Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,552 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Colorado Springs and we are having a hard time trying to figure out where to live. We have kids that will be going to elementary schools and we are trying to figure out where is a good district for them to go. We have heard that district 20 is good but also the housing is higher prices. We have also heard that district 49 is having major budget problems but the housing market is better. Any information regarding schools would help. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'm a big fan of D20, but there are other equally fine districts here, like D8, D11, D12, D38, and D49. All have budget issues, though the issues in D49 actually got some press, specifically the elimination of bus service in an area that is large and spread out.

There are affordable neighborhoods with schools that are walkable in just about all districts, so in that respect you are lucky to have a wealth of choices.

Please tell us where your job will be located, as there are quite a few areas here where one could even walk to work from affordable homes. It's a big military town, so if you're military do let us know.

Is there anything in specific you seek in a school? IIRC we have schools here that teach foreign languages to grade schoolers, etc.

If you want to search housing on your own, either rentals or purchases, try the local ppar.com website, or realtor.com or padmapper.com
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM

We are not looking for anything specific for schooling. Just a good school for our kids. My husband is going to work in Fort Carson but he is willing to commute to his job. Thank you for the information.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:35 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Tons of Carson families love D8, in the Fountain area. Short commute, fine schools and affordable.

We have a D8 teacher on here (Froggin....) who I hope will comment and give you advice, or just use our search tool and find threads or posts containing the term D8. Search housing sites on zip code 80817.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 AM

We are looking more in the north area. Any information on district 49 and 20 is appreciated.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 AM

65 posts, read 268,630 times
We live out near Falcon, about 15-20 minutes east of the springs...called Meridian Ranch. I love it out here because it has a rural feel to it, but still beautiful neighborhoods with a lot of young kids. We have a son.
D49 does get a lot of press, but we really like the school out here.
D20 has plenty of issues as well, and they are probably going to start charging fees for busing. D49 took a lot of flack because they announced the termination of busing....but really they are going to outsource it and are looking at companies to do that.
I would really look at the schools themselves and not too much the politics of the district boards. They all have their ups and downs, and they are all hurting financially.

One bad thing I hear a lot about D20, is that kids are loaded pretty heavy with homework. They are very test driven (CSAP) and that drives a lot of the teaching. However that is the case with many districts.
But we are very happy with D49, even though it takes a beating in the papers sometimes. Lots of anger lately that people might actually have to take their own kids to school....if you're coming from a state that doesn't bus (like we did) its kind of a non-issue.

We also have a few families near us that commute down to Carson....about 40 minutes though. But mostly Air Force out this way.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,792 times
Default Gleneagle, Flying Horse & Cordera area

Hello Mike from back east,

your post are very informative. I have learned much from reading your posts. Quick question; is there a surplus of home-for-sales in the Gleneagle, FH & Cordera?

is FH still over inflated in the home prices?

Just wanted to know your take on a good area to purchase if I have 5-10% down payment for a home.

my story - you family with 1 yr child, plan to live in this home for at least 4 yrs. Active Duty in service, so life changes every 4 yrs.

Not really sure where to concentrate on looking for a decent home, they all looked good via internet.

I like the Cordera area, but don't like the fees involved, love FH but hate the property taxes...but may be worth to buy, hoping I may keep longterm.

Gleneagle looks good too, but don't know too much about it.

& not ruling out Monument, but google maps display a little far to USAFA.

can you shed some insight?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Machrx-

I actually work in Monument, and USAFA is not more than 10-15 minutes away ...depending on where in Monument you are and what part of the academy you're going to. It's really close. 10 minutes from Jackson Creek area, maybe 20 at most (?) if up in Woodmoor or further from the freeway.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
^^ And it's a nice commute by bike if you are relatively west.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM

Yep...the Santa Fe Trail is a nice ride!
Monument is a cool little town, even though you have to go to the springs or Denver for more culture/sports/nightlife. but nice place for families with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs