Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM

258 posts, read 540,966 times

Advertisements

Attraction is a personal preference not neccesarily a racial thing. Personally I'm attracted to some hispanic women, but overall I'm not attracted to most hispanic women.

In my case if I lived in San Antonio that would shrink the dating pool for me. When you go to night clubs and bars, you will find mostly hispanic people there. It just depends what you like. I lived in S.A. for a few months and I would go with people after work to different social settings and many of the white and black people were not thrilled about the dating scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
CoS is the least buggy place I've ever been! And living in NM, I've discovered Spanish, Latino, Hispanic folk are hot!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
I wouldn't move to San Antonio. I have hispanic friends, but the majority of SAN ANTONIO'S hispanic population are just thugs. Please note I said San Antonio's hispanic population... not all hispanics are like this... but in San Antonio there is a growing trend of violent crime among hispanics here. They do not typically follow the same, wholesome, traditional hispanic values. The values of hispanics in San Antonio are perverted and non-existent at best. These people are thugs and you wouldn't know until you lived among the worst of them. I speak from experience and also hispanic origin.

Also San Antonio is BORRIINNNGGG and people don't know how to drive. Traffic is TERRIBLE I've lived in nice apartments in san antonio and get stuff stolen all the time. Also hit and runs are common.

I have also lived in Colorado Springs. None of these problems. Very nice place to live, relatively low crime rate. Never had hit and runs. Plenty of stuff to do. It was also a beautiful city.

I've been to alot of cities and San Antonio is by far one of the UGLIEST. It's downtown area is GHETTTOOO. A few business strips but even that is intermingled with shady bars and clubs. ( You don't know shady until you've been in some of these bars in San Antonio.)

Activities outside of excessive eating and drinking are not existent in San Antonio. In a lot of parts, this place is kind of disgusting.

Say what you will about me, but if you are a decent person, you will hate San Antonio.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
I'd like to say my parents are decent people and they are pleased with San Antonio! But perhaps it is because they primarily live/stay in the north east part of town and they don't go downtown?

I think any super large city will have problems. But I think if you can sift through some of the bad experiences that some people have had with cities, and figuring out the most objective advice, that would be best.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM

47 posts, read 145,702 times
I did not enjoy the time we spent in SA (we are military) The city is extremely large, spread out, and didn't really feel like it had a "soul" We are much happier in COS. It's a decent sized city without those huge sprawling city type issues. I feel very safe. In SA, not so much.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM

70 posts, read 227,533 times
I'm originally from Texas and would never go back. I spent 24 years in the Air Force and of al the places I've traveled to, 14 countries, I decided to stay here in Colorado Springs! Great place to raise a family.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
boarding_chick-
I know both areas very well.
So I can help you out

You Said:
Quote:
Safety is an issue for me, since I am moving alone and won't know anyone in the area.
Both cities are good for that. No worries there. Cost of living in SA will be cheaper

You said:
Quote:
I love doing outdoor single person sports such as snowboarding, wakeboarding, and biking.
All of these will be more in Colorado. If living in TX, you will have to fly or drive to go do snowboarding. New Mexico (TAOS) is closer and has some rad hills to rip off!!

Wakeboarding is very, very popular here in Texas and mostly in Austin, which is only about 45min to 1hr away. Since there's LCRA here and the Highland Lakes (google it) the action is highly here. Biking is popular here in Texas and the best trails is really all around Austin and couple in the San Antonio area. Of course no-where near EPIC as the trails on the Front-Range of Colorado (Colorado Springs / Denver). The lakes in CO are lacking for wakeboarding. You will probably have to go to Pueblo Reservoir to get some of that action!

You said:
Quote:
I also want to be close to shopping malls or outlets. I would also love to be close to some type of weekend night life and entertainment.
Colo Spgs IMHO lacks shopping and young life entertainment. The closest outlet mall out there is in Castle Rock,CO and it is a nice mall, but very small to the one in San Marcos, which is about 20-30 min drive from San Antonio and it about 3x - 4x bigger .

One thing you have to ask yourself is climate, this is the only thing I hate living in the South. It does get hot and humid in the summer. Unlike CO, it is very dry there, so make sure you have lotion. Also do you like being close to beaches? A flight to Cozumel or Cancun Mexico is much cheaper from SA then CO .

If it was me, I love Colorado as a whole, but I left since I was bored there in my young'in days .
Live life since you are young, I say hit up San Antonio 1st and then couple of years when you are ready to slow-it-down, transfer with that job of yours to Colo Spgs.

PS... don't let the comments about hispanic's being bad or there are just too many of them, such a lame thing to say. There are honestly plenty of diversity in all majority races here in Central Texas and of San Antonio. Colo Spgs has their share of them too! I am not of a hispanic origin, but my wife is and that was where we meet (in Colo Spgs)!! So with that being said, there are a lot of hispanics in CO too!! Don't let that kind of comment deterrent you from making a wise descision to where to go!!

If you can deal with heat in the summer, SA is a great place for young adults!!

Last edited by Mike78613; 11-16-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 PM

177 posts, read 358,050 times
Boarding Chick,
PLEASE pick C. Springs... we have lived there 3 times (hubby went to USAFA and 2 more assignments) and miss it so very much! We currently live in San Antonio and absolutely hate it! We are stuck in an underwater mortgage or we would move in a second. The city is dirty... litter, graffiti, loose dogs all over. People are very set in their ways and don't understand the city could be so much more. My spouse retired from the military here; that's why we bought a home... thinking we would stay. Will probably have to turn it into a rental. I don't speak Spanish, which is all you hear in the stores. There is no comparison; trust me! I don't want anyone else stuck down here like we are. We are even talking about moving me and our pets back to CO and my husband commuting so he can keep his job here. That's how much I hate it.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 AM

35 posts, read 64,462 times
Mike 78613,
You post was extremely helpful -- Thanks!
Although I love to snowboard, wakeboarding is my passion... Plus, I think a couple years with little to no winter weather would be nice for a change. I will still have plenty of friends/family in OH, so if I ever need a snow fix I could take a trip back home.

Also, It has always been a dream of mine to live by the beach. Although I won't be right on the beach, in San Antonio I will be close enough to take a nice day or weekend trip down to Corpus Christi. (Although I doubt they get the waves I want for surfing... oh well)

I had already made up my mind when I read you post Mike 78613, and I was getting nervous with some of the posts I was receiving, but you just reassured my thought that the choice I made was right for me -- at least for a couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs