Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:55 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,885,131 times

Advertisements

To bad, Colorado Springs doesn't still have a weak mayor form of government these days.

John Suthers is certainly the worst mayor the city of Colorado Springs has ever had.

He was a terrible district attorney and is a terrible mayor also.

Glad, I don't live in Colorado Springs in 2017. The peaceful, vibrant, safe city of the late 1990s has turned into an transient, rude, unsafe strip-mall with bad infrastructure today.

Never thought the beautiful, scenic of Colorado Springs would turn into what it has and really has gotten much worse with Suthers.

The mayor only seems to like tourism and hospitality jobs. I guess he really wants to kiss good jobs good-bye.

Excessive housing and apartment prices that far beyond what has ever been the case in Colorado Springs with good jobs tanking in the city as the mayor looks the other way.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain...prings_msa.htm

Not only that but certain crime rates are surging in Colorado Springs.

Higher homicide rate in Colorado Springs so far this year, then Los Angeles and Denver.

The amount of retail robberies in the city is also quite amazing, then again sadly there is a massive mental health crisis in the Pikes Peak Region with very high suicide and illicit drug use rates.

Then again there is a huge shortage of cops to patrol the city thanks to John Suthers. Some police even say the CSPD is a mess.

Maketa was a much better public servant then Pete Carey. At least Maketa was aggressive and dedicated even if he was a little corrupt.

Not to mention, in Omaha the cop cars are beautiful, brand new, elegant, huge Caprices compared to those ten year old Dodge Charger the mayor has the CSPD driving around town with.

Colorado Springs has much, much higher local option sales taxes then Omaha so I wonder how the all the local option sales tax money is being spent by Mayor Suthers and the city council.

UPDATE: CSPD cop's letter says department is a mess | The Wire

It is very sad how the quality of life has plummeted in Colorado Springs since the days of Bob Issac and Mary Lou Makepeace. They were class acts and really did all they could to make Colorado Springs a great city.

Colorado Springs now has a mayor who is well past his prime with no energy. He always looks so pale and sometimes I wonder why he just doesn't step down and worry about his health.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 05-20-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM

7,230 posts, read 9,395,296 times
LC: You need treatment for your depression.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
LC: You need treatment for your depression.
Your free to have your opinion.

Seems like Colorado Springs needs treatment in the form of a new mayor and city council next time around for it's economic depression when it comes to the information and manufacturing sector of the Springs economy.

I will say it is rather interesting, how Colorado Springs seems be going down-hill at amazing speed since about 2000.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain...prings_msa.htm

24,600 manufacturing jobs in 1998, compared to 11,300 today!

14,100 information jobs in 2001, compared to just 5,800 today!

Colorado Springs and John Suthers are really trying to diversify the economy away from government jobs and into restaurants, bars, retail and hotels!

Always, interestingly to see the number of good jobs Colorado Springs can lose. Nothing like the city it was in 2000, even if it was much smaller then.

Colorado Springs is doing what many other cities do under similar circumstances, where the city leadership just ignores problems as they arise.

I just think it is rather bizzare that Colorado Springs now has higher homicide rates then Denver and Los Angeles.

Why is Suthers allowing the police chief to keep his job? I mean in the private sector people are required to abide by a metric based performance. Obviously, the metrics in regards the police chief's performance are so bad that a good mayor would already have terminated the police chiefs employment.

Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins are better then they ever have been. Thanks, to being lead by visionary leaders.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM

208 posts, read 306,584 times
For someone who doesn't live here, why does it seem your mission to spread as much negatively around here as possible?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
For someone who doesn't live here, why does it seem your mission to spread as much negatively around here as possible?
I don't live there, visit often.

Born in Colorado Springs, mostly grew up there and relatives that have lived in El Paso County since 1910.

I love Colorado Springs for it's lush summer scenery, scenic views and open-space thanks to the voters who voted for open-space. But the city run terribly and honestly there seems to be very little vision.

Much better city when Bob Issac and Mary Lou Makepeace were mayor's but not the strong form they have now. Lionel Rivera was not a very good mayor but then again they still had the weak form of government.

Bach was obviously the developers choice but he was still a good mayor. Ever since John Suther's was elected things really have gone downhill for the city.

The only reason why Suther's was elected is because he has been a career politician in Colorado for decades. Seems like he has always done a terrible job at every job he ever had, yet the people of Colorado Springs voted for him just because they recognize the name on a ballot.

Such nice topography, views and lots of good weather even compared to other Front Range cities. Sadly, the city is self-destructive and squanders so much.

It has an excellent library system thanks to the fact the library has it's own board and John Suther's can't ruin the great libraries in the Pikes Peak Region.

The city is run terribly and getting worse. Used to be complaints were mainly about infrastructure and litter in parks.

Now, it has a big, big city crime rate. Homicide rate that is higher then Los Angeles and Denver now. With no solutions, no talk about beefing up patrols. From watching it, the city just chooses to ignore the amount of crime.

They also have a cyclical economy that only has the stable government sector.

I remember when they had established retailers and restaurants in downtown Colorado Springs.

Now, the downtown is mainly in my personal seedy clubs that have many problems related to them. The homeless population has skyrocketed in downtown Colorado Springs since it is now a high-rent city despite the fact so many good jobs have left.

I really don't have a mission to spread negativity. I just personally think the city has gone way down-hill in recent years.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 PM

6,832 posts, read 10,573,929 times
There are several things going well in Colorado Springs right now, and some things that could be improved. I don't know how many of either could be claimed by or blamed on the mayor.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 PM

598 posts, read 1,550,226 times
I've been here for 12 years now...and absolutely love it here. Is it perfect, no. But it's an amazing place to live for so many reasons. Thanks though for helping to keep everyone else away... lol

Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 PM

432 posts, read 1,205,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Bach was obviously the developers choice but he was still a good mayor.
I pretty much quit reading after that assertion.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:36 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,420,568 times
Bellevue, huh. Tired of Glendale already? Are you still unable to find employment in Cos, so we have again become the target of your vitriol?

To your own point, you've put up several posts of opinions in this topic that you hold out as fact with cherry picked government statistics to support your opinions. Seems to be your SOP. Its old. Let it go.

According to the FBI Uniform Crime report, Cos is enjoying a lower violent crime rate per 100k now than it did all through the 90s you are so found of referring to. Yes, there are some crimes that appear to be up now, but it is due to the fact that things have been trending down since, ready for this, 1998.

I'd also point out that now, unlike the 90s, more people are employed in more categories of jobs with a lower overall unemployment rate. Not sure why you always zero in on IT and Manufacturing while other segments have seen steady increases as well as a host new positions and companies that didn't exist 10 years ago never mind 20. The Cos MSA has jumped from 400k to nearly 700k since the 90s. Not all those people work in Denver or for the military.

I also seem to recall hearing from several different agencies that opioid addiction is a national issue, not one isolated to Cos.

By your own admission, you aren't a fan of Cos and you don't see why anyone would want to stay here. I seem to recall seeing these statements from you over the past year. You seem to always drop in and drop a few opinions that you hold out as gospel due to your own innate confirmation biases against a place you continue to rail against. But your not spreading negativity. Uh Huh.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 PM

75 posts, read 107,665 times
Thank you for the updates, Lovecrowds. Ignore the haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs