Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 AM

730 posts, read 770,679 times

Advertisements

I want to wish all the CoS fathers a Happy Father's Day today! Thanks to all the dads out there that helped so much when I was researching this location when we were determining where to relocate our family.

In light of this family holiday, I thought I would post some great things my family has gotten to take advantage of since Moving to Colorado Springs.

Please feel free to add. I've added pictures I've taken as we've adventured.

1. Kid's fishing at Palmer and Monument Lakes. I believe kids under 16 don't need a license to fish. We went to Palmer lake last Friday and they caught 3 fish (use nightcrawlers-best bait).
Palmer Lake:

Monument Lake:

2. Overdrive raceway. Super fun indoor go karts. 2 tracks. The Upstairs track is more for adults, they have a bar there too. Snack bar downstairs for food. The owner is so nice and so good to special needs kids. My son even got to go for a ride in the Overdrive Lamborghini!

3. Cheyenne mountain zoo. A cool little zoo on the mountainside. You can even feed the giraffes lettuce. Be prepared to hike a bit uphill, it's on a slope.

4. 719 Rocks is a group of people that paint rocks and hide them all over the city for kids to find. You can even paint your own and hide them. One was hidden on the top of the manitou incline! 719 Rocks has a Facebook page where you can show off Rocks you are hiding or found.

5. Great wolf lodge for a mini stay-cation. We had a great time there on my oldest's birthday.

6. Fox run park- fun for hiking, having a picnic by the little ponds, going to a dog park, snow ball fight in the winter, or riding your horse along the trails.

I think there is a restaurant that is made out of an old Plane but we haven't gotten to that yet. Maybe someone can help with its name and location.

I'm know there is a lot more but it isn't always easy getting our son to leave the house.

Hope all you newbies get out there and enjoy all Colorado Springs has to offer families!

Last edited by DoodlemomCoS; 06-18-2017 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Edited to add photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM

7,194 posts, read 9,335,600 times
Here is another list

45 must-visit attractions in and around Colorado Springs | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,170,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
I think there is a restaurant that is made out of an old Plane but we haven't gotten to that yet. Maybe someone can help with its name and location.
The restaurant in a plane is near the airport - I have never been but I imagine kids would like it:
The Airplane Restaurant Colorado Springs Dining, Drinks, Catering

Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Uncle Wilbur Fountain and free yard games at Acacia Park, and ice skating there in winter.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
Pioneer Museum.
Bear Creek and Fountain Creek Nature Centers.
Public Library summer reading programs.
Disc Golf courses and playgrounds in various places around town.
Skate City
hiking in N. Cheyenne Canyon or Palmer Park or Garden of the Gods, etc.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:21 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,603,287 times
I never heard about the 719 rocks. Sounds cool!

Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 810,017 times
The 719 rocks sound a bit like geocaching. The Airplane Restaurant is at Powers & Fountain Blvd, on the south end by the airport (what a surprise). If you have kids be sure to ask to sit upstairs cuz much of the downstairs is like a regular restaurant (tho' with lots of airplane paraphernalia). Do not expect quality cuisine LOL. The kids will like it though & any airplane buff.

That is a gorgeous moody pic of Fox Run, not the kind of day we see often here!

Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,863,098 times
Kids (and adults) can have a pretty fun time at the penny arcade in Manitou Springs.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Kids (and adults) can have a pretty fun time at the penny arcade in Manitou Springs.
Yes, we spent a lot of time there playing the cheap arcade games, etc.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM

730 posts, read 770,679 times
These are great ideas! Thanks. We will try some of those!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:22 PM

I know a lot of kids like City Rock climbing center downtown as well, fyi. And every kid needs to see the May Museum - full of creepy crawlies - what a trip! - has not changed one iota since my parents were kids let alone when I was a kid. Rock Ledge Ranch has some cool stuff for kids at times. The Western Mining Museum has some fun things for kids sometimes too. The North Pole - haven't been there in years but still hear it is fun for kids.

Last edited by otowi; 06-18-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs