Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:54 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times

Advertisements

Newer ballpark, lower altitude entices Colorado Rockies to sign with Triple-A Albuquerque | gazette.com

Apparently the Rockies have had enough of the Sky Sox and are moving on to franchise the Albuquerque Isotopes. Boo for us, good for Albuquerque as it appears the Dodgers have abandoned them. The official reason: a difference of 1,200 feet in elevation because the Sky Sox pitchers have a hard time in the Springs. I'm curious who will take over the Sky Sox. Obviously they will lose their Colorado connection and they're still the home team but this bit of news is a little sad and nostalgic. The home team just lost a little bit of the "home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I have heard the reason was the stadium and no one wanted to upgrade it in the Springs.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,345 times
Oh, yeah.. the Sky Sox.. they exist. Thanks for reminding me.
Maybe there'll be a silver lining here somewhere. I mean, if you're going to hang on the coattails of a Major League team, there are better options than the Rockies, after all.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have heard the reason was the stadium and no one wanted to upgrade it in the Springs.
They recently did an upgrade to the tune of $13 million dollars. I believe it's the first they did since it was built in the late '80's. Granted, the field isn't in the best location, being out in the eastern suburbs between Cimarron Hills and Stetson Hills, in some windy country, but the facilities are vastly improved from a few years ago.

Regardless of the reason, I'm disappointed the Sox will no longer be affiliated with my favorite baseball team.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
They recently did an upgrade to the tune of $13 million dollars. I believe it's the first they did since it was built in the late '80's. Granted, the field isn't in the best location, being out in the eastern suburbs between Cimarron Hills and Stetson Hills, in some windy country, but the facilities are vastly improved from a few years ago.

Regardless of the reason, I'm disappointed the Sox will no longer be affiliated with my favorite baseball team.
This was coming from someone I know who works at a news station. I did see on 13 a new team will use it so its not like the Springs will not have minor league baseball anymore. It will just not be with the Rockies. Honestly I am not a baseball fan but if I was I think I would be upset.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Oh, yeah.. the Sky Sox.. they exist. Thanks for reminding me.
Maybe there'll be a silver lining here somewhere. I mean, if you're going to hang on the coattails of a Major League team, there are better options than the Rockies, after all.
Ha! You're right in a way. The Rockies aren't the best team (about the worst this year) but it's Colorado Springs. The Sky Sox had the Rockies coat tails in hand just as Colorado Springs has Denver's coat tails. Way to put it in perspective, Mire, but it still seems like a shame. Heck, it's one of the few bright spots COS had going for it. Maybe the silver lining is that this is an opportunity for COS to split from Denver and create a small identity of its own. Oh, wait, a team from out of state will pick up the Sox franchise. Never mind...

Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
This was coming from someone I know who works at a news station. I did see on 13 a new team will use it so its not like the Springs will not have minor league baseball anymore. It will just not be with the Rockies. Honestly I am not a baseball fan but if I was I think I would be upset.
A new team will pick them up, that's a given. I'm not a big sports fan but I do love my baseball. More than anything I'm a Colorado kid that is aggrieved that my local team just lost its local connection. I'll still root for the Sox but ultimately it feels like another failure for Colorado Springs.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
A new team will pick them up, that's a given. I'm not a big sports fan but I do love my baseball. More than anything I'm a Colorado kid that is aggrieved that my local team just lost its local connection. I'll still root for the Sox but ultimately it feels like another failure for Colorado Springs.
It depends on the reason they left. If its because of the stadium then I agree its a failure on the Springs if its because of factors the city could not control such as the Rockies wanting a presence in New Mexico then no.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
It depends on the reason they left. If its because of the stadium then I agree its a failure on the Springs if its because of factors the city could not control such as the Rockies wanting a presence in New Mexico then no.
You know, I can't definitively say why they abandoned the Sky Sox. You make a good point. When City for Champions was out on the table the original plan was to build a new stadium downtown. That fell to the wayside, albeit a stadium is still in the plans, just not a minor league baseball stadium. That could be a failure on the part of the city of Colorado Springs. But a lot of money was put into revamping the current stadium in its current location so why waste the money to build a new one? It seems like a catch-22.

Albuquerque and New Mexico are lacking in the realm of professional and semi-pro teams so it would be a good niche, yes. I've spent a large part of my life in New Mexico and I'm glad to see them take this on. The Rockies are a much larger presence there than the Isotopes former owner so it will be good for them. Most people I know in NM are Colorado team fans.

The "official" reason for leaving is the altitude of Colorado Springs. That's a weak excuse so I have an inkling that there is more to the story. Maybe both the Rockies and Sky Sox abysmal season this year?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 AM

On KRDO they said attendance was up last year to about 350,000 people. Not sure how that ranks to other teams. The reality is most likely its a mix of both reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs