Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 81,254 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to Colorado Springs from Arizona in the next few months thanks to my husband's job. Everything I read about Colorado Springs makes it sound fabulous and I'm excited for the move!

We will pretty much be moving there blindly though and I need some help on areas to live in. My husband will be working off of Fountain BlVD close to the AFB and Colorado Springs Airport. We want a SAFE and family friendly area to live in. We will be renting for the first year in order to decide where we want to settle after that. I want a neighborhood that we can go on walks/bike rides in, possibly with a community clubhouse/pool (although not critical), within driving distance of places like Target and/or movie theater. We're a couple years away from school age - so the school district isn't too important yet. We'd like to keep the commute for my husband around 30 minutes or less if possible.

Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
30 minutes pretty much limits all of Colorado Springs. The area you speak of where you will work is in Harrison School District 2- not as desireable as other school districts. Community clubhouses/pools aren't huge in COS because we don't get that hot. Although there are some. I used to live in Kearny, AZ so I understand your heat and concerns. COS is very different though. When you visit Pueblo, CO, it will remind you of AZ. However, I would suggest Security and Fountain or you might consider Stratton neighborhoods, back behind the Tinseltown/Target/World Arena. Your job puts you on the southern end of town and some parts of town are less desireable- but there are some good family neighborhoods. Security and Fountain (both towns) are burbs of COS and not considered part of southern COS.
But really, 30 mins gives you so many options. COS isnt that large. And you will love COS! I miss it terribly. I have been gone for almost a year

Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 81,254 times
So Security and Fountain are both good areas?

My husband was working 45-60 minutes away so we're hoping to cut down on commute time - although the most important thing is to be an area that we like and enjoy and that is safe and family friendly!

Thanks for the tips - I guess it's true that I don't need to worry about swimming pools and such in a state other than Arizona!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Yes, Security/Widefield/Fountain is a very friendly small-town-feel working class community.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Flying Horse and Meridian Ranch neighborhoods have a clubhouse and pool. I'm not sure if they will be as close to the major shopping areas that you want though.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
In addition to the fine suggestions above, you might enjoy the Lower Skyway area north of Cheyenne Blvd west of 8th Street. Few apartments but most homes are 1950's era smaller ranches and renting for a year to get the lay of the land should be doable. There's a private pool in the area called the "Little Dipper" which is reasonably priced and truly a little slice of heaven for small children and their parents. 20 minutes (or so) to the airport and 10 minutes (or so) to Target, movies, etc.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM

15 posts, read 112,221 times
Are you kidding me? You would tell someone to move to Fountain, Security, Widefield?? I wouldn't live there if someone paid me. Its horrible, ugly and smells like the sewer.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 112,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelles333 View Post
So Security and Fountain are both good areas?

My husband was working 45-60 minutes away so we're hoping to cut down on commute time - although the most important thing is to be an area that we like and enjoy and that is safe and family friendly!

Thanks for the tips - I guess it's true that I don't need to worry about swimming pools and such in a state other than Arizona!
NO!! Do not move to those areas! I would never live there. And actually it's funny because we are planning a move to Arizona soon. Colorado Springs has only a few public pools, no neighborhood pools, and a couple health club outdoor pools. This is one of the things I don't like here. I'd like to go swimming on a nice summer day but find it almost impossible unless you live in an apartment. There are only two good school districts here 20 and 12. If you're not concerned about that yet then the area for the best amenities and decent areas is Stetson Hills. Which is also near your husbands job. I live in Briargate and there are very few areas I would go to. There are some pretty bad ones especially in the South part of town. Thats where the crime is. North is best here unless you are rich and can afford the Broadmoor.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 AM

47 posts, read 145,688 times
Woodmen Hills (Falcon) is just south of meridian ranch, we have a rec center with 2 pools. They are indoor and heated. They also have "child watch" which is a very reasonable price, a cardio room, and a full selection of aerobics classes. They also have a Parents Night Out once a month where you can bring your children for a fun night from 5-9 pm. We love living here.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
I think that there is one pretty "bad" area of town (southeast), but I think many people in Colorado Springs would recognize that compared to other "bad" areas in the US, our "bad" area of town is pretty mild. I've felt for years that because of the development in the North-east area of town, with the new houses, some people feel that if it's not a new neighborhood, then it's a crummy area to live. I'm not saying anyone here is saying that; it's what I have seen/heard with some of my coworkers and also attitudes prevalent on the news channels (thinking user comments mostly, which I know is not indicative of the overall sentiment of the city).

All that said, there are some fantastic areas in the east side, the south-west side, and the north-east side to consider. I really love the area of 115 and Academy Blvd, on the west side of 115. I currently live in Central C/S and there are not a lot of kids running around for my children to play with. Often I wished I lived where I work (east side of town) just so I could have my kids playing with neighbors.

I personally don't know anything about Security/Fountain, except for that my husband refuses to move there, for reasons stated above. No personal feelings though to share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs