Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,940 times

Advertisements

Is it difficult and/or prohibitively expensive to get homeowners insurance in Colorado Springs? I am looking at buying, but I'm concerned that the fires have made it tough. Any areas to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondyne View Post
Is it difficult and/or prohibitively expensive to get homeowners insurance in Colorado Springs? I am looking at buying, but I'm concerned that the fires have made it tough. Any areas to avoid?
Logic would tell me that buying by the burned down Black Forest or Waldo Canyons fire areas would make for higher premiums. Maybe someone from the Springs can chime in.

I would make sure that the roof tiles are composite shingle or clay, most likely composite, and make sure it doesn't have wood shingles. Everyone I know of that bought a house with wood shingles in Denver Metro their rates are 2-3x what rates with non wood shingles are.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondyne View Post
It mostly depends on the cost of the home, its condition and what your coverage is like. But there may be higher premiums in risk areas, which would include thick-dry forests, box canyons, and edges of cliffs, among other places.

If your question is if the fires have made it prohibitively expensive for average people in regular neighborhoods to get homeowners insurance: No.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,699 times
I would agree with otterprods. You will probably have higher premiums in areas that are heavily treed and don't have fire hydrants., or in some of the areas that are now flood prone after the fires. You might try calling a local insurance agent and see what they have to say about things here, and if you have a particular house in mind, they may even be able to give you a quote on that. And you can always opt for a higher deductible which will drop your premiums (just make sure you can afford the deductible if you need to file a claim).

Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 PM

409 posts, read 704,034 times
It also depends on the area that you're in.

This summer, we had a contract on a house on the northern end of the Rockrimmon area. IIRC, the insurance cost (~$380k house) was somewhere around 2 grand. That house fell through, and we bought in the Northgate area. The insurance for this house (~$370k) is only about a thousand a year for the same type of coverage.

Check out fire risk on this map: CSFD Wildfire Mitigation

It's a sure bet that insurance companies do, too.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Higher costs than before, yes. Difficult to get, no. All the companies will still write policies, they just cost more. It's not that bad though. My insurance is only around a hundred bucks a month to cover rebuild cost of 250k. Note, I live in the suburbs, so less fire risk. Flood insurance is not included, but I countered that by buying on higher land.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,705 times
Not all insurance companies will write insurance in all areas. I live and have my office in Black Forest and know the options. You can contact me if you have more questions.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:30 PM

177 posts, read 314,878 times
Having just sold a house myself make sure the one you buy does not have "t-lock" shingles since you can not insure those either (as previous people have stated about the wood shingles).

As long as the roof is new(er) you should NOT have any issues getting insurance.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 PM

193 posts, read 356,260 times
We live on the East side of town, nowhere near the fires, floods, hail...etc (at least we were not affected by any of the natural disasters this year). We were very surprised that our insurance did not go up at all. We have USAA. This leads me to believe that increases in premium are very dependent on location. We pay less than a hundred/month to rebuild around 300k. This involves massive discounts for bundling, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs