Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSpringsBound View Post
After an exhausting solo road trip from New York, I've finally arrived at my new home in the Springs!

Some things I've observed so far:

1. The mountains are GLORIOUS, especially with the wet season bringing the greens. I love the diversity of the terrain where I can drive east and feel like I'm in Kansas, drive west and see the huge mountain wall. I love how every odd turn I make has me staring right at Pike's Peak. It really breaks up the monotony of routine driving. I know there have been complaints about it being too barren or brown, but I've noticed that changes when you drive to Woodland Park and view the mountains from an eastern vantage point.
It does get greener when you go into the mountains but unfortunately, I don't want to live in the mountains. In contrast, my brother lives in Lakewood, up by Denver, and it's much less barren there without having to go into the mountains (it's called Lakewood for a reason, lol - there's more bodies of water and that means plusher, greener landscapes). My main issue is the lack of water/ocean. I'm from Philly which is of course about a 2 hour drive to the Jersey Shore. I REALLY miss this. Even when I lived in England, we lived in a building next to the historic ship canals. I've always said that I feel like I was meant to live near water - I just crave being near it. And now I practically live in a desert, lol.

Quote:
2. Traffic is about all I could hope for considering it's a city. I've purposely driven in rush hour traffic several times and can't tell you what a HUGE relief it is to still be able to get places even in heavy traffic. Just for some perspective, prior to my move I had to take one of my luggages to a repair store 15 miles away during an early afternoon near the border of Queens. It took me two and a half hours, EACH way. Five hours of my life lost just to drop off a @&*$ suitcase. I actually had them ship the luggage back to me because there was no way I was going to do that again. Had I done that in rush hour, it likely would have padded 2 MORE hours to the total trip time.

Now, I live near downtown, and driving roughly the same distance from there to Briargate during rush hour took me about 40 minutes. WINNAH!
Agreed - even in comparison to the Philly sprawling suburbs where rush hour can be a pain, the traffic here is practically non-existent.

Quote:
3. Downtown is awesome BTW, despite the lack of towering skyscrapers, I find it's just a right balance of urban amenities without being overwhelmed with an unholy mass of stinky, stinky humanity. I stopped by the post office one morning, got coffee, took a walk passing all the boutique shops and wondered where the hell everyone was. It was GLORIOUS. For introverts particularly, this is like heaven.
Yeah, I think downtown has more of a "town" feel than a "city" feel.

Quote:
4. I know it's been raining a lot,
Having recently lived in England... it has not been raining a lot here, lol.

Quote:
6. Everything is so clean, especially the supermarkets. I've been to the southeast portion of the Springs, shopping there and in the Briargate region, and honestly the difference is so minute that it would be a mistake (and insult) to call the SE area ghetto. I've SEEN ghetto, trust me, this isn't it. Less affluent and more rough around the edges, maybe, but not ghetto.
Agreed, but it's still not an area I'd like to live in.

Quote:
8. I'm learning to master the fine art of swerving around potholes while still staying in lane. It's as bad as I expected, but I'm learning to quickly rely on muscle memory to swing and swerve around the worst of them as I explore my way around town.
It's strange because my husband and I moved here in August and the roads were fine, no major potholes and it didn't even look like there was a lot of patchwork. But the roads seemed to really take a beating this winter and they still haven't patched up many of the holes. I now joke that the roads here could revival Pennsylvania roads! You know you're in Pennsylvania when it's easier to drive in the snow because the snow fills up the potholes.

Quote:
9. People are generally much nicer and more outgoing. I found I actually had to stop, turn around and walk back to someone who greeted me or wish me a good day because I'm just not used to it.
I'm amazed by how friendly people are, in general. Still can't quite get used to it.

Quote:
12. Most people's dogs here are well behaved, so much that it's become noticeable. It's odd to run across so many dogs that don't incessantly bark their heads off like I experienced in New York.
I think this is such an outdoorsy place and very dog friendly that most dogs get a lot more outdoor time to expend their energy and don't wind up with pent up energy and therefore, frustration. I met a chocolate lab the other day who was so laid back and calm, I thought he must have been an older dog. Nope - two years old. Still practically a puppy, and in my experience, chocolate labs have the highest energy levels of all lab colors. But this dog's owner was very outdoorsy and took him with her everywhere, so I imagine the dog was able to get out and exhaust himself everyday.

Quote:
14. The sun REALLY beats down on you here. I was surprised that it wasn't the thin air I had to acclimate so much as the sun's rays lighting you up like a BBQ. I'll definitely need to get some SPF factor gear. Even when the temps are low you just don't feel it as the warmth of the sun mitigates it.
Yeah I joke that the sun is stronger here because we're closer to it, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 12:19 PM

274 posts, read 339,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Welcome to Colorado! We're not much for horn honking around here, maybe a light tap if the guy ahead of you is zoned out when the light turns green. In fact, I believe you aren't supposed to use your horn in Colorado unless it's an emergency or there's an imminent accident.

And yes, the mountains are glorious!
Interesting to know about the car horns! Works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
Downtown is indeed awesome. If you want to grab coffee at Fifty Fifty or the Wild Goose sometime, PM me

Regarding driving slow, just stay out of the left lane and you won't have to get killed. kthx
I think it was Bella's Bakery and Bistro where I got a delicious frap, practically a work of art. Good place to stop when you need to drop something off at the UPS store next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Welcome to town! Yes, the sun is really brutal at this time of year. Long pants and sleeves or sunscreen if you need to be out in the sun, and you might want to time activities for early or late in the day. When you get out on the trails, bring plenty of water (for the dog, too).
Once I stop going crazy furnishing my place I'll definitely need to get going finding some decent clothes with SPF factor. I do find the advice of not going out except early morning or late evenings works well. Evenings here are so breezy and pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I thought they were to change the lights when/wherever they're not on a set timer - at intersections with those cameras, they seem to stay red or green (depending on direction) until a car pulls up into the camera view, leading to a light change.
Thank God that's all it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Colorado Springs is such a beautiful city. I got lucky, I had a top floor apartment, and I had an awesome view of Pikes Peak. Loved being able to wake up and look out my window and see the mountains. When I first moved there, I got lost getting around and I just remember, get towards the mountain and that will get you back home. Nice to have a landmark like that to help, learning a new city! Sounds like you are enjoying your first day, here!
I didn't get as lucky, but my balcony has a nice view of the plains with part of the mountains jutting in. I'm hoping an apartment facing Pikes Peak will open up here in the future as Ill gladly pay the transfer fee to get the views they enjoy. :P

Old 06-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It does get greener when you go into the mountains but unfortunately, I don't want to live in the mountains. In contrast, my brother lives in Lakewood, up by Denver, and it's much less barren there without having to go into the mountains (it's called Lakewood for a reason, lol - there's more bodies of water and that means plusher, greener landscapes). My main issue is the lack of water/ocean. I'm from Philly which is of course about a 2 hour drive to the Jersey Shore. I REALLY miss this. Even when I lived in England, we lived in a building next to the historic ship canals. I've always said that I feel like I was meant to live near water - I just crave being near it. And now I practically live in a desert, lol.
I kind of miss the beach too just for the sheer variety of landscape and having a little something for everyone. But I don't miss it THAT much. :P

I find the plusher, greener landscapes comes with it lots of bugs, so it's a tradeoff for me. I'd rather deal with some brown so I'm not mercilessly attacked by flies and bugs when i just want to take a nice walk on the trails. I used to live in an area with the highest incidences of lyme diseases and deer ticks in the country, and that plus the overpopulation all but turned me into a reclusive homebody. I'm trying to change that now.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSpringsBound View Post
...I think it was Bella's Bakery and Bistro where I got a delicious frap, practically a work of art. Good place to stop when you need to drop something off at the UPS store next door. ...
Bella makes an awesome deli sandwich, big enough for two people. On Bijou just before reaching Cascade.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:02 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Congrats on your move.

Just FYI. The Colorado way is to make eye contact, smile and say hello to pretty much everyone but especially if you are out on the trail or walking your dog. If you don't do these things then people automatically know your from outside the area. You'll want to adopt the habit too if you want to fit in.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Congrats on your move.

Just FYI. The Colorado way is to make eye contact, smile and say hello to pretty much everyone but especially if you are out on the trail or walking your dog. If you don't do these things then people automatically know your from outside the area. You'll want to adopt the habit too if you want to fit in.
To add to that - if you are on lonely country roads even seconds out of town or any dirt road anywhere, the same applies - you 'tip your hat' to the other driver if you pass coming the opposite direction.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Congrats on your move.

And if that wasn't a clear tell, the perpetual "who farted??" expression on my face probably is.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 PM

400 posts, read 498,459 times
Watch out for the statue in the middle of S. Nevada! �� Welcome to town!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
Watch out for the statue in the middle of S. Nevada! �� Welcome to town!
Truth. I think it's General Palmer (depicted).

To OP, if you don't already have a dog, we have some great charities here with dogs that need to be rescued. Check them out.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Truth. I think it's General Palmer (depicted).

To OP, if you don't already have a dog, we have some great charities here with dogs that need to be rescued. Check them out.
I was supposed to get a dog, but the breeder is completely wigging out on me that I don't think it's going to work out there. What are the names of the charities, as I'd like to check them out when I have more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs