Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:07 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times

Advertisements

I remember one when I was about six where we had to go down to the basement and hang out for a few hours and afterward we found our neighbor's shed had blown away and a few neighbors' cars were overturned and a few windows around the area were broken. That's the most I've ever seen or heard of in the city/suburbs of the Springs itself - we've had more damaging winds than that that were not cyclonic - we can occasionally get some very strong straight winds. A crazy chinook wind in January about 3 years back knocked over a bunch of semis and tore off a bunch of roofs and a lot of trees were torn up from their roots.

Ellicott had a major (by our standards) tornado that destroyed the school in about 2001, but no one was hurt.

Funnel clouds are not all that uncommon here but actual tornadoes are pretty rare and they tend to be weak EF-0 or EF-1. Since the classification system has been used, there has never been an EF-5 tornado in Colorado, and only one EF-4 that actually started in Oklahoma and crossed the state line. Based on historical data, there is less than one EF-3 per year, about 6 a decade. Only about 5 tornado-caused deaths since 1950. Climate change does suggest that more and stronger tornadoes may be a reality over time, but in Colorado tornadoes are not generally a big deal. They are mostly located on the Eastern plains in lower populated areas - Weld County is the tornado hotspot for the state.

Tornadoes are not something people in Colorado Springs generally worry about, but we do have tornado drills at schools, etc., just in case.

https://climate.atmos.colostate.edu/..._Tornadoes.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravinbob View Post
Yes there are tornadoes in Colorado Springs. There are funnel clouds also, which are called tornadoes when they touch the earth.
In 1979 I believe I had lived here a year and 3 tornadoes touched down on the city's westside at about 21st and highway 24. One traveled east on Colorado Ave and all three did their share of damage. A liquor store called the Bottle Stop had its west side wall sucked out about 6 inches. The wall was made of cinder blocks. I have a few photos of damage in my photo box. It was a very thick sky just prior and the thunder clouds had a greenish hue. Then the rain then hail started and quickly became a down pour. The tornadoes appeared in trio for about 5 minutes travelling northeast then began going back up into the sky. The rain and hail stopped as the storm just like that moved on. The sky was as blue as could be and then trash started falling from the sky: fiberglass. roof shingles, small limbs and leaves and numerous other junk.
I have seen fierce storms here and also funnel clouds but not so much in the last decade. The city is not in the mountains but just east in what is called high desert plains. It can get cold and snow can drift on roads stranding the unprepared after a sunny morning. Winters usually were cold days followed by warm days but that pattern has changed to cold days only in winter. We are on the western edge of tornado alley, make no mistake, the weather can get violent. Residents must always bring clothing on outings for any type weather no matter the season. One year the Pikes Peak Hill Climb was delayed on July 4th because of snow!
Just came across your post regarding tornadoes in Colorado Springs and would love to know how to view the photos you mention.

I love our city even though I'm a transplant from 25 years ago.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Wish I knew how to post the photo to my phone of the tornado 2 days ago in Black Forest ...on ABC Nat'l News they said it was funnel cloud...it was HUGE! It was on that cool cloudy day.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
wow

Old 10-20-2023, 04:31 PM

Default wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wish I knew how to post the photo to my phone of the tornado 2 days ago in Black Forest ...on ABC Nat'l News they said it was a funnel cloud...it was HUGE! It was on that cool cloudy day.
wish I could have seen that!

The original OP might still be in COS somewhere .......

Old 10-20-2023, 07:29 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Here are the search results for tornado in Black Forest, Colorado.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tornado+in...=v139-1&ia=web

Old 10-20-2023, 07:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allup View Post
Been here 20 years, Never heard of one in the Springs. All are north west of Denver.
They're northeast of Denver, sometimes Aurora gets tornado warnings. Aurora is right on the edge of the Plains.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:28 AM

awesome pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs