Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 13,199 times

Advertisements

By more diverse I mean not just white people and Mexicans like in Arizona. I enjoy a variety of food and I also like having a variety of different types of people around me since I come from a melting pot. I am definitely not looking for a huge metropolis since I already lived in the most populated part of the country. Since I left South Jersey not North Jersey I do miss the acres big dog parks I used to take my pups to.

I was never really into hitting the city every weekend prior to leaving the East Coast. But I would like the option of being able to hit some cultural things without driving the hour to Denver.

I realized that I went out a lot during winter even though I thought I hated it. You can't go out at all during the summer in Phoenix because it over 100 24/7.

Also I posted because I only saw one other woman in my age range that was single looking to move to COS. It seems like all the people with families get great answers but not a lot of us single folks are looking to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:01 PM

18 posts, read 17,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I guess I would ask what you consider diversity and cultural.

By sheer number, Cos is 70% non-Hispanic white, 16% Hispanic, 6% Black, 5% mixed race, 3% Asian, 1% NA. Due to the military bases and the Olympic Training Center, we have residents from all over the globe, as well as the US, that call Cos home. We have some really good Thai and CHinese places as well as some great German restraunts, Jamacin, Nepalese, etc. You may not find a wide variety of selections within some ethnic choices, but you will find something.

Culturally, we do have our own Philharmonic and their very successful Symphony in the Park Series, the Fine Arts Center, numerous festivals and guest speakers at CC, Art Walks on the west side, Business of Art Center, Bemis Center, several theater companies, the PIkes Peak Center and its many travelling shows that arrive here as well as the recently completed Ent Center for the Performing Arts. Some may view our culture as somewhat low brow. Compared to a major metro, you may consider it lacking as there will not be something major to do every weekend. However, that is part of what lends the balance here with other things to do and see.
THIS! I totally agree. While statistically, yes, COS is predominantly white and/or Hispanic, I do really love it that people hail from all over (you are far more likely to meet someone who is also a transplant than a native) so it doesn't feel as closed minded as some other places I've lived. And I can get everything from my favorite kimchi to pho to my German pretzel rolls (which I used to dream about when we had to leave the last time).

It is pretty family focused, though, I think I've heard the most complaints from single or marrieds without kids, especially if they are used to living in a major metro area (not enough nightlife, not enough high end eating establishments, hard to meet people, etc) and I've heard complaints that it's too conservative/too "churchy" depending on where you are in town. But then again, I know a same-sex couple who love it here for the slower pace and wouldn't dream of returning to their big city life. IDK, you'll have to visit again and see what you think, OP. It sounds like a big city nightlife isn't high on your priority list, though, so COS might fit you well!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 13,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFamily View Post
THIS! I totally agree. While statistically, yes, COS is predominantly white and/or Hispanic, I do really love it that people hail from all over (you are far more likely to meet someone who is also a transplant than a native) so it doesn't feel as closed minded as some other places I've lived. And I can get everything from my favorite kimchi to pho to my German pretzel rolls (which I used to dream about when we had to leave the last time).

It is pretty family focused, though, I think I've heard the most complaints from single or marrieds without kids, especially if they are used to living in a major metro area (not enough nightlife, not enough high end eating establishments, hard to meet people, etc) and I've heard complaints that it's too conservative/too "churchy" depending on where you are in town. But then again, I know a same-sex couple who love it here for the slower pace and wouldn't dream of returning to their big city life. IDK, you'll have to visit again and see what you think, OP. It sounds like a big city nightlife isn't high on your priority list, though, so COS might fit you well!
Thank you for your honesty. The things you point out are the things I have been worried about. I may just need to come back for another visit to see how I feel.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Many people don't seem to realize that all this data is readily available on https://www.city-data.com

https://www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html https://www.city-data.com/city/Denver-Colorado.html

It does occasionally include some serious errors, but most of it is pretty reliable.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,304,718 times
did someone say ALBQ is not very Diverse ?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Default Crazydoglady7

Speaking of affordability of living in Denver VS COS.The RE Market here in the Springs is ridiculous and it will definitely be mirrored in rental costs as well. Go to Realtor.com and do a search.What I have found from studying the area for the last few years is there are a large percentage of people flipping houses (at least in my price range)<$200k.You can tell by the Website the houses which have been maintained over time and the ones to avoid.Most houses on Realtor now show a history of past sales prices on properties. To give an example, there is a house on Realtor ,today selling for $169k which sold for $119k within the last few months.I retired here from Chicago in May 2012 and am just about resigned to living in a 1 BR until Jesus comes again .As far as diversity goes the other Posters were correct in their individual assessments.There are almost 1/2 Million people here and growing.Lots of them are retirees (with more money than me), and Legalized Cannabis is an attraction as well.I know someone from Tucson,here where I am staying.He talked me out of moving to AZ.I m not a fan of sweltering heat, either.Summer here is cooler than the whole Midwest in general and Winters here are still Winter but way better than Chicago The best advice I can give anyone:No matter where you decide to reside ,get that 1st paycheck before you commit to anywhere and have a family/support group to lessen the impact if things don t work out.You will get a better idea of this area from the people on this forum than you will from a travel brochure or the local tourist trade,online.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:45 AM

235 posts, read 356,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you consider all the military folks in COLO SPGS then the city has a fair amount of diversity, especially on the south end near Fort Carson and Peterson AFB....
It's also got a lot of violence on the "south end."

Old 11-10-2017, 05:55 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Interestingly enough, although a certain corridor down there is often associated with crime, things have not really been particularly concentrated there this year, imho. They still tend to occur mostly in the more urban and lower SES parts of the county but within that constraint are kind of all over: 2017 El Paso County homicide victim's map | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Old 11-10-2017, 02:52 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I guess that goes with the territory when you have 30,000 rambunctious Infantry soldiers in the vicinity....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM

113 posts, read 104,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydoglady7 View Post
Hello all,

I can't believe that a year into living in Phoenix and I'm ready to get out of here. It's way to hot, not diverse, and I miss trees. Anyway I have a list going of places I'd like to live. I have been to C Springs before for a work trip. I really miss being in nature with my pups. I'm 30 and single with a good job that could transfer to Colorado. My only concern is diversity and wanted both cultural and nature things. All help is greatly appreciated.
Hello Crazydoglady,

I lived in Colorado Springs for 10 years, i loved it there soo much and miss it terribly! I also currently live in Phoenix, I'm with you the heat and some of the people are terrible here we try and go out to do things and the people are so rude, not only that but everything here costs. There is nothing to do amd I've had locals and natives tell me that! In Colorado Springs they have things to do ALL YEAR long and most of them are free, all you have to pay for is the parking and food at the festivals.

I miss the four seasons and the snow, it is in the 80's here where in Colorado it's in the 60's and 50'd at this time.

It depends on what diversity your talking about? Is it the people or the activities? If it's the people then the Denver area would be better for you. If it's the activities then both area's are perfect. I wish you the best and maybe I'll see ya there because i am moving back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs