Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 37,176 times

Advertisements

Well, hello there COSers. This is my first post here, but I am a long time lurker. A little bit of background on myself: First of all, I cannot give any possible identifying information in order for myself and my offspring to remain safe. I moved to COS in the beginning of June. I left my home state due to a volatile/dangerous situation. I also left for health reasons. No, I did not have it planned out since I felt I needed to leave ASAP, so I did just that knowing that our future is very uncertain. I left with $500 in my pocket and some hope for a better life. I was going to make my way up the west coast and see if the pacific northwest would be a fit for me, but decided at the last minute to drive through Colorado. I had not been here for years and thought, ."Well, as long as I am traveling with no real destination in mind, I'd like to see the Rockies again." Everything turned into a nightmare when I arrived here. My vehicle broke down, we eventually ran out of money, and we were homeless in a Walmart parking lot. What fun! It has been an adventure to say the least, and while we were stuck we found we love this city. We are not from a place that's very pretty. As a matter of fact, it's very flat and brown. To us, this is very lush and green. I know some here would disagree with that assessment, but I would tell them to go live where I am from then come back and talk to me about how brown this place is. This place is a paradise in comparison! We have been able to camp in surrounding areas, and meet random people who are natives. People here generally seem nice. Some have been a nightmare to deal with, but all in all my experiences have been delightful. Even some of the homeless people here have been very kind, especially in the Powers/Palmer Park area. They are the reason our car is running again when others passed us by like we did not exist. Someone was kind enough to take us in, but they live between Pueblo and COS, and it is next to impossible to get from point A to point B. Wow! You can really use up some gas here, especially with that long drive to simply go to the store. It's made it very hard to go into town to job search.

I would really like to grow some roots here...I think that our vehicle breaking down was a sign. It made us explore and see that this is actually a very cool place. I do have some questions for natives or even people who have lived here for several years and know the area well.

My first question is: what companies here do a lot of hiring? The only one I have been told about is Xerox out by Garden of the Gods Rd. Arethere any other ones? I am not a fan of working for a big company, I have never cared for the impersonal environment, but I need a job, so I will just deal. I was also wondering if there are any local answering services in the area? I have an extensive background as a supervisor in that line of work. These types of businesses usually answer phones for physicians, apartment complexes, answer security alarms, dispatching, etc. The only thing I can find on them are national call centers that aren't based here. I am very front desk, customer service oriented. So, jobs like that are where I shine. I simply cannot waste gas driving around an area I don't know looking for places that are hiring.

My second question is: are there certain areas that people are known not to be as friendly? I don't know, I have experienced some really rude people in the fountain area. Not only that, but when I say things like, "oh, excuse me." when trying to cross in front of someone I get looked at like I am nuts. No smile, no,"it's ok, go ahead." nothing. I find this odd. Am I doing something wrong? I thought perhaps it was my ethnicity, but that can't be the case. I look around and see all kinds of people here. This is not my home yet, so we are trying to learn the way people are here and adjust accordingly. I refuse to be rude, though. I just can't do that. On the subject of rudeness...why are people so rude on the road? I am guessing it is because of the plates on my car. I am from a state some Coloradans do not like from what I understand. How sad...because I'm a pretty cool person, and nothing like the stereotypes people think about when they think about my home state. I drive pretty normal IMO. I have lived and driven in cities this size, and I have lived in metro areas where the population was well over 3 million. People tailgate me(I go the speed limit of 5 over, it is never enough), I even had people honk and yell profanities. Hmmmm. I wasn't even sure what I did. lol I have learned that crosswalks are actually utilized here. I'm not used to that. I also learned there are certain areas I have to be extra vigilant looking for joggers, bikers, DEER, etc. The turning lanes start waaaaay before the actual turns. Most people are kind, and I try to be courteous on the roads...but, wow some drivers have absolutely made almost pee in my pants with how aggressive they are. I-25? Is 75 mph simply a suggestion? Most of the time people are passing me at 80 or 90 mph. This is more coming from midway into COS.

I have to have a goal, and I have 2. To gain employment, then get into my own place IN THE CITY, so I won't be working just to pay for gas. My last question: is OCC a good place to shoot for as far as affordable living? I love that area! The diversity in that area is so yummy to me, and I love the the lived in feel of the neighborhoods there. I was not a fan of the area east of downtown. It's not me, and a personal preference. I have read what some people consider seedy here, and some of those places weren't seedy at all to me. Some of the people might be questionable, but they seemed happy enough to smile and wave and go about their business. Some of the "weirdos" give certain areas some added quirkiness that I really enjoy. I have also acquired a puppy, and OCC seems to he very dog friendly, and bear creek dog park is fairly close.

Finally, choose one nugget of wisdom/advice that you feel is imperative for any newcomer to know. I figured one out on my own. Stay off of 24 in the mountains when there is a flash flood warning. Those actually mean something out here. We missed that mudslide by about 30 minutes about 4 weeks ago. Scary stuff!

I think that is all I have for the time being. This is already extremely long. Sorry about that. Anyway, I look forward to starting a life here and becoming a productive citizen In your beautiful city. It seriously takes my breath away every time I look towards the mountains. I can't wait for the fall and winter! I know some of these things are searchable on the forum, but it's hard to do from a phone. I also wanted to state my opinions about what I have seen so far. I'm hoping I can come and visit here more often and have input as a newcomer and what I have learned so far.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
Welcome to town. Sounds like you've had quite the time of it lately. Hope things turn around for you.

I can't speak to the hiring situation. Other posters are far better tuned in that I am and will weigh in.

As to your second point, about rudeness both personally and on the road: As a relative newcomer to town (almost 3 years now), I haven't experienced the degree of rudeness you have, particularly as compared to the East Coast, where I most recently lived. Maybe it's just my perspective; I was used to being treated rudely back there. People I interact with here on a casual basis (wait staff, counter persons, customer service reps, etc.) have generally treated us very well. I'm sure I've blocked on a few less than polite folks... but my suggestion is to keep a positive outlook, continue to be polite to people you encounter, and I think you'll find it'll all even out. This really is a pretty friendly area.

As for the traffic situation, you'll find plenty of posts here commenting on the relative lack of skill and road manners exhibited here and elsewhere in the state. When I was stationed in Denver in the AF, a few decades ago, we all made jokes about the poor drivers. My personal opinion is that drivers have improved over the years...but, yes, running red lights seems to be the state sport. As for speeding, I'd say once you're clear of Monument to the North and Fountain to the South on I-25, the 75 mph limit is pretty much a "suggestion." If you want to run at 75, my suggestion is to just stay in the right lane with the RV's and horse trailers. You'll be fine and nobody should give you trouble. However, the passing lane is just that. If you're not passing or at least keeping up with the traffic in that lane, regardless of the speed you're traveling (even if at or above the posted limit), you should be in the right lane. The dirty looks and honking horns are usually reserved for those who plant themselves in the passing lane and won't move over, even if there's a train of 20 cars behind them. I just got back from Denver an hour ago; I was driving at 80 or so most of the way 'til the construction just north of town. I passed my share of cars, but a bunch more passed me. I kept my eye on the rear view mirror and if someone wanted to travel faster than me (regardless of my speed, or theirs), I moved over. Simple, safe and polite.

If I'm on a one-lane road and someone is sitting on my bumper and being an **s, I'll just look for a safe place to pull over and let 'em go. Life's too short to get into a road rage situation..and I'm no little old man in a hat hunched over the wheel of his Buick (sorry Buick drivers). I drive sports cars, do track days, etc. So, I'm not afraid to air it out...just (for the most part) not on the public roads.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
School districts are probably all hiring for kitchen help, crossing guards, security personnel, classroom aides, bus drivers, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Welcome to town. Sounds like you've had quite the time of it lately. Hope things turn around for you.

I can't speak to the hiring situation. Other posters are far better tuned in that I am and will weigh in.

As to your second point, about rudeness both personally and on the road: As a relative newcomer to town (almost 3 years now), I haven't experienced the degree of rudeness you have, particularly as compared to the East Coast, where I most recently lived. Maybe it's just my perspective; I was used to being treated rudely back there. People I interact with here on a casual basis (wait staff, counter persons, customer service reps, etc.) have generally treated us very well. I'm sure I've blocked on a few less than polite folks... but my suggestion is to keep a positive outlook, continue to be polite to people you encounter, and I think you'll find it'll all even out. This really is a pretty friendly area.

As for the traffic situation, you'll find plenty of posts here commenting on the relative lack of skill and road manners exhibited here and elsewhere in the state. When I was stationed in Denver in the AF, a few decades ago, we all made jokes about the poor drivers. My personal opinion is that drivers have improved over the years...but, yes, running red lights seems to be the state sport. As for speeding, I'd say once you're clear of Monument to the North and Fountain to the South on I-25, the 75 mph limit is pretty much a "suggestion." If you want to run at 75, my suggestion is to just stay in the right lane with the RV's and horse trailers. You'll be fine and nobody should give you trouble. However, the passing lane is just that. If you're not passing or at least keeping up with the traffic in that lane, regardless of the speed you're traveling (even if at or above the posted limit), you should be in the right lane. The dirty looks and honking horns are usually reserved for those who plant themselves in the passing lane and won't move over, even if there's a train of 20 cars behind them. I just got back from Denver an hour ago; I was driving at 80 or so most of the way 'til the construction just north of town. I passed my share of cars, but a bunch more passed me. I kept my eye on the rear view mirror and if someone wanted to travel faster than me (regardless of my speed, or theirs), I moved over. Simple, safe and polite.

If I'm on a one-lane road and someone is sitting on my bumper and being an **s, I'll just look for a safe place to pull over and let 'em go. Life's too short to get into a road rage situation..and I'm no little old man in a hat hunched over the wheel of his Buick (sorry Buick drivers). I drive sports cars, do track days, etc. So, I'm not afraid to air it out...just (for the most part) not on the public roads.
Thank you for the driving tips. I think within the city limits I have been going too slow while looking for my destination. I do turn off if someone is tailing me, but thats hard to do if I'm on a street like powers already doing 60 and the other driver clearly has 2 other lanes to go around. As far as 25 goes, I am paranoid to go over the limit because of state troopers back home ticketing for 2mph over.

The rudeness is perception like you said. I am from the south, we shoot the breeze with everyone. It's shocking when people don`t reciprocate, I suppose. Ah well, we will adjust.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Here is a website that posts lots of local jobs: Colorado Workforce

Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Rude people are everywhere, as are nice people - I don't think this area has any more than anywhere else. That's my nugget.

If you can stomach it, there are a lot of call center jobs ... a lot of them are available through temp agencies. I would suggest you sign up with a few: AppleOne, AddStaff, ExpressPros ... all those places have websites that list available jobs, but it helps to go to their offices in person and fill out applications and take tests (typing or data entry, for example). Some of those jobs can lead to being hired.

Good luck, and just ignore the rude people ... that's what I do.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames2dust View Post
Thank you for the driving tips. I think within the city limits I have been going too slow while looking for my destination. I do turn off if someone is tailing me, but thats hard to do if I'm on a street like powers already doing 60 and the other driver clearly has 2 other lanes to go around. As far as 25 goes, I am paranoid to go over the limit because of state troopers back home ticketing for 2mph over.

The rudeness is perception like you said. I am from the south, we shoot the breeze with everyone. It's shocking when people don`t reciprocate, I suppose. Ah well, we will adjust.
Like Carerra, I'm from the East, so this seems like the friendliest place on earth to me. I'm always a little surprised when random strangers start up conversations with me in stores, but I'm getting used to it. I've also found that a lot of times people go *under* the speed limit here. Maybe it just depends on what part of town you're in.

With respect to where to live...

You mentioned offspring, so are schools a big factor for you? Elementary, middle, high school? Are you of the opinion that the school your kids go to must be top rated, or do you have other factors?

I've found all areas of town to be really kid and dog friendly. Bear Creek dog park is awesome. I love Old Colorado City, and would totally live there if we'd have been able to find the right house on the right lot (we have some weird space needs). Also check out the area just west of 115, south of I-25, east to saaay 8th street. I was surprised to find that neighborhood, which has some older, funkier type houses. Tough to say about affordability, though, I haven't really checked.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 AM

115 posts, read 158,284 times
OCC housing costs are probably about average. The housing style and qualities aren't to everyone's liking, but if you like them you won't find it to be much more expensive than other parts of the city. I decided to live in a different area because I could get more quality for the money, but I still spent just as much.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Like Carerra, I'm from the East, so this seems like the friendliest place on earth to me. I'm always a little surprised when random strangers start up conversations with me in stores, but I'm getting used to it. I've also found that a lot of times people go *under* the speed limit here. Maybe it just depends on what part of town you're in.

With respect to where to live...

You mentioned offspring, so are schools a big factor for you? Elementary, middle, high school? Are you of the opinion that the school your kids go to must be top rated, or do you have other factors?

I've found all areas of town to be really kid and dog friendly. Bear Creek dog park is awesome. I love Old Colorado City, and would totally live there if we'd have been able to find the right house on the right lot (we have some weird space needs). Also check out the area just west of 115, south of I-25, east to saaay 8th street. I was surprised to find that neighborhood, which has some older, funkier type houses. Tough to say about affordability, though, I haven't really checked.

I am not insistant on a top notch school as mine came from a mediocre district and was making A`s and doing well in extracurricular activities. I believe my children will thrive just about anywhere as long as I stay involved also. I would prefer decent music, art, and sports programs on the middle and especially high school levels.

I might add that we would like to live in a walkable neighborhood with schools and at least a few stores/shops nearby. That is an ideal situation. I do realize that you can`t always get what you want, though.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM

44 posts, read 46,449 times
Hi, I'm from Atlanta area (and ultimately from Alabama) and just moved here recently. Personally, I found the people here more friendly than I did in Atlanta and its suburbs. For me, I find it refreshing that people here are simply polite but are not going to tell you their life story and/or give deep opinions on things the first time you meet them (I felt like I got too much of that from people back in Georgia). It seems the belief here is 'live and let live'. If you try to approach encounters like that, I'm sure you'll find others that reciprocate that. Of course there are the 5 percenters but if you think of them with the problem or they're just having a bad day (which is pretty much how it is), you'll enjoy the people here more.

I am very fortunate to be able to work remotely, so I don't know much about the work situation here -- some of my company's partners are here in the Springs and in Denver. They have told me there is a lot of IT work for such a small population (compared to big cities back east). Otherwise, I hear it can be tough to find something. I am used to finding something in 2-3 weeks if I need to, but I've found that's not the case here. It can take a couple of months for those who are working it hard. It sounds like you are looking to rent. If so, it can be hard to find a place here. We lucked into a place near Briargate/Dublin blvd area (but costs much more than in Atlanta). OCC is hard to find a rental for. I would advise finding a reasonable place and be happy you found it but then later, being on the lookout for the specific area you want to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs