Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:04 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,894 times

Advertisements

Hey all! currently using comcast and they are charging me $70 for 40mbps connection.

im thinking of doing century link for $40 on 20mbps.

how do you like century links internet? has it been stable? do you have connection 99% of the time? on top of that, comcast hasnt been very stable for me and randomly get slowdown speeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:07 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I've used Century Link DSL over copper for about 10 years. I signed up for 40 mb/s and I usually measure about 25 down/ 4 up speed on the wireless connection between my laptop and the modem. I think that's amazing speed delivered to the modem by a copper twisted pair.

Your speed will depend on how close your house is to their fiber optic hub in your neighborhood; mine is fairly close. I think their web site will give you an estimate.

As for reliability, it is excellent. It rarely goes down and when it does, I just re-boot the modem. That always works.

When I quit Comcast, they specified 10 mb/s and I was getting as little as 256 kb/s. Their tech could not fix it. Their customer service was beyond awful. In my neighborhood, Comcast delivers their signal on a co-axial RG-6 cable loop that includes many of the neighbors. That means your speed may vary as a function of what your neighbors are doing.

Comcast my have more modern capabilities in your neighborhood, but the thought of even making a call to them makes me nauseous.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:22 AM

58 posts, read 75,495 times
Ditto about being close to the hub. I initially had CenturyLink and the tech told me the most I could expect was 7mb/s. Usually I had under 1mb/s. Switched to xfinity promptly.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:59 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
I have Century Link and am very happy with it. No issues really. My neighbor has comcast along with a land line and she pays more than I do and in the few months she has lived here, she has had nothing but continuous problems. I have not heard one good thing about comcast in years either.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:50 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
I think Comcast has been getting better and have had no problems with them in recent years. But I definitely recommend going in person to one of their service centers for service rather than on the phone - the phone system is terrible.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
I like to complain about Comcast/Xfinity - because I hate monopolies. That said, I agree with otowi that their customer service is getting better (but it can be hit or miss). Some reps are just better than others.

I have to have high-speed because I work from home and send and receive very large files on a regular basis ... DSL doesn't cut it for me. It can really depend on what you need to do, and if you have the patience for slower speeds.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 AM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
I'd been using Rise Broadband wireless for several years, but this past summer their service went totally kaput for me and they were unable to fix it, so I switched to CenturyLink. It's been OK. The main problem I've had is that my modem sometimes resets itself in the middle of the night. I have persistent connections (ssh tunnels) open to remote machines for my job, so I notice when I get disconnected. I'm paying for 12Mbps service, but I just checked it with speedtest.net and got 17.64 down/ 0.55 up. So it's plenty adequate for streaming video and downloading large files, but pretty slow for upload.

Comcast does not serve my neighborhood, so the only other option for me is a cell phone hotspot; that's fine if all you do is read e-mail and some light web browsing, but not cost-effective for video.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:25 AM

268 posts, read 344,953 times
Just got CL 40/5 in Briargate (near Research/Austin Bluffs). I was very happy w/ Infinity 10 mb speeds for $29.99 but the promo ended and they would not renew it. With CL they at least have me at $29.99 for a year so I tried it.

I get maybe 5 mb down on a consistant basis- I have only seen above 10 mb a few times on speedtest.net. I have my own new modem so that is not the issue, just very poor speeds in my area of town.

I would go back to Infinity in a heartbeat!

Old 11-29-2016, 04:08 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
FWIW, I have it in Mountain Shadows. Been waiting for years to get the 40mb service. The bandwidth fluctuates from hour-to-hour. For example, one day we can watch Netflix and have it load, no problem. Day two, it cuts out during a program. The next day, it won't connect at all.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:10 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
FWIW, I have it in Mountain Shadows. Been waiting for years to get the 40mb service. The bandwidth fluctuates from hour-to-hour. For example, one day we can watch Netflix and have it load, no problem. Day two, it cuts out during a program. The next day, it won't connect at all.
Wow, that's disappointing. I can say with Comcast for the past several years I haven't had to worry about Netflix not working (same for other streaming video).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs