Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
You speak a language that is spoken in Pakistan. You also have a business degree with an emphasis in CIS. And you're asking if the military would take you? What a stupid question. I apologize to the moderator, this is just ridiculous. Trolling or idiocy?
I am not very familier in this industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Let me get this straight. You
* want to go into the military but
* want a job in which there's no chance you could be hurt and
* want to be able to quit without penalty at any time.
Does that sound about right?

I think you're confused, and as a former soldier, I'm vaguely insulted by your attitude toward service. Nobody wants to die, dude, but a willingness to put oneself in harm's way sort of comes with the uniform. If you can't handle that, then you should probably go to Karachi or Bangalore and give accent training in call centers or something.

I certainly wouldn't want you in my unit.
Well I am not really not worried about leaving. I think there is a 3 year contract? I am worried about getting hurt physically.

We already have enough soldiers if we did not then I would be drafted.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I have never been in the military, but I have heard some things along the way.

First of all, you can request what jobs you want. The military will try to respect your wishes, but they have final say on where you go and what you do depending on what they need. You could end up being a grunt (a highly educated grunt...but a grunt nonetheless) for all you know.

And no, you can't quit. I have no idea how that idea got into your head. When you sign up consider it a seven year contract. They have the right to tell you to go anywhere and do anything for seven years (even longer if they stop-loss you).

If you do talk to a recruiter and he makes promises, GET IT IN WRITING and have a lawyer look over it. Recruiters are notorious for conveniently leaving things out and talking things up in order to get you to sign on the dotted line. Make sure you have an out if they try to break their promises.
They can make me go into combat war when I signed up for a non-combat job?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Join the Air Force.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
They can make me go into combat war when I signed up for a non-combat job?
Again, I am not a military guy. I am just going off of what I have heard.

I have heard that you can put your three most desired MOS's (jobs) on a list. The various branches will try to direct you towards those jobs...but if they have a pressing need somewhere else then they will send you wherever they need you. UNLESS you get stuff in writing from them. If you get something in writing that gives you an out if they don't deliver on promises and you have a lawyer look over it then you should be safe. You should note that recruiters oftentimes lie or get damn close to lying.

But, no matter what, they will own your ass for the next seven years. I get the impression that just because of your degree and language background that you think you can walk into some safe cubicle job with no potential hiccups. The military isn't like that, bub. You could find yourself over in Afghanistan having mortars lobbed at you while you talk to some villager with an M-16 strapped to your back. They send you where they need you.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
I think there is a 3 year contract?
All military contracts are seven years. Don't let them fool you with the whole "you only have to do two years active duty" routine. Yeah, you will only be on active duty for two years....then you sign up for the Reserves, the Guard, or the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) for the remainder of your contract. They conveniently leave out that they have been stretched thin and thus have been calling up the IRR, Guard, and Reserves to do a lot of active duty work. If you sign up you could spend the next five years easy in Iraq or Afghanistan depending on the situation. Once you sign that contract they own your ass.

Quote:
I am worried about getting hurt physically.
Hahaha. You don't belong in the military, dude. Point blank.

Quote:
We already have enough soldiers if we did not then I would be drafted.
The draft has not been in existence since the 1960's. Selective service has never been utilized.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:12 PM

251 posts, read 767,808 times
Quote:
Join the Air Force.
it really doesn't make a difference because the air force is a part of the armed forces, you still have to deploy at some point, and you can't leave whenever.

texas, i suggest looking into something else besides the military. there were some good suggestions listed here and a job in the civilian sector would best suit your needs.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
All military contracts are seven years.
It's actually 8. I stand with you on your stance versus Texas User, though.

It's should be noted that the shaky economy, and winding down of Iraq has caused the Army to be a little picky about who they take in, esp. in regards to OCS and such.

Speaking as someone who has worked in Iraq with Arabic interpreters both civilian and military, I've seen this attitude before. eg. "I speak language X that the Army needs, so I shouldn't be expected to do much else due to that." Basic linguists in the military (usually an enlisted position) have what I consider a fairly chill job. A lot of them I worked with in 2008 had the task of translating US training material to Arabic to aid in training the Iraqi Army. But if you want to be an officer, that's a totally different deal, believe me.

Texas User, as a fellow Asian-American from Houston who has served (I see you on the Houston forum a lot), you're more than welcome to PM me. Judging from your posts on the Houston forum, I don't think I live too far from you.

(prior Army enlisted 02-07, Honorable)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 05-29-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Given the current social and political circumstances, joining the military is not a patriotic act.
Nor is it a viable career option.
It is an act of desperation.
Find something else to do with your life.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Join the Air Force.
Chances of survival?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities