Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,292 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the area due to the military. We can not afford a very expensive house, but would still like to buy instead of rent. We've found a few houses in the neighborhoods along S. Academy (particularly in Sierra Springs) that are really nice and seem like a decent neighborhood. But I've heard that it's a really bad part of town. We have a toddler and dog and would love to go on walks during the day and small walks at night (but we'd stay within the housing neighborhood). Any help would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,948,705 times
How much can you afford to spend?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,292 times
We are looking for around 200k for a decent, newer home.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,948,705 times
That should be fine in my opinion there aren't any particularly bad areas at all in the springs. There exist some dodgy apartment complexes but thats about it. The springs is great for military families and the area you are looking at is good. Of course I would look downtown as well it would be a shorter commute for your husband if he works at Fort Carson and there exists affordable houses in practically every neighborhood in the springs. Good luck and happy house hunting.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 AM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
If Fort Carson is the duty station, by all means look in Fountain, CO which has a good number of Army families.

Search realty sites on zip code 80817. In the local MLS service ( Colorado Springs Real Estate - Official MLS Listings - PPAR.com ) I just found 31 SFHs priced from $175k to $210k. Bound to be something there for you. I searched on an upper limit of $210k as you often can offer less than the listing price and get it for the lesser amount. Talk to your realtor about what you can afford, especially now while rates are low and may go up if the government raises the FED Funds Rate later this month.

I'd avoid S. Academy, parts of it are known for some criminal activity, some of it's a run down area and may soon see a lot of redevelopment work. Fountain is nice, is in School District 8 (aka D8) which is a very good district for the toddler to attend someday.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:37 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,545,197 times
Sierra Springs is new, but the surrounding neighborhood is on the iffy side. I don't think any neighborhood is truly bad in Colorado Springs, but that general area is not one of our best. It's just that the school district isn't the top-rated. That doesn't mean a good education cannot be had there, but you might want to visit the schools and see what you think if that matters. For your money, you might find something nicer in Security/Widefield/Fountain if you haven't looked there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs