Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:38 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I grew up in the Denver Metro Area, and will be buying a home in Colorado Springs shortly. He'll be working from home and driving to Denver once a week. We will start making offers this weekend if there is anything we would like, but are really hoping to close on something by January 1st as I am due with our second child in March.

But, upon researching school districts and recreational opportunities, I am having some doubts as to where we should focus our search.

1. I see that District 20 has ½ day kindergarten with an option to pay for full day. I also see that District 11 has full day kindergarten at no cost, but I cannot tell if there is a ½ day option. Is this correct or does anyone know if there is a ½ day option as well?

2. I don't see any county/city operated recreation centers. For example, Jefferson county has several pools that offer swimming lessons, as does Aurora, Thornton, etc. Is this not really a thing in Colorado Springs or El Paso county? I see that the Widefield/Security area does have one, but that is probably too far for us and the schools don't seem great. Is the YMCA our best option for affordable swimming lessons/sports/etc?

3. I see that District 20 also offers pre kindergarten for residents who will be going to the neighborhood schools the next year, for a fee. I don't see that District 11 offers this unless it is for children in one of the head start type programs. Is this correct? Also, any recommendations for pre kindergarten?

4. Being due with #2 in March, we will have to transfer my care pretty late in the pregnancy. After looking at hospitals the maternity center at Penrose seemed like a better choice for us. Any experience good or bad here? Is there any reason I should consider the other hospital instead? I was also hoping to use Academy Women's Healthcare Center since it appears that they are connected. Any opinions on this practice? I know I should probably call soon and see how late I can transfer care.

5. Anything else that we should be aware of or consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:05 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
D11 has preschool but I don't know the details - Preschool

I think it is full day kindergarten only - free - but I don't know if there are any 1/2 day options in D11.

I think there are a few city community centers - https://coloradosprings.gov/parks-re...munity-centers but I think swimming was allocated out to be run by the YMCA if I recall... Anyway here is a list of public pools - List: Public swimming pools (and a beach) in Colorado Springs | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

There is a big youth sports program. https://coloradosprings.gov/parks-re...e/youth-sports

Widefield schools are just fine, and the Park and Rec situation there is pretty cool.

I think most people seem to prefer Penrose hospital for insurance reasons but I think either one offers good care.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
D11 has preschool but I don't know the details - Preschool

There is a big youth sports program. https://coloradosprings.gov/parks-re...e/youth-sports
Thanks for pointing the sports out - I was looking at the YMCA page and assumed that this was where people did that too. This looks like more of what I was thinking.

Does anyone here frequent the YMCA for their children's swimming or other activities? Is it worth the membership cost?

From what I can find on the preschool program it is only for children with low income/risk factors/disabilities through the Colorado Preschool Program or other special program - which is fine, but I do like the idea of having our children do 2 days a week at the school they will attend K at the year prior. That combined with mandatory full day kindergarten (and the more Northern aspect) makes me think we'd be better off looking in D20 - but in our price range there are so many more options in District 11.

*eta - I also see that D20 has a set fee for school supplies and then they buy them for the classes. This sounds great, but does anyone have any experience or issues with this?

Last edited by abcdefg567; 11-02-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 09:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
otowi covered the key points of your questions.

YMCA is very popular here because of the price/benefit factor, but it isn't the only thing in town. I'd also add that we have a lot of local private clubs with a variety of ammenities and price points. We also have a growing sports clubs segment as well. Do web searches for you favorite sports to find specific clubs.

CU Health has taken over the Memorial Hospital system so it is seeing a significant influx of money and attention. Even before that, they were on a good improvement trajectory and provided great natal care.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
I went with Academy Women's Healthcare and frankly was disappointed. Hindsight is 20/20 but my daughter was four weeks early and I should have been on bedrest/ high risk with my son (it was treated as a normal pregnancy), and he was born five weeks early with pneumonia. He was airlifted to St. Luke's up in Denver and was in the NICU for two weeks as he fought the pneumonia. It has been 9 years since that experience, but I was not happy.

The hospital I delivered at no longer exists as the community hospital (Penrose Community)

Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM

730 posts, read 769,459 times
Hi abcdefg,
We just moved here this past Feb. my kids are in D-20. One is in elementary and one is in mid school. I LOVE that they buy the supplies. It is awesome! No bickering with kiddos about color, style etc. the supplies are great quality too. Mid schoolers buy their own supplies. Never had a kid in Kindergarten here so I can't answer that question but I do see pre-k at our school. I really, really love our school but I also have a special needs kiddo and they do a great job there.

We don't do YMCA but from what I've seen the one in Monument looks pretty amazing.

Can't help on medical. We go up to Denver for my kids needs.

Best of luck. We love it here!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
My daughter took lessons from the YMCA for several years and I have no complaints, she had fun and learned a lot.

D49 also offers free full day kindergarten and some schools have 1/2 day kindergarten options, you would need to take a look at the individual schools to see which ones do. There is also preschool, but I don't know if it is for special needs only.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:57 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post

2. I don't see any county/city operated recreation centers. For example, Jefferson county has several pools that offer swimming lessons, as does Aurora, Thornton, etc. Is this not really a thing in Colorado Springs or El Paso county? ...
As far as I know, there are not. But the YMCA's here are GREAT. I use the one in Briargate often. Very good equipment, 1 large and 1 small gym, an indoor track, 2 pools, lots of activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think most people seem to prefer Penrose hospital ... but I think either one offers good care.
The "old Penrose" is "downtown", but I have had several surgery experiences with the "new Penrose" (St. Francis), which more on the north end. I have always been impressed.

Not as impressed with Memorial or Memorial North, and Memorial downtown is a maze to find oyour way around. But, under UCCS I think it is improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post

Does anyone here frequent the YMCA for their children's swimming or other activities? Is it worth the membership cost?

Check your health insurance...I get a discount fro the Y through that.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-03-2016 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Merged 3:1

Old 11-03-2016, 04:01 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,823 times
My understanding is that the city partners with the YMCA for swimming programs.

The city does have its own ice rink, Sertich rink in Memorial Park, and runs a variety of recreational skating programs there (learn-to-skate, figure skating, hockey). The World Arena and the Monument rink have some learn-to-skate and recreational programs too, but they are more focused on competitive training.

https://coloradosprings.gov/parks-re...ich-ice-center

The county park system also runs some recreational programs for kids, e.g. at the Bear Creek Nature Center:

Bear Creek Nature Center

Old 11-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
My understanding is that the city partners with the YMCA for swimming programs.

The city does have its own ice rink, Sertich rink in Memorial Park, and runs a variety of recreational skating programs there (learn-to-skate, figure skating, hockey). The World Arena and the Monument rink have some learn-to-skate and recreational programs too, but they are more focused on competitive training.

https://coloradosprings.gov/parks-re...ich-ice-center

The county park system also runs some recreational programs for kids, e.g. at the Bear Creek Nature Center:

Bear Creek Nature Center
That's great to know! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs