Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,944,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post

Engineers are hired for all kinds of fields. Employers know that someone who has an engineering degreehas analytical skills and they got through a tough curriculum. There is nothing that an accountant can do that an engineer doesn't already know or can't be tought. I would recommend mechanical engineering (perhaps that is because I have my BS and MS in it). It is the broadest of engineering disciplines and if you aren't sure what you want to do, it gives you the most options.

The problem is that MBA programs are kind of a dime a dozen now and there are a lot that aren't worth the time. If you get into a very good MBA program, it is worth it.
Yes you can do more with an engineering degree than just engineering. But accounting is not one of those things, it is a specifc skill.

However, it is false to say that an engineer can do anything an accountant can. They are two separate fields and each requires different training, testing and certification. Engineering is broad, but not that broad. Accounting is a specifc skill that is not taught in a typical engineering program, it's not a general aptitude area.

Thermodynamics does not teach you how to keep a ledger.

Specific skill degrees (engineering, accounting, nursing) allow one to do that skill +any general aptitude area. They do not allow you to do other specific skills.

I did not see the OP express any desire to be an engineer, I heard the OP say they wanted a MBA. Of the specific skill degrees it would be wise to pursue, accounting is the most business related and arguably the broadest. Even engineering firms need accountants. Tax management firms don't need engineers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 PM

459 posts, read 2,229,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I'd say accounting.

Engineering is overrated unless you're going to be an engineer. The amount of time and energy required, plus the narrow focus isn't so great if you're not planning on being an engineer or in some related field that requires that knowledge.
I actually agree here. Engineering is a bit 'overrated'. The college cirriculum for engineers is intense - It is certainly a very, very challenging degree to obtain. Post college - most carrer paths in engineering will require continuing eduaction requirments, credential mainteneace, and huge legal liabilities related to their work. Here is where the 'overrated' part comes in - most probably figure engineers pull in HUGE salaries. Most engineers do not pull in huge salaries - the pay is honestly quite average. It has also been my experience that most engineering firms are quite 'conservative' in business philosophy - meaning frugal fringe benefits.

All in all - if I was 18 again. I would not go to school to be an engineer. I go work for an insurance company or something. Those guys pull in the dough.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM

484 posts, read 1,217,601 times
IMO, an MBA is the sort of degree you should only get once you are there, not something that you should go looking for. That is, if your career path takes you there, you will know it and pursue it at that time.

Not even five years ago, they were minting MBAs like candy. It has to be the most overhyped degree out there. Unless your career path demands it and/or you get into a Top 15 program, it is a complete waste of time, money, and energy.

That said, focus on what you want to do after undergrad. I like the idea of an engineering degree. In my realm, law, a person with in engineering background and a law degree = PAID. You must have a science background to practice patent law and not too many science types think of law school. Those who do are practically guaranteed jobs.

Accounting would be nice too. Not too many people can stomach the tedious details it requires but you are well compensated if you can.

Don't waste your money on a marketing degree. As someone else already stated: marketing is more about personality, networking, and looks than what you know. If you don't have the first three, think twice.

Nothing wrong with a liberal arts background. It leaves everything wide open. What you majored in has no bearing on admission to MBA programs, law school, or many other opportunities. Aside from a few specialty careers (accounting), employers don't really care what you majored in.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,087,185 times
With a business bachelors degree, you can get a fast-track MBA in one year. UF is a highly rated example that can be done mostly online: University of Florida MBA Programs (http://www.floridamba.ufl.edu/futurestudents/internetoneyear.asp - broken link)

A program like this will let you work while you get the MBA or let you finish faster, which gets you to earning a paycheck faster.

I recommend economics. Several schools offer the major through their College of Business, which means you take the business core classes and do not get much freedom to pick your electives. Economics is traditionally a social science degree. Among highest paid majors, economics comes in right behind different types of engineering degrees.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,596 times
Thanks for posting.
I am transferring after the spring semester, hopefully to UT if everything works out.
After reading the forums and talking to some consultants, i have a better understand of what i need to do.
I am currently looking into computer science as my primary major and a softer major like english or history. IMO, hard science or technical like math, engineering, biology, physics, computer science and economics would benefit me the most.
Since i don't plan on doing back-back anymore, i think computer science will help me gain the work experience i need to apply for a top MBA program, a lot more than accounting or liberal arts.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,944,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1no View Post
Thanks for posting.
I am transferring after the spring semester, hopefully to UT if everything works out.
After reading the forums and talking to some consultants, i have a better understand of what i need to do.
I am currently looking into computer science as my primary major and a softer major like english or history. IMO, hard science or technical like math, engineering, biology, physics, computer science and economics would benefit me the most.
Since i don't plan on doing back-back anymore, i think computer science will help me gain the work experience i need to apply for a top MBA program, a lot more than accounting or liberal arts.
If you want to go for a hard science cool, but don't think biology is a more useful degree than accounting is. Comp sci is a good choice, but just keep in mind that not all hard science degrees are better than all non hard science degrees. If you stick with Comp Sci that'll be fine, it's a good specific skill major.

Also in the bold it sounds like you are thinking about a double major. Don't. especially if the second major is a liberal arts degree. Get a minor instead, you'll still get the exposure without the ridicolous extra course load that a double major would entail.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
If you want to go for a hard science cool, but don't think biology is a more useful degree than accounting is. Comp sci is a good choice, but just keep in mind that not all hard science degrees are better than all non hard science degrees. If you stick with Comp Sci that'll be fine, it's a good specific skill major.

Also in the bold it sounds like you are thinking about a double major. Don't. especially if the second major is a liberal arts degree. Get a minor instead, you'll still get the exposure without the ridicolous extra course load that a double major would entail.
Thanks.
What would you suggest? concept-based economics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities