Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 810,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Lets just say our current president has a poor grasp of spelling...
Well, he has a poor grasp of just about everything, so why would spelling be any different?

Thanks, I refuse to watch any news about him, so I was not aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Or he had a poor grasp on his cell phone when he fell asleep mid-tweet last Tuesday night. The easiest way to explain is just to let you Google "covfefe" for yourself and draw your own conclusions.
TY for that...it was much more to google it. Wired, had some funny stuff!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:19 AM

75 posts, read 107,304 times
I wanted to add an update...

My first post was a little negative, but I've come to change my mind on a lot of things. Hopefully the old timers won't be TOO mad at me for it. Look on the bright side: maybe I scared off some newcomers. We don't want to be growing TOO much.

Roads aren't THAT bad and they are improving them.

City has a lot of water resources despite somewhat arid environment, and city does a great job of collecting and managing the water.

I like that Colo Springs Utilities handles everything and is non-profit. The lady suing the downtown power plant is way off her rocker, besides, they are slowly de-commissioning it.

The scenery is TRULY BEAUTIFUL. And so far the weather is great.

There are a lot of young people -- which is nice in a city known for its retirees. Good to have a mix.

The Downtown has a lot to offer.

It's amazing how EASY it is to get around this city. It does not take long to get anywhere! Traffic CAN get bad, but not that bad.

Doesn't take long to get to Denver at all.

Three Whole Foods are here and one Trader Joe's. That's good.

At least ONE of the Taco Bell's here still has the old original green sauce (not in packets, but on request). Most of the country's other stores have gotten rid of it.

It's amazing the amount of OLD VICTORIAN HOMES here. Incredible. Many restored in Downtown and Old Colo.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:22 AM

75 posts, read 107,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
beautiful city ! everywhere people want to live is crowded. The thing I like about Colorado springs is that it has Wickans , Pagans , White witches , Republicans , Evangelicals, Born agains, Christian Radio stations , Goths, Weed heads, Bikers, motor heads and Military , lots of diversity ...
I've come to see it your way, and it's great. ^

Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Fan1 View Post
Roads aren't THAT bad and they are improving them.
True. Every pot hole repair I've called in has been done in 2 weeks. That's not too shabby. While a pain at the moment, all the repaving efforts are much appreciated by everyone.

Quote:
City has a lot of water resources despite somewhat arid environment, and city does a great job of collecting and managing the water.

I like that Colo Springs Utilities handles everything and is non-profit. The lady suing the downtown power plant is way off her rocker, besides, they are slowly de-commissioning it.
Water wise we are good to 2030, contingent upon growth rate. The City is actively working to improve that. I also agree that dealing with a single non-profit entity for utilities simplifies a lot of that headache and expense.

Quote:
The scenery is TRULY BEAUTIFUL. And so far the weather is great.
We are at least as good as Boulder and IMO, somewhat better with the range of scenery.

Quote:
There are a lot of young people -- which is nice in a city known for its retirees. Good to have a mix.
Depending on source, our 21-35 population is just over 10%. Our over 65 population is also just over 10%. Our under 21 population is under 10%. So that means 70% of the population is over 21 and under 65. Based on that, the perception that we're a retirement haven always surprises me. But then again, so does the perception that we are an evangelical headquarters. Yes we have some, but it isn't the core of our existence. I guess its just a phase that will eventually pass.

Quote:
The Downtown has a lot to offer.
Its nice. It could be better. It has a lot more nightclubs than I'd like, but it has grown a large number of new businesses and buildings in the last couple of decades as well. Once the Olympic museum, south gate project, and Drake decommission get rolling, it will be an entirely different place. Be sure to head down there June 23rd for the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Fanfest that proceeds the actual race. Its a chance for many of the teams from around the world to hang out and relax. You can see cars, meet drivers, watch a variety of demos and shop, eat, and drink all night long.

Quote:
It's amazing how EASY it is to get around this city. It does not take long to get anywhere! Traffic CAN get bad, but not that bad.
Its really isn't bad for being the most populous county in the state. We do lack not only a single, but several decent east/west cooridors, but at least Woodmen Rd is being updated for now. This too will improve in time.

Quote:
Doesn't take long to get to Denver at all.

Three Whole Foods are here and one Trader Joe's. That's good.
We will always be in the shadow of Denver and that creates some unique issues that we may never overcome. We will never be a regional hub because of that, but we can stand on our own merit for many things because we aren't Denver. Since we are not an amalgamation of unique municipalities, like the Denver metro, I'd like to see city and county leadership work more closely in creating a cohesive growth plan and architectural structure guidelines. That may never happen. Since the summer is coming soon, be sure to hit any of a different farmers markets throughout the city.

Quote:
At least ONE of the Taco Bell's here still has the old original green sauce (not in packets, but on request). Most of the country's other stores have gotten rid of it.
I had no idea. I always get the canned green sauce when i go there, which is rare these days, but I thought it was universal. Of course, getting green chili in Colorado is practically a requirement, so I'm not surprised TB continues with their green sauce here.

Quote:
It's amazing the amount of OLD VICTORIAN HOMES here. Incredible. Many restored in Downtown and Old Colo.
Yes, we have a lot of them. When these houses were new and being built beteen 1890 and 1910, Cos had more millionaires per capita than anyplace else in the country. That resulted in a lot of high quality construction from that era that has survived. On the flip side, almost all of the smaller, working class, more mundane Victorian era homes of Roswell, Papeton, Pikeview (former towns that are now neighborhoods) of lesser construction have almost all disappeared and been replaced by brick faced ranch homes, duplexes, or apartments.

Again, welcome to town.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
I wanted to add an update...

I didn't realize that was a rarity - every Taco Bell I've been to gets me green bean burritos!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 PM

We probably added another 5" to the water coffers this afternoon

I'm glad you're being a little more open minded & started to enjoy it a bit more. I don't love many aspects of living here, but all in all, the good beats out the bad, enough that we'll retire here.

I think it's gets the retirement rep just b/c so many military do retire here. But in general (haha) I don't think of it as a retirement town).

Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
We probably added another 5" to the water coffers this afternoon

I'm glad you're being a little more open minded & started to enjoy it a bit more. I don't love many aspects of living here, but all in all, the good beats out the bad, enough that we'll retire here.

I think it's gets the retirement rep just b/c so many military do retire here. But in general (haha) I don't think of it as a retirement town).
You got a lot of rain? We got only a brief sprinkle, but it sure did look threatening.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
You got a lot of rain? We got only a brief sprinkle, but it sure did look threatening.
Oh yeah! Huge amounts up near Cordera, Pine Creek, etc. I would guess 1 1/2" torrential downpour at my house, street flooding, hail, etc. Thankfully the hail was small, so I doubt any damage, but yeah, massive quantities of water. Not 5" though, I was being sarcastic with that part, but it lasted for the better part of an hour.

Of course that's typical CO, some of us get a drizzle or nothing & a few blocks away we get 2". Hopefully you get it tomorrow & we are spared!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 PM

472 posts, read 348,531 times
The nice thing about the COS is we get a monsoon and the afternoon showers keep things from getting too hot. Even if it doesn't rain, some days you get the cool outflow that helps keep things cool. I hope we have good rains this year! I like the storms though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs