Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 PM

16 posts, read 79,620 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at taking a job in there starting this summer. I have several friends who have/ or are currently living there. They told me so many good things about the city, how it is the best place to live and raise a family and that we will never get board there are so many things to do. Well I have to say I was a little disappointed. It's just not what I expected- I still think we could be happy there and would enjoy living so close to the mountains. I think I just expected something different? Maybe a little bigger and not so spread out.

So my question is- IF you have not lived in Colorado Springs your entire life what took you there and what do you like about living there? Please be honest beacuse we have big decisions to make and soon!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,746 times
Having moved here from the Northern VA area about a year and a half ago, here's our short version: No humidity, No bugs, No traffic. Other than that, the weather is great if you like four seasons; the outdoor activities are endless (biking, hiking, camping, day trips in the mountains, proximity to skiing, etc.; great scenery; low cost of living and housing prices (at least compared to the DC area); no crazy weather (tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes) other than hail; we like that COS is a mid-size town with proximity to a big city; it's a college town (for continuing education and cultural activities); has a really good symphony, particularly for a city this size; AAA baseball team where the best seats in the house are $12. We're not raising a family, but other posters will jump in about the good schools here. COS has been named by Forbes, Money, etc., as one of the best mid-sized cities in the country. It's also been named as one of the safest.

Question: How do you get "a bit bigger" without being even more spread out?

Not sure what you're looking for or what specifically disappointed you. If you're looking for new suburbs, there are a number springing up to the east and north east of town that look quite nice. Downtown's historic district (Old North End) is a great neighborhood. There are more churches than you can count. If you're disappointed with the downtown core, did you check out Old Colorado City or Manitou Springs?

It all boils down to what you're looking for. If it's a big city environment, with all the good and bad that go along with that environment, Denver's just up the road. If you're looking for a mid-size city with a slower pace, IMO COS fits the bill very nicely. We're happy with our decision to move here and have had no regrets.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,962 times
I don't need this city to be any bigger, although it would be nice if we had a downtown that resembled a downtown.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Thanks Carrera32!! Disappointed was the wrong word to use. I think a better word choice would have been surprised. I had pictured something totally different in my head, so I was surprised at what I saw. No humidity and bugs though- I think I'm sold!! I am living in the south right now and the bugs and heat are already unbearable.
I have done hours of online research and am convinced we would be more than happy there. Plus reports are Peyton Manning might be moving up the road!! Love that news, but I also really like Tebow.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM

288 posts, read 452,930 times
During the winter months the pro's are also low humidity, which makes the actual cold feel less chilly.
In a month or so when everything greens it will be very pretty. I like to stay close to the west side towards the mountain since I love trails (Stratton Open Space/Cheyenne Canyon all the way into national forest) and Garden of the Gods and Manitou Springs.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 PM

288 posts, read 452,930 times
A quick drive (60 min.) takes you to Denver for the big city feel, I like Denver (Park Meadows Mall) but I always am glad to come 'home' to my 'little' town here....makes me realize that COS is not stressful. Also, 2.5 hrs to skiing in Breckenridge or Monarch, 3 hrs to Winterpark.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM

17 posts, read 40,783 times
Another vote for Denver if you want to see a real city scape. It's a pleasant drive from the Springs, just did it this weekend to have brunch with my Uncle.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks! I love the information you get on these forums- so helpful. I do have one question about schools if anyone can answer it. We met with a realtor and he mentioned something about "picking" our daughters elementary school and interviewing the principle and staff. Is it an open enrollment to any school within the district or are there boundaries that decides your school for you. We are looking at District 20 because of its location to my husbands job location.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
It is open enrollment not only in district, but out-of-district, too, provided there is space available, which can be iffy in some places - AND you have to provide the transportation.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,204 times
Sunshine and low humidity. Easy access to National Forest, state, county, city parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs