Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 18,245 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows any apartments that will rent to people with bad credit history. I am currently not in the springs at the moment but I will be moving up on the 16th and it is quickly approaching. I have applied at several places and got shot down pretty quick and with the non refundable app fees it's kicking my butt. My credit history is due to my divorce last year as well as the looming layoff here in kansas.

Thanks for your help,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 20,260 times
There seem to be no shortage of slummy apartments in Denver and Colorado Springs that must have no credit requirement judging by the occupants. I don't know them first hand though. But man, I feel kind of bad for you because the ones I see are really loud with people that throw trash all around.

Is it just your credit history or is it you can't prove that you are employed and have income? Because from what I've experienced, proving you have income and can afford the rent is more important than anything.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 18,245 times
It's my bad credit that is causing everything. I can prove the income with a job letter as well as disability benefits from the VA at 1933 a month and educational benefits at 723 per month. being able to afford it is not the problem at all

Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 20,260 times
I see some random ads that say they will look past a bad credit score and look at your rental history.

I know while renting in Denver, some places required that you made 4x the rent as your income. Which I thought was a bit extreme.

Maybe to save on your application fee, you can tell them your credit score/rental history/income level outright and ask if you should even bother applying?

Hopefully someone here will know a place. There is also renting directly from owners but I don't know how reliable that is and you have to weed through scams on Craigslist.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digidoggie18 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows any apartments that will rent to people with bad credit history. I am currently not in the springs at the moment but I will be moving up on the 16th and it is quickly approaching. I have applied at several places and got shot down pretty quick and with the non refundable app fees it's kicking my butt. My credit history is due to my divorce last year as well as the looming layoff here in kansas.

Thanks for your help,
Tim
Hey Tim, let me provide some help.

Before you give a company a single cent, find out what their exact requirements are for approving an application. If they will not spell it out exactly, don't apply. They are stealing your money and you are allowing them to do it.

You can get your credit score for something like $10, when you are denied, you can demand a copy of the report they used to make the decision. So contact each place that denied you and get a copy of the report they used. There are three credit rating agencies, so the different apartments may have different reports.

I have absolutely never lost a single dime to a failed application. How does a looming layoff impact your credit history? A looming layoff by definition is a future event while history, also by definition, refers to past events. To my knowledge, divorce does not directly impact credit history, though the stress of a divorce or irresponsible behavior by one or both parties during the divorce could lead to events that would generate negative credit history.

There appear to be quite a few apartments that cater to people with poor credit, though they generally won't be desirable places to live. That's the general trend for any city in America though. As a general principal, if the rent is cheap you may have found a place that caters to renters with poor credit history but you still need to find out what their requirements are prior to giving them money.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfun View Post
I see some random ads that say they will look past a bad credit score and look at your rental history.

I know while renting in Denver, some places required that you made 4x the rent as your income. Which I thought was a bit extreme.

Maybe to save on your application fee, you can tell them your credit score/rental history/income level outright and ask if you should even bother applying?

Hopefully someone here will know a place. There is also renting directly from owners but I don't know how reliable that is and you have to weed through scams on Craigslist.
Renting directly from owners results in much higher required credit standards because they don't have the same systems in place for processing several irresponsible renters through the court system to extract the money they are owed. Individual owners instead will insist on higher credit scores and people that are easy to handle.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,805 times
While my credit isn't bad, I've been burned several times by property managers and their application fees. Most notably, putting $250 into various application fees and never hearing a word back or getting anyone to return my calls.

It's funny, I know there are scammers all over craigslist but I have had the best luck with it. The property managers are the ones that have scammed me and others I know.

I rent directly from the owner of my duplex. There was an application but no fee. No credit check, just employment verification and rental reference check. Easy as pie and it's a decent place on the west side in a quiet neighborhood.

There are options out there. You just have to stay on top of the market and move fast. Just beware of property managers...

Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 PM
g89

126 posts, read 179,713 times
reminder of reasons not to get married

Old 11-15-2015, 11:05 AM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I have absolutely never lost a single dime to a failed application. How does a looming layoff impact your
There appear to be quite a few apartments that cater to people with poor credit, though they generally won't be desirable places to live. That's the general trend for any city in America though. As a general principal, if the rent is cheap you may have found a place that caters to renters with poor credit history but you still need to find out what their requirements are prior to giving them money.
Maybe look outside The Springs and look at Pueblo? Although that may not help much because it seems as if the "slummier" and cheaper the apartments are, the MORE they check you out.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:06 AM

457 posts, read 645,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Renting directly from owners results in much higher required credit standards because they don't have the same systems in place for processing several irresponsible renters through the court system to extract the money they are owed. Individual owners instead will insist on higher credit scores and people that are easy to handle.
Well, that explains Pueblo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs