Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 PM

665 posts, read 1,294,779 times

Advertisements

Hello all, been awhile.

I'm buying a house in Knob Hill and would like to hear from anyone in the area. Seems very quiet but not without it's problems. Two nights in a row I sat outside the house and both nights watched an alcoholic/druggie walk into the same neighbors yard. Met the neighbor and she said she the neighborhood problem. I expect that sort of thing but a little bit but seems this lady is a bit much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:34 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
I would consider the area as one warranting some caution - if I were looking for a house for myself I think I'd be like you checking it out carefully at different times of day etc. I can't say I'm over in that area on a daily basis to see what is going on but Knob Hill has had a reputation for most of my 40 years as an area afflicted with the signs of poverty, drug, and transiency. I do not see an imminent come back, but maybe its day will come.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,415 times
There are some pockets of nicely kept homes but there are definitely some problem areas, of course crime can occur anywhere but Knob Hill can be a little sketchy. You can get on the Colorado Springs City website on the CSPD page and look at the crime maps to get an idea of the types of crimes in different neighborhoods.

Me personally, I would try to get west of Union Blvd. like Divine Reedemer or East End Addition neighborhoods you would still be central but better area however the homes do cost a bit more. Or further North like around Wasson high school, or Horace Mann Middle school, or the Bonnyville area.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Personally...it is not safe enough for me. You asked, sorry...but, there are precautions
a person can take....that one should take everywhere.

I had to move from the CC area because of safety...am I ever glad!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 AM

If you moved from the CC area because of crime thats a bit much. I live near there now and sure I've had a few incidents but this is hardly a high crime area.

Otowi, I know you've lived here a long time. Do you really not see it turning around eventually? I know it wouldn't happen fast, but I figured with the market they way it is and the city growing that areas closer to downtown had the potential to change.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
If you moved from the CC area because of crime thats a bit much. I live near there now and sure I've had a few incidents but this is hardly a high crime area.
Maybe it was that I was in a cottage for 6 years, behind the main house? I dunno....
-I was robbed,
-guest cars were robbed,
-had a constant peeping Tom, Tuesdays in the summer
at me screened bedroom window 6 ft away from me, jumping the bell-laced gate; the police called him the Pot Bellied Peeping Tom...they couldn't catch him for anything going on for years,

-Had a nutty drugged out lady pound on my door,
-had another drugged out Dentist that bugged me for rides when she couldn't remember where her car was even!
-Set down our bikes with a friend near Shucks Run and Platte as 2 vagrants sneaked over to steal them, but we stopped them,
-had creeps rummage thru my 2 trash cans i would catch and stop...whew....
-and I'm leaving out the details of midnight police at my place anxious to catch all these people!
-Had a toothless guy pretending to be looking for 'Bill', scouting out my place in the day and asking me
why i had a radio on in my (detached) garage all night..watching my place obviously...

I am still on a first name basis with 2 cops and a detective because they came to the rescue so many times taking reports from me...I see them around years later.
-I single handedly caught the gang that was breaking students rear car windows, unscrewing porch lights during the day to come in the night...and the courts had them pay me monthly for things stolen.

I don't think as a slender blonde alone it was too much to move to the Old North End.
And i am forgetting things!...
-the footprints in the snow around my house....
-the neighbor who wasn't paying his rent so would crawl out his window to my property...
-OH the guys at midnight climbing my 6 ft privacy fence as a short cut from CC parties...
The last 2 were severely bitten by the 2 dogs I eventually got with a doggie door...
-they broke a fence and I had the
hostess of the party fix it...she had heard about the guys that got bitten on my property, of course...
shorts walking across my lawn at midnight ...not good.

Knob Hill, Stratton Meadows? Downtown? Not for me...oh and i haven't told you about my friend on Willamette and Wahsatch! Oh brother!
I've been in CS 31 years this month, btw.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:28 AM

I would have loved to stay more Central or in OCC. I really tried. Got out bid once and two houses went under contract as I was on my way to view them. I looked at a few houses I my price range that needed a total makeover. So to get something in decent shape with the things I wanted I had to go outside my ideal area by about six blocks. The house I bid on in OCC was a block from the Midland trail. I see that as just as iffy as the area knob Hill I'm moving to.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I would have loved to stay more Central or in OCC. I really tried. Got out bid once and two houses went under contract as I was on my way to view them. I looked at a few houses I my price range that needed a total makeover. So to get something in decent shape with the things I wanted I had to go outside my ideal area by about six blocks. The house I bid on in OCC was a block from the Midland trail. I see that as just as iffy as the area knob Hill I'm moving to.
You'll be fine...just act wisely safety wise. Not a buyers market now, I know!!!
I'm thinking you're a guy...dunno why.

I got my place because i bid more than the asking price and others bid under, prob because there was work to do that didn't scare me...then added a 700 sq ft addition 2 years later....that will be an apt for my sister in the Spring...owning a house is great!
Congratulations...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 AM

I bid asking price with the understanding I could rebid but they never came backed and asked me. The house under contract I bid asking but was able to negotiate down after inspection. I really don't think I did much wrong, just the way things went.

And yes I'm a dude, and a bigger one at that. So I'm not easily scared, but I could do without problems. I also have dogs and will be installing cameras all over.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,086 times
If it's like most cities, you have to be one of those brave enough to turn the tide by buying in sketchy areas. I guess they call it gentrification these days. We moved into a sketchy area of San Antonio once because we loved old houses and gave up after a few years as the crime element was out of hand. Twenty years later, it still is. In other cities, the exact opposite has happened but they are more vital cities to start with. It's gamble but you won't know until you try. The Gazette had an article this am saying that CS (80903)is becoming a hipster haven whatever that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs