Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You cannot defend these parades by saying there are others that, may or may not, have other problems. I never said I do not like and accept gay pride parades--I just do not like some of the behavior. Some believe that acting disgustingly, in public, is accetable--it is not. Remember I am saying in public; as what is done in private is not always acceptable everywhere in public.

I do accept people being attacked for their views of gods and/or their social sexual orientations; but I will continue to voice my opinions against gays who do harm by defending and engaging in such egregious behavior. You do not represent all of the gay community; you may think you do; you may want to, but you do not.

Livecontent
I am not defending them as I was at the Colorado Springs pride fest and was in the parade and loved it. If you, or anyone, has objections to all or any part of the pride fest that is ok. It is just a separate issue from Colorado Springs working on its image as a intolerant city. To be honest I think a lot of that has to do with Focus on the Family and everything they have done to marginalize the gay community.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 AM

641 posts, read 2,277,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Deserved or not, CS seems to have a persisting image or reputation as an intolerant city. It was a concern of ours before moving here last year from VA (yes, the city's reputation was well known that far away). Feedback from friends who live here and from this forum, helped to dispel that notion, and we made the decision to relocate here. Thus far, our original concern was unfounded. We have found CS to be a very live and let live community and have felt welcomed here. However, that doesn't change the fact that the reputation persists. I think that's why the recent incidents that suggest intolerance may have been blown out of proportion. If the city had a better reputation for being a tolerant community, these incidents would probably have been either considered as non-news or otherwise isolated incidents relegated to the back pages of both the local newspapers. I don't know what it will take to change that reputation, but my guess is it will take some proactive measures to do so. For instance, would it have killed the new mayor to have ridden in the recent PrideFest parade? He wouldn't have had to say a word, issue a proclamation, or even reveal his personal feelings regarding gay issues. My guess is that because of CS's reputation, that small gesture would have garnered a fair amount of positive publicity and would have been a step in helping to reverse the image. Instead, he missed an opportunity and the issue has dogged him and the city's reputation as well.
Couldn't agree more. I think it wouldn't hurt the new mayor to at least issue a statement to show at least where he stands on it; positive or negative.

But as you stated, it's more about trying dispel the overly negative reputation more than anything. Individual opinions vary as widely here as they do anywhere else.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM

598 posts, read 1,547,691 times
Defacing any public road sign is wrong and against the law, regardless of what's on it. Simple as that! Hold the people responsible who did it and not the entire community.

Suggest a hidden camera be placed there and record the idiots in the act. (very inexpensive)

Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,410,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not defending them as I was at the Colorado Springs pride fest and was in the parade and loved it. If you, or anyone, has objections to all or any part of the pride fest that is ok. It is just a separate issue from Colorado Springs working on its image as a intolerant city. To be honest I think a lot of that has to do with Focus on the Family and everything they have done to marginalize the gay community.
Yes, I do agree that some arrogant and ignorant god delusional believers do attempt to "marginalize" the gay community with actions that go beyond basic rights of voicing their beliefs. They are not going to disappear and they do have their rights to express and practice their ideas within their groups--it is when they go beyond with extreme actions, that I oppose.

For what it is worth, I do enjoy and celebrate many aspects of gay pride parades and events, for I am a supporter of gay rights--many years before it became safe, fashionable and politically correct.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-05-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
So far we haven't drawn the sort of patently hateful postings that often accompany the topic of GLBT issues. I hope it stays that way. For the lurkers who are waiting for a chance to unload a bucket of hate on the GLBT community, here's a word of advice: Don't, or I'll issue infractions.

So far we've correctly stuck to the topic of the reputation of COLO SPGS as being intolerant. That's the issue we need to focus on, regardless of anyone's opinion on underlying GLBT issues. Any posts on generic GLBT issues need to be posted in one of the general forums.

I think the current mayor could have issued the usual meaningless, costless, "have a nice day" proclamation, but for whatever reason he chose not to, which gained us another round of unflattering publicity in some quarters.

I believe we have an unflattering national reputation, for various reasons, which are largely in the past now that certain players have exited the national stage they once occupied. Enough said on that. Let's discuss the city's reputation and what could/should be done about it, if anything, going forward.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times
Talking Manitou council supports PrideFest, hopes other towns will follow suit

I decided to switch it up and talk about some positive news coming out of the Pikes Peak region as Manitou Springs passed a resolution supporting gay pride. It's nice to see one city in the Colorado Springs MSA take a positive lead on this issue and perhaps this will do a lot to help the image of the Colorado Springs MSA, especially if Colorado Springs can follow its lead in the future.

This is from the Gazette:

Manitou Springs Mayor Marc Snyder considers his town a leader in El Paso County. And he hopes that in time Colorado Springs will take a step its neighbor to the west took on Tuesday night. That’s when the City Council unanimously voted in support of a resolution honoring the gay community for its “positive contributions to the Manitou Springs community and the region.”

Read more: Manitou council supports PrideFest, hopes other towns will follow suit | manitou, springs, hopes - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 PM

598 posts, read 1,547,691 times
I think the mayor did right by not issuing a proclamation. He would be issuing proclamation's left an right for everything that happened.

Guess what, Christian kids get picked on all the time at school. What happens? Nothing.
Fat kids get picked on in school. What happens? Nothing

I could go on and on about the injustices that occur in life. They are not right...regardless of skin color, sex, sexual preference, appearance, religioun, etc. But you also can't issue proclamations for every injustice that takes place either.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:12 PM

25 posts, read 50,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
I think the mayor did right by not issuing a proclamation. He would be issuing proclamation's left an right for everything that happened.
Not just that, but he said he wouldn't sign the proclamation during the campaign. Requesting it again after the election was a move calculated by Charles Irwin to attempt to garner sympathy and paint the new mayor in a bad light. This sort of demand for attention is counterproductive to Irwin's cause ... but frankly that suits me just fine.

Last edited by Baron of BBQ; 08-05-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSnewb View Post
Horrible act of vandalism, yes. But, if the gay and lesbian crowd want to be treated equal, equal rights...then why should someone be punished MORE for an assault against them as opposed to if I were assaulted? Is there life and well being more valuable then mine that if someone assaults them the person who did should be punished more? That doesn't seem very equal to me. I'm new to COS and I'm glad the mayor didn't sign that legislation...but again, I think an attack against anyone is horrible.
I think you make a good point and welcome to city-data.

I, for one... will forego my rights... my need to be right so others' more in need can have theirs. If some demand their rights, that means some of the rest of us must give up some of ours.

Some groups, special interest groups... etc. need to stand up for a certain cause or to ascertain what's right and wrong on a group of people. Take for instance, Breast Cancer Awareness... or slavery. Sometimes others don't have the same chance as others' do in getting along.

I say I will forego my rights or need to be right for two reasons... I'm living on borrowed time and am simply grateful to be alive. Live and let live.

Secondly, the Truth needs no defense... not from me and not from you. I don't understand the issues of sexual orientation. I think there are some who maybe predisposed to this but I don't know. It's not really so much on my radar. Instead of me having an opinion on the issue, I'd seek the parents' of a victim of intolerance and try to learn how they see the issue.

I do know Colorado Springs to have a conservative faction to it. I don't know this issue to be of political importance as something like a stance on abortion or gun control or a number of other complex issues we face today. I see this as a social issue that, as others have mentioned, is not unique to Colorado Springs.

The acts of vandalism here may be or may not be indicitive of CoSprings... idk. I'd say not necessarily.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 14,806 times
"Notice me!! I'm gay and I'm special" - Whatever....leave us alone. No one cares, seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs