Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

Culling, not hunting, likely solution to deer overpopulation in Colorado Springs - KRDO

Frank McGee, of Colorado Parks and Wildlife, told the task force that the west side has between 1,500 to 5,000 deer.

"It's mainly because 70 percent of does and fawns survive the winters," he said. "That's a higher percentage than in their natural habitat. Plus, we plant things they like to eat, and we feed them even though we shouldn't."

McGee said to reduce the deer population by half over the next five years, 200 does and fawns per year must be removed, and 100 must be harvested annually to reach the same reduction in 10 years.

"culling" is just hiring a professional hunter

People who live in the foothills have to deal with the fact that these deer will eat anything that you try to grow. They will even eat the bark off of your trees.

At night you need to really slow down if you drive residential roads in that vicinity. It's way too easy to hit a deer.

What are your thoughts? Import a few cougars or coyotes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
IIRC the city did this a number of years ago by hiring hunters who used bows and arrows to hunt with since the discharge of hunting rifles in populated areas is too dangerous. I distinctly recall taking the exit of southbound I-25 onto Uintah and seeing a deer grazing someone's lawn across the street.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
I've got no problem with some skilled bow hunters being dispatched to perform herd maintenance. The irony, IMO, is that we will likely hire several, if not many, "professional" hunters and pay them tens of thousands of dollars each while we probably have perfectly capable persons in the DOW that could perform this service as a part of their job and they might enjoy the change in work duties.

I wouldn't agree that bringing in more alpha predators would be a good move. These animals would not target the deer herds so much as they look for the easiest meal of opportunity, which could be family pets or even small children. On top of that, if they do manage to take a large animal, its remains will be sitting in a neighborhood for some time while its all consumed and processed.

I'm also not in favor of any relocation efforts.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Deer are a big problem in many parts of the country. In the mid-west and east, they have the white-tailed deer that's overrunning cities and towns, and out here we have the mule deer. What have the more populated cities in the east done about their deer populations?

Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
Time magazine had a interesting issue out a handful of years ago about this. It's a byproduct of our desire to be environmentally friendly, and these are the consequences.

America's Pest Problem: It's Time to Cull the Herd | Time.com

Old 01-26-2018, 04:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
Is this only a problem west of the freeway? I live east of the freeway and north, and have only seen 1 deer in the past 6-9 months.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Is this only a problem west of the freeway? I live east of the freeway and north, and have only seen 1 deer in the past 6-9 months.
There's a herd of 8-12 that are by my parents place in Black Forest that they see most days. I really like them!!!

I think part of the issue is people should take more effort not to plant things deer like (which can be tricky actually) and the herds could probably be thinned some. I think they should post this as an opportunity and let it be free, but you have to use a bow/crossbow and have to demonstrate capability before a council

Old 01-30-2018, 04:02 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
I live in Briargate near Rampart HS and I've had deer in my front yard munching on all of our flowers. I turned on the sprinklers to shoo them away and they just walked across the street and started eating the neighbor's flowers.

They follow the riparian channels of the creeks that flow into Monument creek. I have one of those creeks behind my back yard.

So yes, we do get deer East of I-25 although in much lower quantities.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Yes, it is predominately west of the Interstate, but they are increasing everywhere. My brother is out in Peyton and they have a herd out there that is increasing in size annually, despite also being the target of a local pack of cougars.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:44 PM

384 posts, read 376,672 times
I almost hit one right in front of Garden of the Gods right before I moved last summer. I remember seeing a small car sitting on top of a deer on I25 a while back , I thought omg what happened LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs