Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,449 times

Advertisements

I am a 49 yr. old disabled man, with 4 broken discs in my neck, 2 in my lower back, and a shattered heel, who has been close to over-dosed by doctors here in La., and was told, almost 3 Years Ago, to make a 'Choice'...either "Come in without ANY 'Illicit drugs'(T.H.C.) in your system, OR no more of your pain and anxiety medicine..." I, to her amazement, tore up the prescriptions, and threw them right in the trash. I haven't taken ANYTHING BUT T.H.C. SINCE! I have never felt better, but the uncertainty of availability (not to mention going to PRISON) and quality (not to mention PRICE), combined with the raising, AGAIN, of my lot rent, I am now in a position where I can no longer afford to live here. I used to work for the biggest commercial construction company in La., for over 10 years, and know construction from slab to finish, and am willing to move into something that needs medium to minor repairs, in exchange for rent, until I can get a place in 'Subsidized Housing'. My 'Better Half' is a waitress, and will be looking for work too, so we aren't looking for charity, just a CHANCE! I will be leaving my entire Family, but my 'home state' has turned into my 'own prison'. I have been to the area a few times, and simply LOVE it, and especially the people. I am also a Cajun cook, who has won MANY local cooking competitions, and would bring some real SPICE to any local eatery ( or possibly investment opp.). If you have rentals, I was also a in charge of maintaining a local hotel (Quality Inn), but was able to have a separate home. A 'live in' job would also be ideal. If anyone here can offer an opportunity or information, please HELP me get away from the stress and oppression of this miserable state. Thanks, MardiGrasMike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,400,362 times
Thank you for the compliments from your visits to the area. It is always nice to hear that others enjoy it.

With that said, I'm not sure moving here may be the best fit for you. While medical marijuana is available here and obviously serves you well, the cost of living and adapting to the altitude could be significant factors in your quality of life over the longer term, especially if you are leaving your family and network of support. If you are legally disabled, I do not know how such a status would transfer to things you have available to you here as far as services, mobility, etc. nor whether your personal position would mesh in well with area medical systems such as whether you are a Vet or are working with private insurances, or what have you. Additionally, the change in altitude can have dramatic impacts on some people. If you have visited, you have some experience with that, but it can also have unanticipated long term impacts that you may or may not experience.

There would also be concern with the rapidly escalating price of home ownership and rentals that you may need to earn 3-8% more than you do currently to maintain a similar lifestyle in CO. Colorado Springs is averaging 400 people a month who are relocating here. That far exceeds the available supply of housing and rental starts, so in many cases there are bidding wars for housing. I'm sure you could find some online calculators to assist you with understanding that part of the equation.

The influx of new residents also means that competition for jobs can be fierce. Unemployment rates here are low, so in some cases employers may hold positions for a move if they have a unique skill set they need, but in some cases, there are significant mis-matches in abilities against openings so many jobs still go unfilled despite a lot of applicants.

Obviously craiglist can be a repository of many things to look at in regards to rentals, jobs, and opportunities as well as just the junk locals try to buy and sell. Proceed with caution as some may be false. Also look at a local job board, connectingcolorado.com and a local real estate site, Pikes Peak Assoc of Realtors, PPAR.com to look at rentals and sales of property.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:01 PM

1,013 posts, read 980,076 times
Don’t you want to be in a big city in case you need specialized medical care?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:36 PM

235 posts, read 356,264 times
I hate to say it Mike, but if you can't afford Louisiana you definitely can't afford Colorado. I'd choose a much more affordable locale which also has medical marijuana. Perhaps Arkansas, Florida or West Virginia.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:38 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,306,946 times
or Pueblo ....

Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,449 times
Thanks for all the advice...I have lived close, in San Diego, and know it would be a bit harder, due to the "Cost of Living", but am on disability, and am in the process of getting on the Sec. 8 Housing List in between Trinidad and 'Pike's Peak'. Only problem, is the time it will take, due to the influx of people wanting to move there. MMJ is only ONE reason for my decision to move...between the constant heat and humidity, and the fact I'm not getting any younger, I want to go where I can actually ENJOY waking up just walking outside more than 2-4 WEEKS a year. The humidity makes the broken bones hurt worse, not to mention I noticed a considerable difference, due to the altitude difference. I'm READY...time for CHANGE! Not to mention, being able to save approx. $100 a week, for my Med.s...

Old 11-18-2017, 07:46 PM

1,013 posts, read 980,076 times
If you’re coming here to use marijuana regularly, are you already doing that and aware of the side effects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs