Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,988 times

Advertisements

Ive Relocated once in my life from Virginia Beach, Va to Laurel, Maryland. I am currently working in DC and its driving me nuts. Working in a hectic city atmosphere where it takes an hour to get anywhere is wearing me down quickly. My Job alone can be very challenging and I am okay with that. Doing my job in DC? Umm..where has all of my hair gone?? My partner lives in Lakewood, CO and I dont like being that far away from her, so I am seriously considering moving that way. My issue is that the job market is not that easy there. I have expierence in Law Enforcement (corrections) and mental health case management (non licensed). I am just not sure how to get my foot in the door there. Ive visited Jefferson County twice so I have a feel of the area and I like it very much. To me its similar to Va Beach..without a beach Any suggestions?

Shel70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:25 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'm from the other side of DC, 30+ years in Fairfax County, VA, and I know what you're dealing with.

Best advice I have for you is to hit all the county/city websites to look for jobs, have a resume ready and use your partner's address and phone to make yourself look local to hiring officers out here (all's fair in love and war and job hunting).

Are you really interested in COLO SPGS, it's quite a way from Lakewood. FYI: there are tons of prisons down in the area of Canon City and Florence, including a Federal Supermax.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Mike! Thanks for the advice. I never thought to use my partner's address and number. I will take a look at the places you suggested. Colorado Springs is far..Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
For possible Federal jobs in corrections (i.e., the Florence facility) go to the USAjobs.gove website. That's the central clearing house for all Federal job openings. Try various types of searches (e.g., location, occupation, key word, etc.). The application for Federal jobs is becoming less onerous that it was been historically. You'll still have to go through a lengthy application and wait for a reply, and if selected, a background investigation for many positions. So, be patient and start your application process before moving (note: for a first job, the Govt will not typically pay for your relocation).

Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
Hey neighbor- I am in Williamsburg, VA and from Colorado myself. I have a gf from HS who lives in Howard County that I now visit now that I am out here. I HATE and LOATHE the traffic when going up there. There are positions in your field, so keep it up. My DH is civilian but works at Langley- but has worked at the United States Air Force Academy, Shriver Air Force Base and Pueblo Chemical Depot so he knows how to get in and manuever the website for jobs. Just about everyone who has wanted to get into the Dod system he has managed to get them in. He understands how randolph afb personel.
Are you looking at wanting to get into BuckleyAFB? or get into a prison system? or municipality police?

How else can I help?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM

Froggin - We're neighbors as well. Currently living in Fredericksburg, VA, just up the road from you. Finished my Fed career and planning on relocating to COS (as soon as I can sell my house, no small feat around here). I was stationed in CO back in the dark ages and it's always been on my short list for retirement. On our last scouting trip (we've made three), my wife finally committed to COS. Everything Shel70, Pheteroi and Mike say is so true about this area (i.e., humidity, traffic, bugs, etc.). Can't wait to get out of here.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Froggin and Carrera
Thanks! I worked at a regional jail in Portsmouth Virginia as an officer. I have no clue as to how to get into and of the upper level prisons. My only concern with some of the federal jobs is the age limit. I am 40 years old. Will that be an Issue? Just tell me what to do to work my way into any law enforcement, corrections, Probation and Parole (case management). Froggin, Im not military so would that be an issue with DOD?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Yeah Va Beach isnt so bad as far as hectic lifestyle and traffic. I lived there there since I was 2 years old. Maryland and DC? Geezz!!! I cant quite wrap my head around this place! ha!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Shel70 - If you're interested in a Federal law enforcement officer (FLEO) position, age will be a factor. The entry on duty age limit is 37 unless you have previous FLEO experience. I'm not sure that corrections officers fall into that category, but I suspect they do. Even if they do, there are lots of Federal positions in the law enforcement environment that don't have that age requirement, some of which you noted in your last post. Having military experience will always help you get a Federal job, as you get what's known as Veteran's Preference. It's not a requirement to get a Fed position (DoD or otherwise), but it helps, especially with so many returning vets looking for jobs right now. As I noted in yesterday's post, the way you find out what jobs are available is to search the USAjobs.gov website. That's the clearing house for Federal jobs nationwide and is usually the place you start the application process (most applications are now done on-line).

Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Carrera,
Yes im visiting that website at this moment Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs