Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs map provider closing after 40 years | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

This makes me sad. I love this store and I love paper maps and atlases. But, I don't need a new map every day and times are changing. I guess it is a testament that they were the last surviving map store in the entire state....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:10 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
I love maps too, but haven't been to that store in a long while (all my maps are rather dog-eared).

That is sad news. But it's surprising they were able to hang on for as long as they did.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:33 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
When I first moved to Colorado Springs, I bought all the topo maps.

I still have them and they are still accurate. I do know how to navigate with a compass and a topo map; I learned that in Boy Scouts many years ago.

I could buy a Garmin navigator, but I'd never want to be dependent on batteries. However, most people now use electronic navigation.

Mac Van filled a niche, but technology has replaced them. I guess there are no typewriter shops left as well.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:43 PM

Yeah I guess I'm old school like you - I still prefer paper maps. Even if I get them online and print them out.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
When I first moved to Colorado Springs, I bought all the topo maps.

I still have them and they are still accurate. I do know how to navigate with a compass and a topo map; I learned that in Boy Scouts many years ago.

I could buy a Garmin navigator, but I'd never want to be dependent on batteries. However, most people now use electronic navigation.

Mac Van filled a niche, but technology has replaced them. I guess there are no typewriter shops left as well.
Personally, I never minded getting a little lost.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Personally, I never minded getting a little lost.
Depends on the definition of 'lost' for me. If that just means 'not on a trail' but you still understand your location relative to various features like a trail, road, compass points, key landmarks, etc., yeah I think that is generally fine as long as you're being careful about not getting yourself into terrain you can't back out of if necessary. For driving, again the key is being able to back yourself out if necessary - but having just a vague idea of how the roads may connect up or line up is sometimes fine, especially when you're in a place where there are plenty of options.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Great thing about topo maps is while mankind may add roads, buildings, and malls, overall the geography does not radically change. I've got topo maps of the whole state from I25 west that I purchased back in the '80s. They are still fine and useful for navigation off pavement.

Yes, paper maps are a niche. One that may still need to be filled, but sadly, no longer by a local supplier.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 PM

385 posts, read 324,283 times
I love maps -- no not digital readouts, but updated versions of the USGS 7.5 minute topo maps. Periodically, some of these maps actually get updated, fact-checked, etc. as the USGS employs new mapping technologies.

It cost me about 35.00, but I have one fantastic 7.5m topo map of the Rio Chama wilderness (Northern New Mexico). I got it from mytopo.com. If you are going to (or plan to?) extensively explore an area, you can afford a really good durable topo map, printed on waterproof paper. We can't afford to be seriously lost, even with a PLB (= personal locator beacon) device. To scramble SAR is really expensive, and even if the state bears most the cost . . .

I am glad that at least Colorado still has a mapping company in business -- Latitude 40o maps: https://www.latitude40maps.com/

For those CO residents (which I am not . . . yet), do you still find these Latitutde 40o maps useful? I am quite interested in buying some.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
I love maps -- no not digital readouts, but updated versions of the USGS 7.5 minute topo maps. Periodically, some of these maps actually get updated, fact-checked, etc. as the USGS employs new mapping technologies.

It cost me about 35.00, but I have one fantastic 7.5m topo map of the Rio Chama wilderness (Northern New Mexico). I got it from mytopo.com. If you are going to (or plan to?) extensively explore an area, you can afford a really good durable topo map, printed on waterproof paper. We can't afford to be seriously lost, even with a PLB (= personal locator beacon) device. To scramble SAR is really expensive, and even if the state bears most the cost . . .

I am glad that at least Colorado still has a mapping company in business -- Latitude 40o maps: https://www.latitude40maps.com/

For those CO residents (which I am not . . . yet), do you still find these Latitutde 40o maps useful? I am quite interested in buying some.
Never heard of them. There are other map makers around just not with store fronts etc. anymore. For example, I use the Pikes Peak Atlas extensively, and also the entire Pocket Pals trail maps series, and there are a few others out there too....

Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
We were in the Lost Creek Wilderness and my father-in-law with his Garmin. We wanted to head back to the car but my spatial awareness told me one way, and his Garmin said another. Happily he listened to me as we made it back to the car :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: