Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Ditto.

Besides, I like supporting what little is left of locally owned businesses/restaurants when I can. I haven't stepped foot in a mall in years - actually Park Meadows was it, and that was only to see what the big deal was about IKEA.

I can't think of anything I can't find in stores locally (or online) that I'd need (or want) to go to a mall for.
IKEA is not in Park Meadows Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,861,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
IKEA is not in Park Meadows Mall.
Who cares? It's close, and to me, it's the same thing as going to a mall. A big nightmare not worth the trip.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,755 times
Quote:
Oh yes...that definitely explains by Park Meadows was so crowded yesterday that it was difficult to even find a parking space and why you couldn't walk in a straight line once you get in the mall due to the crowd.
Going to the mall in Denver kind of explains why we can’t support a mall here. If you shopped here, our local mall would do better.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
This might be an, "outsider," opinion, but I

1. Didn't visit the Citadel the first year we lived here after being told how awful the area was.

2. Thought Chapel Hills was a major disappointment.

3. Finally visited the Citadel after the Barnes & Nobel a few times nearby seemed very nice and found it:
A: Less deserted and just as nice as Chapel Hills.
B: A step above the Aurora Mall - maybe a few.

Colorado Springs is such an interesting place.
Definitely this. People act afraid of the Citadel as if it is some gangland or something but there's nothing wrong with aside from losing big anchors - however Chapel Hills has the same issue and honestly the Citadel is a bit nicer, imho. There is far too much of a mentality in this city that certain areas of town are slums and dangerous to go to, etc., when that is so far from the truth and does a great disservice to a big portion of this city and the people living in those areas. It frankly disgusts me.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,394,489 times
I agree the SE side of town gets a bad rap. I will say that I'm impressed how abcdefg567 tends to get out and about to a lot of the city. Heck, she even toughed out a trip to Dorchester Park, which I would never consider doing, and it isn't even on the SE side of town. We could use more with her sense of adventure.

I'm always shocked by how many residents never go south of Woodman or even Austin Bluffs Pkwy. Granted, there may not be any reason to do so if everything you need can be found north of there. There really is nothing spectacular about SE Cos, but it certainly is a varied area that does have some pretty decent areas within its borders, not the least of which is a large population of really good mexican based food trucks.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 AM

And actually, now that I think about it, Park Meadows was the last mall I've been to ... about 7 or 8 years ago. And that was only to meet "in the middle" (sort of) with my niece who was coming down from WY to Denver for the day.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I agree the SE side of town gets a bad rap. I will say that I'm impressed how abcdefg567 tends to get out and about to a lot of the city. Heck, she even toughed out a trip to Dorchester Park, which I would never consider doing, and it isn't even on the SE side of town. We could use more with her sense of adventure.

I'm always shocked by how many residents never go south of Woodman or even Austin Bluffs Pkwy. Granted, there may not be any reason to do so if everything you need can be found north of there. There really is nothing spectacular about SE Cos, but it certainly is a varied area that does have some pretty decent areas within its borders, not the least of which is a large population of really good mexican based food trucks.
Agree. And not to mention how much less of a nightmare driving is in those areas - even S. Nevada, which can get very busy, doesn't seem as bad as trying to figure out how to get around Woodmen and the NE side of town.

There's a lot of good mom and pop restaurants too, along with those food trucks.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,755 times
Quote:
The promenade is nothing but a strip mall. I hate strip malls.

The one store at Park Meadows I couldn't understand was a technology store -- packed to the hilt -- but it had no identifying name to it. Weird.
I disagree that the Promenade is a strip mall. It is a medium sized outdoor mall that has been the recent trend in shopping areas.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 AM

753 posts, read 1,105,409 times
I think I've only been to the Citadel once in the 7.5 years I've lived here, but I quite often drive out along E Pikes Peak to the Home Depot and Lowes in the same area and I agree that there's nothing really horrible about that neighborhood. The homes seem well-maintained and it's not nearly as scary as e.g. parts of New Haven only a few blocks from where I once lived!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I think I've only been to the Citadel once in the 7.5 years I've lived here, but I quite often drive out along E Pikes Peak to the Home Depot and Lowes in the same area and I agree that there's nothing really horrible about that neighborhood. The homes seem well-maintained and it's not nearly as scary as e.g. parts of New Haven only a few blocks from where I once lived!
I know what you mean re New Haven. I'm from CT and used to live near New Haven before coming out to Colorado - there were parts of that city I wouldn't go near, but that's not the case in Colorado Springs.

It's been said before - "scary" parts here are not the same as "scary" parts back east (or elsewhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs