Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM

20 posts, read 44,906 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I are entertaining the thought of moving to Colorado Springs for work. We are both young professionals (mid to late 20's) and looking for an area to live with young professionals. We definitely aren't the type to go out and drink every night or every weekend, but would like to have restaurants and bars suitable to a younger crowd somewhat close.

What would be the best area to search for a rental that is $1,500 or less per month?

Also, with her looking for a position in Higher Ed, what would be the best college choices for her to search for a position?

Thank you in advance for any information or advice you may be able to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,112,227 times
The city has two main colleges, Univ of Colo at Colo Spgs (UCCS) and private Colorado College, with the latter being right near downtown in the Old North End Neighborhood (ONEN) which is lovely but with few rentals. UCCS is a bit further north but still well within city limits.

I'm not sure there is much of anything in the way of an area that is geared towards young professionals.

There are a lot of eateries in the downtown area with ground zero being along Tejon St, between Kiowa St and Colorado Ave.

Westside of town along Colorado Ave (around 25th St, more or less) in Old Colorado City (OCC) has eateries and shops too.

Manitou Springs, further west a few miles, is loaded with eateries and shops and sits right at the foot of Pikes Peak.

Look in all these areas for places to live. Try paddmapper.com or ppar.com for rentals; read and heed the scam warnings for any Craigslist listings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,540,205 times
Colorado State University at Pueblo is not that far away if you live in the downtown Colorado Springs area or south of there and is another good option for higher ed. There is also Pikes Peak Community College which has many campuses in the Springs. It is probably the most likely to have openings.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Great, thank you so much for the information! We will begin our search!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Default Affordable housing

What some be some ideal or safe areas to look for renting a house/apartment?

I guess I may be looking for towns, neighborhoods, etc. I've heard the southern part of Colorado Springs is not the safest.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may be willing to provide! Looking to be close to shopping and restaurants. Looking at a budget of under $1,000/month.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Default Heather Wood Village?

Can anyone offer any advice on a Heather Wood Village townhome? Interested to see if it is in a good, safe area. It is located in COS and in El Paso County and school district 11. No kids but hopefully the prior information can help to pinpoint the location!

Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,221,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisoc12 View Post
What some be some ideal or safe areas to look for renting a house/apartment?

I guess I may be looking for towns, neighborhoods, etc. I've heard the southern part of Colorado Springs is not the safest.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may be willing to provide! Looking to be close to shopping and restaurants. Looking at a budget of under $1,000/month.

Thanks!
At that budget, you won't be moving into any houses but you can find most older 2 bedroom apartments on the north side in your price range. I would look along Austin Bluffs as there are some apartments within a short drive of decent shoping and restaruants. You'll also get to stay away from First and Main which is just a jumbled mess of chains and big box stores with traffic jams every night. Cheyenne Canyon Rd. on the south side of town is very safe but it is also very expensive to rent there as it is very pretty and near the Broadmoor.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM

930 posts, read 1,656,809 times
That apartment complex is located at Powers and Palmer Park, which has a Walmart, and a ton of other stores around it. There have been a couple high profile crimes there- there was a student at my school who was carjacked there, and there was also a murder in that area, if i remember correctly. I would be hesitant just because of the high amount of traffic, not because of the crime, necessarily. It's on the far east side of the city and is far away from what you would enjoy as a couple in the 20s. I think focusing your efforts along I-25 and west would work the best.

You can find a lot less general stores that you can find almost anywhere the further west you can go. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot along the "Powers Corridor" that is appealing- many of the big box stores people like, etc, but if you want some of the charm and appeal of older, more established neighborhoods, I'd look farther west.

Further, if you do like the appeal that the Powers Corridor offers, I'd suggest looking farther north, but then your rent is likely going to be higher as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,604,597 times
There are some nice apartment complexes on the Academy corridor above North Carefree.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM

Great, thanks for the reply! That is very helpful! I think we will looks west of I-25. Any specific neighborhoods or towns that you would suggest us targeting?

Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs