Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 08:55 AM

165 posts, read 605,166 times

Advertisements

Im not american, so i would love a locals perspective

Im intending to go here to do this, as part of some Irish exchange program. (Obv. there gonna send us to Boston)

I heard it is #13 for International Business in the US.

Does NEU have much of a rep (im not talking ivy league or anything) within the US? Boston? East Coast?

I heard Boston is the student city so the social scene should be quite good for a 21 y.o.??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
NorthEastern U is known for their Co-op programs. So it should help in finding a career, but i'm not sure of the rep in the area.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Northeastern has a pretty good reputation within New England, primarily because of its co-op program, but tends to loose its name recognition the further west and south you go.

The great thing about the co-op program is that undergrads will graduate with their degrees and 'real world' work-related experience in their chosen majors. The downside is that the co-op program adds another one to two years to the undergrad degree since you do a semester of school work followed by a semester of working full-time in your chosen field, then a semester of school work, etc. You would be required to do eight full semesters of course work and a minimum of three full semesters of full time work. There is four-year option that will limit the amount of time spent working.

Also, the popularity of their co-op program has attracted many, many students over the last few years and admissions is becoming pretty competitive.

However, I am not sure if all students are required to participate since the program's areas of study do not cover every major offered.

Yes, Boston can be described as a 'college' town. If by 'social scene' you mean parties, bars, and clubs, then yes, there is plenty of that. Boston is not cheap, though, and you can find this 'social scene' in any decent sized US city. Northeastern can be considered a party school, though.

Last edited by K-Luv; 04-25-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Northeastern can be considered a party school, though.
Didnt know that, you made my day

Ya i was hoping to get employment in NY after so it should be close enough to be known around the city

Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post

Ya i was hoping to get employment in NY after so it should be close enough to be known around the city
Ha honestly, as NYer it is not a "known school" but that won't hold you back. Boston is like 4 hours from here so it might as well be Kansas for most people.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:

Whats wrong with ireland schools ? America is busting at the seams with foreign students .

Mostly middle eastern, Pakastan , India , Kenyen and aisan , so you will face a lot of racisam and bogotry if your white european .

Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Whats wrong with ireland schools ? America is busting at the seams with foreign students .

Mostly middle eastern, Pakastan , India , Kenyen and aisan , so you will face a lot of racisam and bogotry if your white european .
I want to live in America. So i feel it would be best to attend school there.

Nothing is wrong with schools in Ireland. In fact, with my grades, i could get into a school which is much higher in global rankings than NEU (Trinity College Dublin) but I chose not to because NEU is more known in the US.

Really? Racism and bigotry? In a city like Boston to someone from Ireland?

Who would it be from? The white Americans (who are white Europeans btw) or the middle eastern and Africans you speak of?

This is the first time I have heard this, hope its not true

Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times
Quote:
I want to live in America. So i feel it would be best to attend school there.

Nothing is wrong with schools in Ireland. In fact, with my grades, i could get into a school which is much higher in global rankings than NEU (Trinity College Dublin) but I chose not to because NEU is more known in the US.

Really? Racism and bigotry? In a city like Boston to someone from Ireland?

Who would it be from? The white Americans (who are white Europeans btw) or the middle eastern and Africans you speak of?

This is the first time I have heard this, hope its not true

Hmm, I hope he's not talking about white Americans either, because I love European people! Mostly because of the sexy accents ya'll have.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Hmm, I hope he's not talking about white Americans either, because I love European people! Mostly because of the sexy accents ya'll have.
Yeah im fine tuning my Irish

Do you notice much racism towards English/Irish?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:32 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times
Quote:
Yeah im fine tuning my Irish

Do you notice much racism towards English/Irish?

Haha. Well, I haven't noticed any racism, bigotry or hatred towards the English, Irish or any Europeans. There's the occasional joke or two, but that's all in good fun, nothing serious. I would honestly be shocked if you encountered a lot of hateful Americans in Boston or anywhere else. You might come across one or two people who say something rude, but anything beyond that seems unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities