Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM

114 posts, read 125,642 times

Advertisements

If you want a big city with big business and big infrastructure, why don't you move to one of those cities that already has all of that? Most people choose a place to live based on the way it is, not what it can become. Personally, I don't like the growth we have now. Our small tax base is having trouble keeping up with current infrastructure maintenance, much less building more. Not everybody wants an increase in population and development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobill View Post
If you want a big city with big business and big infrastructure, why don't you move to one of those cities that already has all of that? Most people choose a place to live based on the way it is, not what it can become. Personally, I don't like the growth we have now. Our small tax base is having trouble keeping up with current infrastructure maintenance, much less building more. Not everybody wants an increase in population and development.
I respect your opinion however I do not think stagnation with low or no growth is the way to go for Colorado Springs the potential is so much greater. Colorado Springs could become a major metropolis if it plays its cards right.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:55 AM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I respect your opinion however I do not think stagnation with low or no growth is the way to go for Colorado Springs the potential is so much greater. Colorado Springs could become a major metropolis if it plays its cards right.
You should research "sustainability." It's a much better plan for the Springs to pursue. I don't know how old you are, but if you really were born in the Springs & if you have never left the area, then I suggest you try moving to a major metropolitan area for a few years and get back to us. Once again, beware what you wish for. Getting it just might cost you much more than you ever thought it would.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
You should research "sustainability." It's a much better plan for the Springs to pursue. I don't know how old you are, but if you really were born in the Springs & if you have never left the area, then I suggest you try moving to a major metropolitan area for a few years and get back to us. Once again, beware what you wish for. Getting it just might cost you much more than you ever thought it would.
If you are interested in sustainability dense urban areas are much more environmentally friendly than the sprawl happy cities that make up most of the United States. Residents that take public transportation and walk or bike have much lower carbon footprints than low density city dwellers. Large cities surrounded by green space I think are the way of the future. Also urban agriculture is really taking off in a big way turning cities from concrete jungles into a much more welcoming environment.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:11 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
COS is about as far from sustainable as you can get. The city's development model is built on expanding ever outwards with tract housing, government welfare in the form of DoD dollars, and driving north to the economic engine that is the northern Front Range.

Let's not mention COS' water usage.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
COS is about as far from sustainable as you can get. The city's development model is built on expanding ever outwards with tract housing, government welfare in the form of DoD dollars, and driving north to the economic engine that is the northern Front Range.

Yea the water issue may be a barrier to further growth in the southwest in the future hopefully desalinization technology takes off in a big way or radical new methods of recycling water appear.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:48 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Do you think a big university is a requisite for a successful city? I find it hard to find other things that COS doesn’t have.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:53 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:

I would agree with your concern about sustainability, but I don’t think the growth pattern is the cause for lack of success in being a great city.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:33 AM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
Quote:
COS is about as far from sustainable as you can get.
I didn't say COS was sustainable. I said the OP should research it sustainability. He asked for more growth. There are different types of growth, and certainly not all of them are beneficial. Large dense urban cities aren't as sustainable as one might imagine, either. Dig deeper. If what you really want is a dense urban environment, then I encourage the OP to first go live in & and learn from one.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Large dense urban cities aren't as sustainable as one might imagine, either.
That simply isn't true urban residents cause far less environmental damage overall. They use less energy water and are more efficiently organized as far as living arrangements. Once cities begin to use more and more renewable energy and urban farming cities will be incredibly self sufficient. We are getting off topic however the point of this thread is how to attract large corporations to Colorado Springs to help it grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs