Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 AM

31 posts, read 178,045 times

Advertisements

We will be looking to rent our home out in Monument in the next 6 months. We won't know where our next Air Force assignment will be until Oct but I want to prepare our home for renting in the meantime.

Trying to decide whether to use an agency or rent it direct. Anybody have any experience or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM

19 posts, read 65,674 times
We have a house in Dist. 38 that we rented out 2 years ago. We moved to Durango, so we can be up there in 6 hours if neccessary. Our first renters broke the lease after 3 or 4 months. They left at night and it sat empty for a week to 10 days before we realized it was vacant. They were paid in advance on the rent so it didn't cost us financially to have it vacant. But it was a pain driving up there on weekends to show it. And then took 2 months to rent it again. Current folks have been great and have 6 months left on their lease.
If I was far away I would use an agency. But I like to meet who is going to be living in our house. We get 1st and last mo. rent and a large sec. deposit. If you rent it yourselves be sure to check refs. and do a credit check if possible.
Good luck.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,059 times
Pictures? And how much are you asking and how big is it? Bed bath etc?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM

20,500 posts, read 14,885,798 times
If you're going on AF assignment probably to another state, I'd say you almost have to hire someone to manage it. Question is, do you know any individuals that you might trust (like really close family or friends) who you might pay to do it for you?...if not, you've got to hire professionals.

If you go to hire professionals, I'd advise some really hardcore research before you entrust your property to their care. I was SHOCKED at the conditions present in the rental we moved into (sight unseen) when we got here. Things that were filthy, broken, and downright dangerous that we had to MAKE the property management fix, after they neglected the house for months when the last tenants spooked off in the night last year. Seriously, it was bad. I suspect that with PM services (often provided by realty companies) you get what you pay for, and this is one of the cheap ones. At least I hope the owner isn't paying them much...'cause he's not getting much out of them.

So here's what I'd suggest. Since you have time, pretend you're a prospective renter. Find a handful of agencies that come up on major rental search sites (you want one that knows how to list a vacancy and get it filled.) And then pick some random properties and have them "show" them to you. Assess the conditions of the houses, the vibe of the personnel who show them, etc. and read as many reviews online as possible. Know who you are dealing with, and if you want to know the name of my Prop. Mgt.--so you can avoid them--send me a private message. I don't think I'm supposed to specifically advise against particular companies in this forum...Mike?...

Anyhow best of luck to you!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM

26,339 posts, read 49,351,011 times
I'd really suggest a good property manager, and I know of at least two firms that are good. There is one firm out there that does a terrible job but I cannot divulge that info in a public forum. I will DM the OP and give them that info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Thanks everyone, I am going to really do my homework, this is an important decision and just because one pays a high fee doesnt ensure good service. I was looking at Rusniak but came across some recent bad reviews. This is going to my little project for sometime

Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,059 times
I tried to respond to ur pm but i got a message that u arent allowed to receive pm's

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 AM

20,500 posts, read 14,885,798 times
Aujeep just accidentally PM'ed you...meant to hit up the OP. You can ignore, I'll send it to Bexxer as intended. Sorry 'bout that!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM

No worries, got your PM. Thanks for your 2 cents worth. Always valuable advice on this forum. Think I may have found a good management company to rent our home through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs