Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:46 PM

73 posts, read 187,160 times

Advertisements

Curious what some may remember of the last El Nino winter Season, I think was 2007? Black outs or many snowed in days? What to prepare for....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 07:12 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
Could be some good snow fall - but I think with Colorado weather a wait and see approach is called for.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:04 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Article today on "Heat Records Shatters as a Monster El Niño Gathers Strength" This year's event has edged out 1997-98 for high temperature, per a chart in the article.

Excerpt: "Last month was the hottest October in 136 years of data, according to U.S. figures released Wednesday, making it the eighth record-breaking month so far in this record-breaking year. This week the El Niño weather pattern started setting records of its own, with some of the warmest weekly temperatures ever seen across swaths of the equatorial Pacific. ... El Niño has already triggered powerful typhoons, spoiled cocoa harvests in Africa, and contributed to vast fires in Indonesia. The effects are just getting started, and this El Niño may carry on through late spring or early summer, according to the U.S. Climate Prediction Center."

NOAA's El Niño Portal

El Niño Diagnostic Discussion

The Christian Science Monitor reports that yesterday's blizzard was fueled by El Niño.
Excerpt: "Skiers rejoice, but Denver travelers are grumbling — or stuck at home — as a storm dumps up to 20 inches of snow. Meteorologists say it's just the first taste of a record-setting El Niño."

Locally, October here was warmer as we watered and mowed later into the month than before.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,325,371 times
The October 1997 blizzard was a record for Colorado Springs.

I had 10 feet of snow in my driveway and the dog escaped by walking over the fence.

Let's see if this El Nino year is a repeat.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 PM

730 posts, read 769,852 times
Curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on this for the upcoming months. Since we are new up here some of the locals have mentioned this December was snowier than others. I keep hearing March and April are the true snow months. Does anyone think we will get walloped this year? I'm sure to me any amount of snow is going to be a lot coming from Albuquerque. Our street in Gleneagle is still snow packed and on of my CS friends said "yeah you won't see your street until June". I laughed about that but now I'm wondering....

Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
One never knows. El Nino years are typically a little wetter and warmer for us than other years. March and April we typically get some nice wet snows that amount to more precipitation than dry snows of the winter. But that doesn't mean it snows every day. There is no evidence in forecasts, etc., of us getting walloped this year but all it takes is one good storm which could happen at any time. Where you moved to is obviously one of the snowier areas along the Front Range at "low" elevation, and treed, so your snow will take longer to go than just about anywhere else.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:14 PM

178 posts, read 173,410 times
I am also curious what will happen this March/April. Last year was disappointing with the snowstorm on 2-22 that was built up by the news - only to end up dropping about 5 inches of snow. I am even more curious about the upcoming monsoon/thunderstorm season, however. It will probably be nowhere near as severe as the last thunderstorm season, which I think was El Nino for Colorado Springs. I have a feeling we will have a very mild monsoon season, but hopefully I am wrong. The last few years have seen the true monsoon season in May-June, at least in the Northern end of Springs. This has been a very unusual pattern, and I'm curious to see if it persists.

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 01-24-2016 at 11:30 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,221 times
Brian Bledsoe says there is a strengthening La Nina, which results in severe drought... for this summer into next year.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:46 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
I feel like we could have had some big snows last year if they fell at a less warm time. We had a lot of snow, it just melted as it was landing. Historical records point to april/may as the months that exceptional precipitation can occur in.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 PM

178 posts, read 173,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Brian Bledsoe says there is a strengthening La Nina, which results in severe drought... for this summer into next year.
That is what I was thinking (not that I'm a climatologist or anything, but this is just based on what I have observed). I think a lot of people who are expecting El Nino will be disappointed, because we already had it last Spring/Summer. I would not be surprised if this season ended up completely dry. Oh well, at least sales will be up for Air Conditioning.

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 01-25-2016 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs