was thinking if I do not get a tenure track position or even a position at all in academia upon finishing... What i would do with this.
Unfortunately from talking to people, the prospects are very competitive and slim. But, I do want to do it for now regardless, it is better than what I am doing currently.

I am thinking of "what if" scenarios and have thought of adding law as a joint degree for better career prospects (many schools offer this)...but I really wouldn't want to practivce law per se or take the gigantic law debt....

I have looked at some international programs that offer 1 year LLM in International Law, International Human Rights etc... And I think that working for UN/UNESCO/ICC/other NGO/think tank/etc, in NYC, Geneva, Paris, London would be another favorable career.

I was wondering if anybody knew how a phd in philosophy and llm in international human rights/international law would be viewed for job prospects, or if this combination wouldn't be important at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,289,333 times
grapico,
I think your spirit is good but your approach is wrong.

You need to start from within...what it is you want and why?

I guarantee you...if deep down inside you do not know, it will be easy to see from miles away. The "I just want to get in" application will not get you anywhere decent unless of course your GRE and LSATs are off the chart.

SO life and lifestyle first...degree program second...

A terminal degree is one thing, but a Phd can be both a time and money pit. You gotta have a clearer plan to take such a plunge...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm definitely leaning towards the latter... Although teaching would be nice... I am probably not the best suited for the academic field, just my personality and lifestyle. I would probably hate living in a small college town or teaching at a community college, even though I would be doing something I love, I might have similar complaints in the long run. If you aren't the best of the best and in the top 10 universities in the field... Your chances of tenure track at a major uni is very slim. Probably too much risk. The fear of failure, especially in the academic ivory towers is much greater, than another related career, more city options, etc.

You are right though about this, the doctorate is probably too much time, too much money, slim pickings on location and career choices.

The latter would probably be the better bet.

So lets pose this question again, with masters in philosophy 2 year(focusing on ethics) + international law 1 year. It could satisfy both a desire to do something more challenging intellectually, and a career I would enjoy, while also priming my resume and substantially less debt. The combination to get into this, is what troubles me. I would love living in cities that focus on this... Boston/NYC/Geneva/London/Paris/Rotterdam etc.

Just a background, I have already done some humanatarian stuff + non profit stuff... in Chicago, also in Africa (Equatorial Guinea and Nigeria)

In undergrad I actually did Model UN, though it was nothing to do with my major (MIS)

Sandpoitian, I appreciate all the posts as of late.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,289,333 times
I would do the following. Go get a research oriented JD. If, afte three years you are still keen on deepening your intellectualism, get your SJD (sort of like a Ph.D. in law).

I think it is the most direct route.

When you start doing joint programs, it is really tough...a lot of divided loyalties. at one point I was in two PhD programs simultaneously on both coasts...not by plan...life got in the way...in the end I chose one, but left my heart in the other.

Law and politics; law and economics; law & relgiion; law& philosophy...these would be powerfu...but...do them at top programs and we are talking 8+ years. Just be aware. For each of these, consider the UK universities, Oxbridge, University College, LSE, etc....especially if you are looking toward Europe. Hell, if you are interested in the EU, then go right to Brussels

Finally from the pure money making POV, there is the JD/MBA.

Good Luck,
S.
P.S. "Sandpoitian, I appreciate all the posts as of late." --Was I not appreciated earlier?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Are you already a JD? I'm curious because most LLM programs are for people who already have law degrees (i.e. JD or a foreign law degree).

Most LLM students are foreign lawyers that get the degree because it usually enables them to practice law in the U.S. after studying for a year. There is a debate whether any of the other specialized LLM's (other than tax) really helps your job prospects. My guess is it only helps marginally.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 33,697 times
An LLM is an advanced degree for people who have already earned a JD. An LLM also does not allow you to sit for the bar exam in most states or practice law.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM

sorry I think I confused the LLB with LLM in europe.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
sorry I think I confused the LLB with LLM in europe.
An LLB is a bachelor's degree--the US is in the minority in that legal education here is done at the graduate level. In the UK, those with LLBs then go on to a 1 year postgraduate course before beginning a 1-2 year apprenticeship toward becoming a full-blown lawyer. You can also take a 1 year postgrad course in lieu of an LLB, then continue on with the post-LLB stuff I discussed above. Point is, all of that might not have too much application outside of the legal field. I do know that many European universities will offer master's degrees (and European master's degrees are generally only a year) in International Law or International Human Rights, studied from a political science perspective. Have you considered getting a master's in international relations focusing on human rights or international law here in the US?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I do know that many European universities will offer master's degrees (and European master's degrees are generally only a year) in International Law or International Human Rights, studied from a political science perspective. Have you considered getting a master's in international relations focusing on human rights or international law here in the US?
Okay back on track, these the ones I am talking about, from Rotterdam/Erasmus/Lyon etc. I thought they were considered an LLM (over there)...though there is a little confusion. I have thought about IR before... but most of those (from people I've talked to) seem to be getting placed in DC for the most part, taught from an american standpoint for the most part...not my cup of tea if I were to go that route. And there seems to be a saturation of people doing "IR" as of late. In that regard an mpp might be more beneficial, but not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities