Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,167 times

Advertisements

Hi, I don't know what it is, but I cant seem to get Old Colorado City out of my mind. I walked around it for a while and enjoyed the quaintness of the place while I was there!!! It isn't mentioned too much on these forums, is it a "bad" neighborhood in disquise? I would rent there first, and then maybe purchase a home there. I think they are a little pricey, but maybe will worth it for the ambience. Can any of the locals tell me about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
Hi,

I lived in that area (on 31st st) for a while. Rented a little house there. The house wasn't anything special and it was on a pretty busy street, but the rent was actually quite reasonable.

I really liked the neighborhood. The area I lived in--pleasant valley, just west and north of the shopping/tourist area of Old Colorado City--is an older (for Colorado Springs, anyway!) nieghborhood with a lot of mid-century ranch style homes. The scenery and proximity to the mtns. and garden of the gods can't be beat and it just had a more "established" feel than all the McMansions and cookie cutter developments in the newer (north and east) parts of town. Imagine, they actually have sidewalks!

As you know, there are also lots of old, lovely victorian homes more in Old Colorado City "proper", near the tourist shops.

There are a few bad pockets here and there, a few "undesireables" who live in some of the older homes/buildings that have been neglected and rented out cheap. But I certainly wouldn't classify it as a "bad" neighborhood.

One of my favorite memories of living there was when we were awakened one morning to a bunch of people cheering outside...we heard car horns honking and someone yelling something on a bullhorn. We went out to see what was going on and found out that the Olympic torch (2002 Salt Lake Olympics) was going to pass right by our house! Went in and got the video camera and now we have that wondeful memory recorded forever

As fate would have it, we didn't have to go in to work until later that particular day, otherwise we would have been gone and missed the whole thing!

Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Awesome post

That post was soooooo nice. That is what I liked about the area, the older established neighborhood. Seems like that is hard to find these days ha? Esp in some parts of CO. Would u happen to know the zipcodes of these areas, I know one of them is 80904. Is there any others I can look up?

Yes, I did find some cheaper rents in that area in the older established homes, I am sure they are not much but it is a start......Its just me anyhow.

Or if u know of any other really old established areas like this in CO, let me know. I know Old Town in Ft Collins is pretty neat also. But, for right now it looks like I may have to wait til college lets out there.......LOL. Still for some reason the rent is cheaper in the Springs, haven't figured that one out either.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:29 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
Yes, 80904, that was our zipcode. I'm not sure what the surrounding zips are...I'm guessing there's probably a website somewhere with that info though??

I'm not sure about the rest of Colorado, but do know that there are some older neighborhoods (again, mostly mid-century ranch type homes) with cheaper rent down in the Security/Widefield area south of town. Ft. Carson is in between that area and the mts., but there are still some nice views to be had. Not as charming as Old Colorado City, but it has tree-lined streets and a more "established" feel than the newer parts of town. It's kind of cut off from the rest of the city (actually it's mostly out of the city limits) so it kind of feels like it's own small town. It's pretty "blue collar" and mostly quiet, but there are a few "seedier" areas too, so you'd definitely want to look around before you bought/rented.

Another area you might want to look is west-central Colorado Springs (kind of by Colorado College) has a very nice "residential" feel, a little more upscale and some beautiful older homes of varying styles (bungalows, spanish style, etc.) A lot of homes in that area also have little "cottages" on the property (like a mother-in-law house) that people rent out. Might be a nice place for someone like yourself to start out.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Thank You again

West-Central? What zipcodes codes is that in? Sorry, I am just that not familiar with the area.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:44 PM

24 posts, read 136,544 times
The neighborhood that MidniteBreeze is refering to is commonly known as Old North End. It's zip code is 80907. It's actually the neighborhood I grew up in and is simply classic Colorado Springs. I highly recomend poking around and seeing if something strikes your fancy.

I currently live a couple blocks east of OCC in the 80904 and love it. I'm, renting a adorable 3 Br with a view of both the skyline of downtown and of Pikes Peak for only $850/mo.
[cut]

hope this helps!

Last edited by Marka; 09-08-2006 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 PM

I love that area, and yes it does help..........about a year ago I had a place in my "favorites" that had a bunch of real estate rentals in Old Colorado City, and they were very reasonable. I deleted it since then! Wish I could find it again.

I actually saw 1bedrooms, and studios in Old Colorado City for $325, pretty reasonable ha? I could handle that rent? LOL.

I looked at some of the houses in that zipcode just for kicks and found some that were really cute....... When I get ready to buy I would love an older craftsman house.

I do so love the old established neighborhoods, and the tree lined streets...Ok now I have 80904, and 80907. Any others?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:55 AM

24 posts, read 136,544 times
Also check 80903, 80905, 80906, and 80829.

G'luck!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:08 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,734 times
you may want to look into 80907 too, it is down by Patty Jewet Golf course. Beautiful area and older more established homes. SHEP

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Default Old Colorado City-give me a rundown

I remember visiting there shortly before 911 and felt the warmth of an old established section of town. Some questions I have about this area of CS are-1. Crime? 2. Property values? 3. Schools? Anything anyone can offer would be much appreciated-Thanks Hugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs