Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
How about making yourself so educated and proficient in your field that employers will voluntarily pay you more?
Or even better yet so educated and proficient in your field that you don't need an "employer" and you can be your own employer. That's the best deal of all. Really the only way to have a modicum of sanity and control over one's own life and destiny. Isn't that why so many of our ancestors generations ago left the old country and came to America - to effectively be their own employer (own land)? Being an employee seems about the equivalent of being a servant of some medieval nobility - ultimately they own and control you. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Guess it wasn't so stupid of me to want to be a "Lowly Mechanic" as some people put it...

I have multiple places trying to headhunt me away for $25hr jobs, and the demand is only getting stronger every year. If you want to survive in the Springs, you need a skilled talent.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM

536 posts, read 961,782 times
I grew up in Colorado Springs back in the mid 1960s to early 70s. My parents retired back there in the early 80s. My father is buried there now. Most of my family is starting to move back to C Springs. I would love to retire back there, but can't afford the housing. It's sad. Wish I had bought something way back when. To get anything decent you need to pay close to 300,000 and renting is out of sight over a 1,000 or more for anything decent. I was surprised to see on the video that min wage is now 10.50 in Colorado? That has come a long way. (Here in Kentucky it's 7.25.) The housing market will continue to grow, and prices will climb. It's a popular destination. If I could afford to, I would live in Monument or Palmer Lake area. Not sure I could afford anywhere in Colorado now. :-(

Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
I grew up in Colorado Springs back in the mid 1960s to early 70s. My parents retired back there in the early 80s. My father is buried there now. Most of my family is starting to move back to C Springs. I would love to retire back there, but can't afford the housing. It's sad. Wish I had bought something way back when. To get anything decent you need to pay close to 300,000 and renting is out of sight over a 1,000 or more for anything decent. I was surprised to see on the video that min wage is now 10.50 in Colorado? That has come a long way. (Here in Kentucky it's 7.25.) The housing market will continue to grow, and prices will climb. It's a popular destination. If I could afford to, I would live in Monument or Palmer Lake area. Not sure I could afford anywhere in Colorado now. :-(
What would your budget be? Maybe there is something...

Old 09-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Otowi I have been looking on the realtor sites, but it's just so expensive. It would have to be under 250,000, and things I find at that price are fixer uppers. Have seen some townhomes, but very hard to find something on the north side of town. Some of my family is in Denver, and some will be in C. Springs. I thought about Canon City or around that area. Still investigating. Might be able to push the budget to 275,000 but it's a stretch to get to 250,000.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
A while back we looked at some moderately priced new homes

Floor Plans - MasterBilt Homes, Inc.

The are building just north of East Woodman Rd on the way to Falcon. They had a few ranchers at about $250K. These were small homes but they did have individual lots.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Decent being the keystone in that statement. Certainly decent can vary widely depending on our perceptions. If decent is a newer 3bd, 2.5bt home anyplace north of Woodman, then there probably are not many decent places. There are still pockets of reasonable to be found throughout the city such as Mesa Springs, Venetion Village, Holland Park, Village Seven, Elsmere, Stetson Hills, and others. Certainly looking into condo or townhome units further north also opens up options too. Here is a 3bd 2 bth rancher in Antelope Ridge for $119k. Include central air, 2 car garage, and an HOA. Looks decent to me. MLS#: 7204478, https://ppar.com/search/property.aspx?q=28803358

The thing about sub $250k houses is there is not as many of them being built any more and you have to be on the spot with pre-approved financing to snag one.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
According to Zillow there are over 429 listings of houses between 150-275k in the Springs metro area.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Rents in the Springs are simply unbelievable. I have used padmapper to check out the neighborhoods I would want to live in - 80906, 80904, and 80829. I need a 2 bedroom and can pay $1100/month. There are places out there priced that low, but they tend to be dumps. Many I actually remember from when I lived in the Springs before and they are houses or apartments I would not live in if you paid me. I'm beginning to feel that I will never be able to move back home. How depressing is that?

Old 09-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A while back we looked at some moderately priced new homes

Floor Plans - MasterBilt Homes, Inc.

The are building just north of East Woodman Rd on the way to Falcon. They had a few ranchers at about $250K. These were small homes but they did have individual lots.

Nice looking homes. Thanks for posting. Apparently I need to do some investigating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs