Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,433,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
You should not have any problems. Many will understand that you were young when you went to school and your abiliites are far more important than just a GPA. Did you graduate from Mercy College, with the BS in legal studies. I think your job experience will weigh heavily into the decision, good luck!

Not that much. Law school admissions is 90% GPA / LSAT.

OP, you need to score in the mid-160's on the LSAT to have a shot with that GPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post

I'm sure she'll eventually pay it off if she doesn't burn out first. I mean, most lawyers do, don't they? My point earlier was that law school is expensive and I don't know how it could be funded without incurring debt, regardless of the economy.
There is a lawyer who hangs out at my local watering hole from time to time. He is in his 50s and is still paying off student loans from law school. He primarily represents credit card companies in small claims court, so I suspect that is the reason why he has yet to pay it off. I don't know too much about this field, but based on what I know, it seems that where one works and how much money one makes is largely dependent on what school the lawyer attended.

But yes, unless the student comes from a wealthy family, was able to secure large amounts of scholarships or other aid, or just got plain lucky, chances are high that a substantial amount of money would need to be borrowed in order to attend law or medical school.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM

479 posts, read 879,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabs_01 View Post
I'm applying to Law School, studying for the LSAT's will take them in June. By then i will have been out of school for a year graduated from John Jay College last May with a Legal Studies B.S. Currently a paralegal in a small but very successful and rapidly growing PI/Med Mal firm. References for school will include both senior partners, one of whom is an alumni of New York Law School, and a trial attorney former Bronx DA. What are my chances of getting into Brooklyn Law, New York Law School and/or St. John's?
Congrats on finishing up your degree. I'm a JJC alum and entertained the thought of law school a couple years ago but decided that the debt was overbearing. Your ability of getting into law schools will be determined by your LSAT score. Your GPA is low which is a strike against you but a high LSAT score can easily negate this.There are some pretty good predictor sites like lsac.org, lawschoolpredictor or hourmd where you just punch in your numbers and it will give you a good idea where you stand in terms of admissions chances. BTW,Did you attend the Pre Law Institute @ JJC?

ITA with putting some space between undergrad to law school. Maybe pick up a MA/MS/MPA to add as a soft factor.

If you do apply this fall,a word of caution.The NYC market is over-saturated with law school grads who cannot find a job especially from those schools you listed and its pretty much an unwritten rule that any school below Fordham Law in the NYC area (which all three of your schools currently place) is not a good investment unless you get a hefty scholarship.Brooklyn is the best out of the trio followed by St.John's and lastly NYLS.Those schools will likely put you in the hole to the tune of $200,000 with minimal job prospects especially ITE.All three schools have P/T programs so you should keep your FT job and attend PT to lessen your debt load.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM

416 posts, read 713,326 times
Seriously, I know I'm repeating myself, but the OP should be able to get into a higher ranked school that charges less tuition if s/he works hard on the LSAT and applies to state schools.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
All three schools have P/T programs so you should keep your FT job and attend PT to lessen your debt load.

That doesn't always compute. Schools might hand out some hefty scholarships to FT students that they don't give to PT, plus it's an extra year.

It would actually have cost me $41K more in tuition to go to a part time program.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 PM

Also of note, OP, is the 2.9 your degree GPA or your LSAC GPA?

The LSAC GPA is likely to be lower, and that's the important one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities