Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,600 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I plan on getting my MBA and would like some advice for my bachelor's degree. I've looked into liberal arts, engineering and accounting, but i am still undecided. I'm looking for something that would benefit me the most after i get my MBA, maybe in marketing. Any advice or opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 10,731,213 times
Engineering. It will give you more options than liberal arts, especially with an M.A. However, I would choose something that you will ultimately enjoy doing--there's no point in getting a degree in something that you don't like; in fact, as many find out, it turns out to be a waste of money.
Even though financial security is your current goal, it falls short once you get it. It has always been an adage that you will make the most money doing what you love--and if you love engineering, then you will be set!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 AM

843 posts, read 1,436,466 times
I second the engineering. You wouldn't believe the amount of employers looking for a engineer with a MBA. It is not the most common combination of degress, but it is in demand.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM

536 posts, read 1,873,785 times
I would worry about career first then MBA, unless you were planning on getting a business/marketing degree etc.

An MBA in engineering is only going to benefit you if you move into management or the business side of things. If that is your goal then that is fine. If I go back to school it would be for an MBA. I have a BSME now. But you would be much better off working as an engineer to gain experience, then using an MBA to advance your career.

Not saying you can't go the other route and get it back to back. Some of my fellow students did this, and there are jobs. But personally I believe your engineering background will lack. If you are in management, you would be a much better engineering manager if you had actually been one. Same with marketing. You will have a much better understanding of what goes into a product, and how it get's to market. You can speak to engineers. Not that we have our own language (well some do), but you will have a technical background and know the lingo.

Just my .02. As I said, you can go either route. But, 4 years of engineering classes to not be an engineer is something to think about. On the other hand, and this is just my opinion, an engineering degree is going to benefit you no matter what you do in life.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM

843 posts, read 1,436,466 times
sike0000 does have a good point. the jobs I was talking about were mainly the cost estimating jobs. They want you to have the background of engineering to know what you are trying to determine the cost for and the mba for the business side of things. Just do what interests you, but I'm always trying to get more people to be scientists/engineers.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,863,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1no View Post
Hello everyone. I plan on getting my MBA and would like some advice for my bachelor's degree. I've looked into liberal arts, engineering and accounting, but i am still undecided. I'm looking for something that would benefit me the most after i get my MBA, maybe in marketing. Any advice or opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.
If you are going for a master's degree, that's what will get you a job. Get your BA in something you are interested in, since in the end it is just a hoop to jump through so you can get a master's. It's much easier to sit through classes and work your brains out if you are actually interested in what is being taught.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:51 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,948,082 times
I'd say accounting.

Engineering is overrated unless you're going to be an engineer. The amount of time and energy required, plus the narrow focus isn't so great if you're not planning on being an engineer or in some related field that requires that knowledge.

Marketing....I've seen many get into that field without specific marketing degrees. It's about network, resume and personality more so than specific degree.

Accounting on the other hand provides you with specifc skills for a solid, in demand and nearly universal profession. Everyone, public or private, needs an accountant. It is a solid backup field for whatever you want to do in marketing/MBA and is a secure, business related field.

Frankly if I had any math skills, I'd go for an accounting degree. I think it's one of the best degrees out there....has a specifc skill/field while being applicable to all business and is as flexible if not more so than liberal arts degrees for other career fields.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,834,244 times
You need to figure out your undergrad before even thinking about an MBA. Personally, I wouldn't go for an MBA unless I got into a top 5 program.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,815,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Engineering is overrated unless you're going to be an engineer.

Engineers are hired for all kinds of fields. Employers know that someone who has an engineering degree has analytical skills and they got through a tough curriculum. There is nothing that an accountant can do that an engineer doesn't already know or can't be tought. I would recommend mechanical engineering (perhaps that is because I have my BS and MS in it). It is the broadest of engineering disciplines and if you aren't sure what you want to do, it gives you the most options.

The problem is that MBA programs are kind of a dime a dozen now and there are a lot that aren't worth the time. If you get into a very good MBA program, it is worth it.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,937,165 times
If you want to be an engineer, an MBA is a waste of time. The credentials that matter will be your degree and the certifications and licensure that you obtain after graduation. Even moving into senior management or ownership doesn't require an MBA. This is true for most 'professional' degrees--engineering, accounting, etc. Degrees that lead directly to a career.

There may be other undergrad degrees that are irrelevant after completing an MBA. But you won't become an engineer or an accountant with either those undergrad degrees or an MBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities