Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM

195 posts, read 293,917 times

Advertisements

I am talking to many friends and relatives who have decided not to go to college because the tuition fees are too high. Others have older brothers and sisters who have graduated and are now working at Sears for Minimum Wage on loading dock.

I wonder what impact this is going to have on our economy in the short and long term. So many talented people are going to not go to college and will likely be forced to spend the rest of their lives in lower waged low skilled jobs. They would have so much potential in a country with reasonable tuition and a more optimistic view of employment after graduation.

Do you know anyone who had planned to go to college but decided against it because of they could no longer afford it or felt that it would not really help them get a good job in the end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times
How many of them had parents who properly planned for steep costs of college (good colleges have been costly for decades)?

And how many of them (and their parents) thought through career strategies and college/specific major choices early in K-12?

Suspect most parents and kids spend more time with planning vacations or choosing/taking care of pets or following pop culture/sports than career planning...thus the unsurprisingly high (~30-40%) un/underemployment rates among '09 lib arts grads of places like Harvard, let alone less prestigious colleges

Outcomes of any education are heavily correlated with one's strategic investment/planning in choice of specific college/specific major...and GPA and recommendations from respected profs achieved by any ambitious kid

Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
I would hope so called talented people would have the smarts to start their own business. Why do they need a college degree to be successful in life?

Old 12-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,572 times
They don't need college to be successful. They need entrepreneurial skills and start their own business.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 PM

964 posts, read 3,161,282 times
There are still ways of going to college. You don't need a degree from places like Harvard or MIT just to get a decent job. 9/10, an employer's not going to give a damn whether you're a Harvard grad. or not. Many of them are going to want what you can give to them.

Anyhow, a lot of my friends went to community college first for two years, then went to a four year college. Saved a lot of money that way, and a lot of community college credits are transferable.

While it's true you don't necessary need a college degree to be successful, you still learn a lot when obtaining the degree. You get what you put in.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM

314 posts, read 936,183 times
I would be afraid that when we come out of this recession when employers do start hiring again they are going to be very picky. Not having a college degree will most likely exclude people.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM

917 posts, read 2,949,055 times
If they are truly smart and talented, they would find ways to pay for college without lots of debt. I have friends who worked their way through school by taking fewer classes at a time and working full time. Yes, it was very hard but they came out of it with work experience and a degree, thus making them very valuable. The only college grads I know with menial jobs are arts majors who still work hard in their fields trying to make it big and the ones who partied all through school and never developed a work ethic. The rest of us do just fine.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
most want a career/profession/high esteem job after and lots of prestige.
most just need a trade.
VE at jr college will do ya. RN my favorite pick.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
most want a career/profession/high esteem job after and lots of prestige.
most just need a trade.
VE at jr college will do ya. RN my favorite pick.
And you will be doing bedside nursing for the rest of your work life. Get a BSN.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
They don't need college to be successful. They need entrepreneurial skills and start their own business.
This is not the best time in the world to start a business. Most businesses fail within five years, even in a decent economy. Plus, you probably need to know accounting, management, etc when starting a business b/c you can't afford to hire it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities