Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:58 PM

251 posts, read 573,288 times

Advertisements

So, we finally decided that we are going to be moving back to Woodland Park in June,after being gone for 10 years.
Everything on this end is working out great-our lease is up in June, daughter's out of school, my part time temporary job ends, and my husband just got laid off.

But, on the Colorado end of things, we're hitting roadblocks.

Many of the jobs we're applying for require a CO driver license.
Well, one of the requirements for getting one, is living there for 90 days.

So, how can we get jobs, without a CO license?
How can we get housing with jobs?

When we moved to Seattle, we got driver licenses within a week of being there. Got jobs and housing immediately.

How do people do this anymore? How are you supposed to move somewhere and get a job and apartment without being there 90 days? Trust fund?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:03 PM

51,132 posts, read 24,617,542 times
I don't understand. How can a job -- other than one that requires a drivers license -- require a drivers license?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't understand. How can a job -- other than one that requires a drivers license -- require a drivers license?
I don't know,they just do. Many of the jobs he's looked at online, like security guard, state under their list of requirements "Colorado driver license".

Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,210 times
Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that one needs to get a DL within 90 days after moving there.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,307,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyouah View Post
Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that one needs to get a DL within 90 days after moving there.
That is correct. I got mine less than three weeks after arrival.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Directly from CO DMV website:

Colorado Requirements for Residency
  • Own or operate a business in Colorado.
  • Are gainfully employed in Colorado
  • Reside in Colorado for 90 consecutive days.

]After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 30 days to qualify for a Colorado driver license

What am i misunderstanding?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 8,210 times
I must have been looking at the wrong page when I looked into it. I can see how that would pose a problem.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,351,351 times
This question has been answered over and over again on this forum. Regardless what is posted on the website-- unlike some states there is NO proof of residency required when you apply for a CO drivers license. You can get one immediately as soon as you get here. I got a CO drivers license and new CO license plates almost immediately after I moved back here from NV a year ago. They'll hole punch your old ID and give you a temporary paper ID, and about a week later you get your new CO plastic ID in the mail. For the license plates, you have to do an emissions test (at least in Denver, not sure if Colo Spgs requires that), a VIN inspection, obtain CO car insurance, fill out the application, write the check, and you walk out with new plates, the same day. The process has not changed since a year ago.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
This question has been answered over and over again on this forum. Regardless what is posted on the website-- unlike some states there is NO proof of residency required when you apply for a CO drivers license. You can get one immediately as soon as you get here. I got a CO drivers license and new CO license plates almost immediately after I moved back here from NV a year ago. They'll hole punch your old ID and give you a temporary paper ID, and about a week later you get your new CO plastic ID in the mail. For the license plates, you have to do an emissions test (at least in Denver, not sure if Colo Spgs requires that), a VIN inspection, obtain CO car insurance, fill out the application, write the check, and you walk out with new plates, the same day. The process has not changed since a year ago.
that's good to know! thanks
yet i wonder why the process is hypocritical of what the website states.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,926,511 times
My MIL just got her CO license last week (former MI resident). She was required to show proof of residence. She showed a check that had her CO address on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs