Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 73,274 times

Advertisements

My friends son got a DWI about 2 1/2 years ago and is now looking for an insurance company to get liability only on an older car he is going to buy. Does the DWI make the price go up higher for the insurance or does he have to go to certain insurenace agency. He's 23 yrs old. Any information would be so helpful.
Thank you

Last edited by daybyday4u; 09-10-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM

110 posts, read 294,219 times
I would talk to either an insurance agency, or give progressive, state farm, or geico a call. They would be able to help you decide what kind of insurance to get and what a quote will be. I go thru Progressive and like it alot. I am 24, but have a pretty clean driving record, so my rates aren't too bad. With a DWI, the rates can get a little pricey. I am not positive, but from what I understand, a DWI consitutes SR22 (very very expensive insurance.) That is in Iowa anyway, not sure if Colorado is different. I would definitely give those three major companies a call. If they can't insure that car, I don't know of anyone else that can. Best of luck!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Yup he will have to carry an SR-22 Bond, and maintain proof of it for 5 years with the Colorado BMV.

He lets it lapse even once and they'll yank his licence.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM

252 posts, read 926,111 times
None of the majors will insure him. There's a place over off of Circle and Monterey where CUB Foods used to be that specialize in that. Or try www.UnitrinDirect.com

Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 73,274 times
I let him know the helpful informaiton you all provided. It's actually a DWAI from 2 1/2 years ago. I really don't know the difference.
Thank you all

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM

I speak from experience

Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM

252 posts, read 926,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I speak from experience
DWAI = Driving while alcohol impared
DUI = Driving under the influence

Difference is DWAI is under .08 DUI is .08 and over

Fines and repercussions are basically the same.
My son is a cop

Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Yeah, which is TOTAL BS! Why even make a legal limit if they can still impose the same punishment for being UNDER? Might as well say if you drink anything, you're effed.

Preciseley why if you get pulled over, and even if you KNOW you're drunk, NEVER submit to any field sobriety tests. Just hand over your licence, and call your lawyer.

Any kind of breathalyzer or urinalisys tests you do, are just giving them evidence with which to convict you.
You're gonna lose your licence either way, so you might as well take a shot at seeing if your lawyer can talk it down to a reckless operation or something.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM

18,017 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I'd rather have a or be convicted of a DWAI (8 point ticket) than a Wreckless Driving ticket (12 point ticket) or a DUI (12 point ticket) anyday.

The latter two have a minimum of one year (or did at one time) imposed on them. The DUI would probably be the worst overall, including manatory jail sentence depending how many in a certain time, community service, court fines, alcohol education and therapy (level 1 or 2 depending on circumstances), probation (which includes the further monitoring and signatures to so many AA meetings and perhaps urine tests), lawyer fees...

Now if you refuse the test, that's one year suspension on your license and as far as the DMV is concerned, practically an admittal of guilt.

The DWAI, if it's your first one, may have lesser sentencing these days than what they were doing in the early 80s, back in my drinking days. As tough as they are now, it was no picnic back in the early and mid 80s.

If your "friend" or "friends son" didn't "Pay the Piper" so to speak, yet, then he's gonna pay the piper now. And the thing with the mandatory SR-22 is the sooner he gets going on it, the sooner he gets over it and back into an affordable premium insurance company.

DWAI: 8 points
DUI: 12 points
Wreckless Driving: 12 points.

Need a good lawyer's number, call me. Actually don't. But I do know they can get you off on a technicality if you come clean with the judge and do what you're supposed to do and if the cop makes a mistake.

If you just don't take the test, good luck.

If you have a drinking problem, make a choice; drink or drive. That's it.

If you don't have a drinking problem but just made a little mistake, plan ahead and pass the keys next time.

Not that I know anything about this topic. You could call all of that MY valued opinion.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Just don't drink and drive though, ever. That will get you out of any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs