Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,510 times

Advertisements

It does not give me a lot of confidence in state/county bureaucracy here given how hard it has been for me to get a driver's license. I have been to the office on Union now five times only to be told five different stories about what I need to bring as an out of state transfer. (returning native) I went back again today with every possible document they could ask for and was told the system was down. Well, any idea how long it will be and I get a smart aleck answer "if I knew that, I would tell you. It happens all the time." How hard is it, Coloradans, to run an efficient system and not like something operating in a third world country??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,888,247 times
It's been a long time since I've experienced such, as I've renewed mine using the website since it became available.

My wife did miss her renewal and had to go through the entire process again a few years ago. I will say, it takes stamina and a lot of time to deal with. I think DMV's across the country are notorious for being inefficient and horrific to deal with.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:36 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,370 times
I went today too! This morning I was told the system was down, and I waited till later this afternoon (fortunate in that I'm a teacher and am on summer break now). Went in and was out in a half hour. Sorry to hear you had so many issues.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
It does not give me a lot of confidence in state/county bureaucracy here given how hard it has been for me to get a driver's license. I have been to the office on Union now five times only to be told five different stories about what I need to bring as an out of state transfer. (returning native) I went back again today with every possible document they could ask for and was told the system was down. Well, any idea how long it will be and I get a smart aleck answer "if I knew that, I would tell you. It happens all the time." How hard is it, Coloradans, to run an efficient system and not like something operating in a third world country??
Gonna have to disagree with you here. My wife and I recently moved here from out of state. Found it easy and fairly quick process to get drivers licenses and cars registered. Went online and found all required documents then went to DMV office on Union and got things done. May have helped to be retired military. I.D.'s worked for several requirements.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:37 PM

461 posts, read 546,884 times
The Colorado DMV does remind me of a third world country. I've only had to go twice since moving here, and the people somewhat make up for the system's inadequacies, but yes it's comical after living in NY, CA and VA.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
The Colorado DMV does remind me of a third world country. I've only had to go twice since moving here, and the people somewhat make up for the system's inadequacies, but yes it's comical after living in NY, CA and VA.
I've only had a license in 3 states, California, Arizona, and Colorado. California DMV the worst by a wide margin.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:18 PM

730 posts, read 770,148 times
Try living in New Mexico. Colorado DMV is a Dream by comparison. But OP sorry you had a hard time.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:41 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
DMV here is a breeze compared to Texas. Took my wife 6+ hours to get her license when we first moved to Dallas, and the DPS (their version of the DMV) office was in a strip mall (go figure).

Old 06-03-2017, 08:17 AM

116 posts, read 124,601 times
I just moved here THIS week from out of state. I was in and out in about 45 minutes with my new Colorado DL. It was pretty smooth. I also went to the location on Union. I read the Colorado DMV website and per it I showed up with my current/valid out of state DL, physical/non-laminated social security card, and 2 forms to prove residency (a paper mortgage statement and I used my phone to login to CSU to show my utility bill). They gave me a quick eye test, charged my credit card, took my picture and done. Pretty straight forward.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,168,971 times
This is really useful in planning when you go - shows current wait times for various things at each of the offices.
http://qflow.elpasoco.com/qpdr2/gall...TAILS&UnitID=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs