Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:29 PM

21 posts, read 102,494 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with getting a Masters in Education online. So many of the programs seem to have a negative reputation and do not appear to be respected. Can anyone recommend a program or speak from experience? I (and anyone else I know) really do not have the money or time to waste on a program that will not be received well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 AM

3 posts, read 6,055 times
In an online program you are judge according to the university norms and get the same reorganization as any regular student.These are good university provide degree in masters DeVry University, Penn Foster College, Walden University .

Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM

94 posts, read 225,732 times
I have a Masters in Education from the University of Phoenix. It is accredited for an education degree but you will still have to jump through the hoops of your own state to get that teaching license. I have my teaching license and I teach 7th/8th grade English. UOP doesn't always have the greatest rep b/c people still look down on online learning .It was also way too expensive (30,000) but it was my only choice. We were moving every 2 years with the military life. I loved it. It allowed me to take classes online. I still had to do student teaching in a local public school. I would recommend it. I've never had anyone look down their nose at me about my degree as many teachers are doing the same thing. In fact our principal is getting her PhD from Walden (another online school).

Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,027,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee4me View Post
I have a Masters in Education from the University of Phoenix. It is accredited for an education degree but you will still have to jump through the hoops of your own state to get that teaching license. I have my teaching license and I teach 7th/8th grade English. UOP doesn't always have the greatest rep b/c people still look down on online learning .It was also way too expensive (30,000) but it was my only choice. We were moving every 2 years with the military life. I loved it. It allowed me to take classes online. I still had to do student teaching in a local public school. I would recommend it. I've never had anyone look down their nose at me about my degree as many teachers are doing the same thing. In fact our principal is getting her PhD from Walden (another online school).

U of P's reputation has nothing to do with people looking down on online learning. Their reputation has to do with the fact that they are a FOR PROFIT university and they put making money before providing an education. In fact, they care nothing about providing an education as long as they get your tuition. Not to mention all of their unethical business practices. U of P is one of the most complained about businesses in the history of the Better Business Bureau.

You did have other options. Many other options. For example, Park University is a school that has been around since the 1800s and is a private university that provides the same material for their physical classes as they do for their online classes. They actually are hooked up their the military and 75% of their students are those in the military. I am shocked you were in the military and were not pushed to go there.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,027,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLou View Post
Does anyone have any experience with getting a Masters in Education online. So many of the programs seem to have a negative reputation and do not appear to be respected. Can anyone recommend a program or speak from experience? I (and anyone else I know) really do not have the money or time to waste on a program that will not be received well.

As I mentioned in my previous post, look at Park University. It is a normal degree from a normal university that will be viewed no differently than a degree at any other brick and mortar school.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM

94 posts, read 225,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
U of P's reputation has nothing to do with people looking down on online learning. Their reputation has to do with the fact that they are a FOR PROFIT university and they put making money before providing an education. In fact, they care nothing about providing an education as long as they get your tuition. Not to mention all of their unethical business practices. U of P is one of the most complained about businesses in the history of the Better Business Bureau.

You did have other options. Many other options. For example, Park University is a school that has been around since the 1800s and is a private university that provides the same material for their physical classes as they do for their online classes. They actually are hooked up their the military and 75% of their students are those in the military. I am shocked you were in the military and were not pushed to go there.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm pretty sure that I did the best I could at the time given the options I was aware of. I had a good experience minus the price tag but I do hear your concerns. I was a military spouse and no one ever mentioned Park University to us. I am sure the original poster appreciates your input. It is always great to see that more schools are offering opportunities for people to further their education online. Another good source for information is www.degreeinfo.com

Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,366,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLou View Post
Most state universities have distance ed courses/programs that lead to an undergrad or graduate degree. Why not start where you rec'd your BA?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM

67 posts, read 285,981 times
I agree that getting your online degree from a brick and mortar college is the best choice. My state won't even accept degrees from UOP anymore. I got my master's from the University of Scranton and it couldn't have gone better, but I still would be reluctant to hire a teacher with a degree from Phoenix or one of the other big online-only schools.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,366,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post
I agree that getting your online degree from a brick and mortar college is the best choice. My state won't even accept degrees from UOP anymore. I got my master's from the University of Scranton and it couldn't have gone better, but I still would be reluctant to hire a teacher with a degree from Phoenix or one of the other big online-only schools.
a Royals fan (as I sit here in my UofS sweatshirt in the A/C)

Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 AM

198 posts, read 388,931 times
I just withdrew from the University of Phoenix after enrolling to receive a Master's in Secondary Education from them.

I withdrew for a few reasons:

#1) They seem to have zero reputation with employers.
#2) The quality of work being put out at the Master's level by students was quite appalling. (No where near Master's standards.)
#3) As were given out like candy.
#4) Business practices I just didn't agree with and think were fair.

I honestly don't recommed UoP to anyone.

The Braun Law Group out of California has initiated a class action alwsuit against UoP after some former students complained that the university was improperly returning federal loans and converting it into debt owed directly to the school. Class members are those students who secured Title IV loans for their education, dropped out of the school, had part or all of their loan monies returned tot he lender and were then hit with a bill directly from UoP. The lawsuit contends that to the extent a student had incurred education costs and was receiving the Title IV loans, UoP had no right to return those funds and then seek payment directly from the student.

Given the fact UoP is tied up in a class action lawsuit should speak volumes about the university as a whole.

I hope many people will stay away from UoP and not have to go through what I and others had to go through with them just to withdraw so we could try to pursue other avenues we felt were better for us.

Once UoP has you, they really don't want to let go. In the end, you truly will end up with a degree that doesn't hold a lot of water with employers. Your time, energy, and money will have been wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities