Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,021,727 times

Advertisements

With a little truth, a lot of lies, and some money any college can make that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,536,709 times
artsysguy OK explain exactly how and then relate it to their methodology. You say a lot of things you can't back up- GO FOR IT!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,809,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Berkeley is the top school for Asians, yes.

I'd like to see a list of schools that turn ordinary, well-rounded students not only into exceptional mothers and fathers, but successful doctors, lawyers, scientists, businessmen, and people able to engage and respect people of any race and culture.

Ordinary students usually do well in buisness,even law but rarely in science.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,794,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
artsysguy OK explain exactly how and then relate it to their methodology. You say a lot of things you can't back up- GO FOR IT!
Not to fight artsysguy's battle for him, but in theory its true.

For example (tips to increase there standings):

1. Admit more low-income students.
  2. Spend more money on research. It doesn't matter if its good research or bad research. The study doesn't address that. They could spend $100million/year on studying how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
  3. Give out more PhDs.
  4. Give monetary incentives to entice students to join ROTC.

See what I'm saying. They can throw money at each of the categories to manipulate their standings. That says nothing of the quality of education. It could even hurt the quality of the education they offer. They may, for example, lower their grading/graduation standards to bump their ratings....That being said, this study is interesting and is certainly a novel take on academic ratings but is no more or less valuable than any of the other rating metrics used.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 PM

In theory it may be but a school can't just give out Phds without an approved program, is not something you write on a piece of paper. Next schools don't just have unlimited money to do reasearch-- In theory 540 I could have a $5 million house if I carefully spent $5 million constructing it- in practice I'm over $4 million short The same point can be made for your other factors.

In theory man would be smart enough to flap his arms/wings in a way that if he jumped off a big building he might know what he had to do in order to fly....

Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,109,646 times
Ranking colleges is pointless.

This study reeks of west coast bias. Other studies reek of east coast bias.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,794,623 times
Quote:
In theory it may be but a school can't just give out Phds without an approved program, is not something you write on a piece of paper. Next schools don't just have unlimited money to do reasearch-- In theory 540 I could have a $5 million house if I carefully spent $5 million constructing it- in practice I'm over $4 million short The same point can be made for your other factors.

In theory man would be smart enough to flap his arms/wings in a way that if he jumped off a big building he might know what he had to do in order to fly....
But the premise of artsyguy's argument was that IF the school had the money it could manipulate their standings. And thats very true. He never said they actually had the money, or that schools actually manipulated the study, but simply acknowledged the potential for manipulation.

And of course a school has to have a program approved before they offer PhDs but they do have a lot of freedom in how many degrees to award within that program. They can award 1 degree or 100.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,809,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
But the premise of artsyguy's argument was that IF the school had the money it could manipulate their standings. And thats very true. He never said they actually had the money, or that schools actually manipulated the study, but simply acknowledged the potential for manipulation.

And of course a school has to have a program approved before they offer PhDs but they do have a lot of freedom in how many degrees to award within that program. They can award 1 degree or 100.

Not really, people smart enough to earn a Phd go the best program in that field they can.Playing around with standards means no jobs for your grads which is why bogus degrees are concentrated in Ed.d field where they will ofter get you more money in public schools anyway.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 AM

25,157 posts, read 54,021,727 times
I thought you graduated from UT?

Quote:
Umm I my alma mater is Cal Berkeley Artsy-- Now I have a question for you? Be honest. How foolish do you feel about making that dumb guess.. or is it something you're so used to that it doesn't bother you?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:56 AM

NO Artsy be careful about jumping to conclusions. I live in the State of Texas but am critical of UT mostly because of the high number arrests on its football team and the sleazy way Mack Brown tried to pressure sportswriters in AP voting a few years ago. UT is one of the better southern state universities and it has loads of money, but that's as far as I would go. I did do a Visiting Professorship at a UT Branch that had criminology in 1992 ( Austin didn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities