Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM

18 posts, read 24,868 times

Advertisements

My story..

Im 27 years old right now and I just quit my college degree.. since I live in Europe, the taxpayer pays for it.

I attended HS from age 16-18, never really enjoyed it, rarely did any homework. So I could not say what I enjoyed the most. Looking back, I should have gone to traid schoo,l learned machining or plumbing. I love working with my body. After HS I went into the Navy for one year as is requierd of all male persons ( also females now ). After that year I did not know what I wanted to do, so I worked for one year in my Uncles business.

Then I got a part time job in the oil business in the summer, and went to College just because I felt I hade missed two years allready. Some off my friends had been in College for 1-2 years by this time. Well, I did not enjoy what I was studying, so I quit after 1 1/2 years. Then I spent 1 year working for the part-time jobb I had in the Oil Business. When this job became full time, I had in the back of my mind that I cant work in this field forever, so I decided to get part time education. This went on for 3 years, where I am today. I had a rotation of 2 weeks work, 3 weeks of. What this meant to me was that I hade a difficult time getting enough time to study and get the grades I wanted. Alot of times I was only getting 2 weeks of worth of lecture. This hurt my GPA and I was hovering around D or failing. This was/is really frustrating and demotivational.. so I decided today to quit.

Because of the stress of working and studying, I went from 100% student, to 70% student and then finaly 50%..wich meant I would have to do a 3 year BA in 5 years. I am just feeling burnt out..

6 months ago, I got job at a bigger company, wich included 2 weeks of work, 4 weeks off. I pays great, and Im averaging $95k a year including overtime and bonuses, and in a two year time I will reach full pay of $105k. But with it came courses and meetings the past 6 months, resulting in me only beeing able to attend 6 lectures this semester. I just felt to overwhelmed. ( the meetings/courses are finished now and I will go back to a regular 2/4 rotation after the summer).

So, here I am, having spent 6 years on and off school, without a degree.

And what are my plans.. well. Most of the subjects I was having trouble with included math. So now I want to, first go back to my relatives, then do the second and third year math and physics from HS over again. If I manage this, and get above average grads, I might try to get into a engineering BA. I do see this as a FAIL all over again, route, but I have always been afraid of math, and never really done my homework regarding it. So its almost like a face your fear thing? Ive always wanted to be a Engineer, but I always belived the math would be to much for me.

Does this just sound like a broken record to you guys? Never getting a degree, and beeing a eternal student. Should I just give it up, enjoy my time of doing whatever I want... 7 months of freetime each year. Not that I have that many hobbies.

Thanks for any reply...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 AM

48 posts, read 196,130 times
Hhhmmm, I'm not sure what to say (maybe other posters will have better advice) but making 105K with 7 months off/yr sounds pretty amazing. I'd LEARN to love that job. I mean, people would kill for a position like that. Lol.

Concerning engineering--I fyou're scared of math, have never liked math, and have always done bad in your math classes, engineering would be the last field I'd pursue. Have you ever built anything? Somethimes we can have interests in a certain field but our personality or 'skills' arent a match,. If that's the case, we should just keep it an interest.

I think you should choose a path you're naturally good at. It seems to me like choosing engineering would result in a stressful life for you, because you're noy good at math. And, it's ok that you're not good at math; a lot of people aren't good at math.

Also, I'm sure education in England differs from that in the U.S. but why would you consider retaking HIGH SCHOOL math and physics? Why don't you just retake college math and physics? If the math you took in college was too hard, try 'remedial' college math. A lot of schools have college math classes that pretty much teach you what you should have learned in high school. The class may not count towards your degree, but it's better than retaking a high school class...in high school? I may have misunderstood you...

You say you don't have hobbies. Really? You can't think of ANYTHING you'd enjoy doing? Sure you can. Everyone has a talent. What are you good at?

Also, google "employment outlook handbook". It's a U.S. webpage that basically describe every job on this Earth: Job description, Needed education, Job requirements, Salary, etc. You can read all of those and see what sparks your interests. I did...b/c I was like you a year ago. I had no idea what I wanted to do w/ my life.

Well, it looks like I DID have something to say with this response. Lol.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,377 times
Yeah I'm having a tough time with this one. I don't know what type of job security such a position would have, but I would more or less say "who cares" when it comes to college and to ummm....just keep doing your supposed $105k a year job, as most people wouldn't even see that much annual cash flow no matter what degree they hold. Seriously, something is really..really..really odd here, haha. If this is really the case, thank the stars that you have what you have as it sounds like one hell of a great opportunity if not just for the wealth.

As for the hobbies, that's ridiculous. Learn how to play an instrument, start going to concerts and pick up on music scenes, learn how to play a few sports and get into the outdoors. Man, there's tons of stuff to do in your free time.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
If there ever some a point in time where that job is no longer available to you, consider becoming a student again. You can become a student at any time, never too late to go back. Just be financially savvy with your earned monies and you'll be ok!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Just some updates:

Artistic: The HS math and physics would be done privatly. I just show up at the exam. All the studying would be done from home. And is requierd to get into Engineering.

telecast: the hobbies stuff.. offcourse there are some things I would like to do, but in the last 5-6 years Ive been studying or working. Or both, so Im not used to doing "stuff", or having free time. Well I have not played my PS3 in one year, but I guess I have time now

skeet: thats one of the thoughts Im having. With oil production falling, I see a real possibility that I might be out of a job in 10 years. My current workplace is supposed to be in production until 2031, but maybe not with me onboard.

Also my new company would pay me to go to school. I have only skimmed through what it entails, but they pay you up to $10,000 a year as a 100% student. That would cover my living expenses and most food items. Or I could do a BA in 4 years at 75% and get $7500. Either way, its just food for thought.

Im not saying Im going to go back, but if I do and I didnt make it again.. that would really suck!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
dmarko: Sounds like you do much better as a full time student and not having to work at the same time. Nothing wrong with that; I was a better student that way too, I did work full time and work part time and it took a toll on me (tired all the time) for about 2 years but I really just wanted to be done with it and not worry about it anymore. Good luck in your journey!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 AM

Well talked to my company.. they wont pay more then books, admission etc etc.. They will only pay for courses connected with my job. Not school courses.

So, scratch that idea of beeing paid that much for school.

Skeet:
Yes, I was thinking that as well.. but even if I only work 50%, I would still be loosing 50K a year. And what if Im really bad at school.. not just from lack of time, but generally stupid

I wont go back to College for a year anyways. It will give me time to think atleast.

Anybody else have advice.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Hold on to that job! They are scarce these days, especially 6 fig ones. If they are willing to pay for school and pay that well, they'll hold on to you, even with falling oil production (oil workers are hard to find because not many are willing to put up with the weird schedule). I'd say have them pay for your degree if you really want it. My friend's company paid for him to go to school + salary. I'd kill for that kind of job.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,737 times
yo...i hate to sound like a douche. but find yourself first. Find your passion and follow it. For me I was a lost kid too once, but I was given 2 chances from fate and I found a passion that pays pretty decent so I am following it with the uttermost determination. It sucks since I can't party up like i used to but in the end that will get you nowhere in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities