Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times

Advertisements

After twenty years in business, I've found that an MBA only means that you can be trusted with a box of kitchen matches. Beyond that, it really doesn't affect the basic ability of its holder. Certainly it has its value, particularly in large organizations where credentials are needed to advance to the executive suite. But to start your own company? Nope.

If you want to start a business, just do it. Anything else is simply stalling. I've worked with literally hundreds of entrepreneurs, men and women who decided to do their own thing. Very few had MBAs, but all of them had relentless drive and a very good idea. Those are more important than any degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,039 times
Quote:
i am hearing way way too much,----- i am not sure whether to be an entrepreneur an engineer or go back to get my MBA, did you want fries with that?
Cost of attending a top20 mba is roughly 100k. I think it would cost about that much to start up your engineering design firm...

Now, if the start up cost is way bigger than an MBA, one of the ways to get the capital would be through partnering (from your network). Then in this case I'd say an MBA from a top 20 is a good investment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities